The change to lightsaber action in tight quarters in RotS

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BothofUs Jedi Master

star 4
    Usually in Star Wars, lightsaber action occurs in open areas where the duel can move to anywhere. Here are some examples:
    TPM: Naboo City Streets, Tatooine Desert, Reactor Chamber
    AotC: Landing Platform, Factory Conveyor Belt, Arena, Hangar
    ANH: Hallway (not too confined, but not too open either)
    ESB: C. Freezing Chamber
    RotJ: Desert/Barge Fleet, Throne Room

But, did anyone notice that a lot of the lightsaber action in RotS was done in close quarters?. I think this was done intentionally to add to the tension. Here are some examples:

-Two jedi vs. Grievous and Guards at the Bridge of the the IH.
    -Palpatine vs. Mace in the office
    -Obi-Wan vs. GG on a catwalk
    -Yoda vs. Sidious on senate rostrum
    -Anakin vs. Obi-Wan in hallway, on floating tower, lava surfing
  2. COMMANDER76 Jedi Master

star 4
    Good points.....I think you've answered your own thread:p
  3. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Um, yes very good observation.
  4. DUGGY Jedi Youngling

star 4
  5. halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling

star 4
    spielberg's idea wasn't it? the lava surfing? I love that whole ending of the movie from Mustafar on!

duggy check your pm's man!
  6. BothofUs Jedi Master

star 4
    Also, the two Jedi in the elevator is another example.
  7. jedi_jacks Jedi Master

star 4
    when anavader was hacking up that hallway, that was awesome. obi-wan musta been surprised.

8. sithreaper Jedi Master

star 3
    The amount of room changes fights, in close the more powerful + Superior swordsman will win.

for example

If Qui Gon would have fought Maul in a smaller (rather then a desert) he would have been killed.
    If Palpatine had more room he would have likely beaten mace
    If the space was more confined Yoda would have beaten palps. (due to been a better swordsman, palps needed to keep Yoda at range)
    Same with Anakin vs Kenobi 1.

Just watch the Anakin vs Dooku as soon as the count runs out of places to back up to its game over.
  9. Lord_NoONE Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In order for Anakin to have defeated Obi-Wan he needed to focus his rage, hatred, and the darkside. As it was, he was too erratic and inexperienced in the darkside. He was not a master of evil at the time his former master confronted him on Mustafar...that was his major problem.
  10. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    No quarters could be any tighter for lightsaber battle than two Jedi in a lightsaber attempting to defend themselves from armed battledroids.
  11. Headphonekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9513/endduel6ts.gif]
  12. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    ...and of course that hallway. It happened so fast and I haven't seen the film in so long I actually forgot about it. But yeah, no room to move in there. That scene looks like when Vader is attacking Luke in that room on the ledge in Cloud City just before cutting off his hand. Same ferocity and reckless abandon.
  13. Headphonekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    That's exactly what I was reminded of when I saw it... now if he would have started chuckin air ducts and AC units at Obiwan:oops:
  14. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Well, he sort of did parallel that action of hurling pieces of equipment from the walls when he entered the Mustafar war room. He started ripping things from walls.
  15. jedi_jacks Jedi Master

star 4
    headphonekenobi, you read my mind.

ps - also, can someone, sometime make an animated gif that shows the entire hallway part shown in the movie. my favorite part of any duel in the OT or PT. plus, id like to clean up the divx logo. maybe ill try it when i get a RotS DVD.

16. simon-the-ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really consider the Senate Arena to be close quarters.
  17. thechozn1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it was really nothing more than them wanting to show they had CGI... again. You know they had to remind us of that constantly. Kinda like "Hey, we can show them in tight quarters and have the lightsabers cutting up the walls... YAY!"
  18. BothofUs Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really consider the Senate Arena to be close quarters.

I said on the senate rostrum, if you read the original post.

I think it was really nothing more than them wanting to show they had CGI... again. You know they had to remind us of that constantly. Kinda like "Hey, we can show them in tight quarters and have the lightsabers cutting up the walls... YAY!"

I don't think it was that at all. Nor do I ever think that is a motive behind a scene.
  19. thechozn1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I do, and since I have an entire movie(s) to back that up you're gonna need a little proof to back up that it's never a motivation. IMO it's why the PT was made really. GL wanted to showcase some new toys.

I think too much is being read into it as far as wanting to add drama or get the audience feeling the scene because of these "close quarters". I don't recall anyone screaming out "Oh my god!!! What are they doing. Those are tight spaces. Are they crazy? Out of their mind? Jesus, this sure is making me tense. What's next, machine washing clothes that are dry clean only. I don't think I could handle anything else this wild and CRAZY."
  20. thechozn1 Force Ghost

star 4

As a licensed Master HVAC professional, I would really take offense to that :p
  21. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Just a random belief that I hold is that "Close Quarters" are what made RoTS the best prequal and allowed it to tie itself to the OT. In TPM and AoTC, we know of tons of Jedi and tons of new characters, all alive and well. I was totally unspoiled for TPM, and I was overwhelmed trying to remember all the names of the new Jedi Council members, Trade Federation members, Senators, Naboo Entourage, Gungans, Etc. Large battles were fought on the open plains. AoTC had more of this. (No, I'm not bashing the first two, in fact, I rather like all of the PT) However, RoTS shows alot of our friends getting killed off. At the end, there are many fewer characters that we are familiar with in a GFFA, a stark contrast to Episodes 1 & 2. The battlefield, along with the known characters, becomes smaller. Instead of Hundreds of Jedi in an arena, we have Obi-Wan Vs. Anakin. The OT had fewer characters of any importance and had a much more intimate feel at times. Narrowing the scope of the characters and battles by the end of RoTS allowed it to feel more OT. No need to worry about Ki-Adi, Mace, Ploo, Kit, Aayla, etc. They are all dead. Focus on Obi-wan, Anakin, Yoda, Sids, and those Twins.

Andy
  22. jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Master

star 3
    i didnt like the lava surfing at all- nor did i like the bridge or the lava protectors- it really bothers me for some reason- i actually hadnt even pictured mustafar like that- if anybody has read the book "shatterpoint" harrun kal is a jungle poisonous planet with volcanos- that is exactly how i picture mustafar that that is where i pictured the final duel- now im not quite sure which one i like better- i think i like the actual mustafar better- but without the annoying lava surfing and the industrialization thing going on
  23. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    First off great point! It seems that the areas got smaller as the PT went along. Meaning, yes TPM there was some tight areas. In AOTC it got even more confined. But, in "Sith" it was almost smothering.
  24. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    As far as close quarter combat goes, I like the part where Anakin and Obi take care of the droids in the elevator.
  25. Marine00 Jedi Padawan

You know, the battle was originally supposed to be on Sullust, not Mustafar- I have no idea why GL changed it...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.