main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Chapman Brothers - Art or Vulgarity?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth_Asabrush, Oct 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
  2. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    I admit I found all of the three work fascinating and strangely attractive to look at, particularly Work No. 2.

To me this is art - there is a beauty in the pieces that takes them beyond vulgarity. Admittedly, Work No. 3 appears to have been inspired by the film Society - a film closely related to vulgarity so perhaps the Chapman Brothers' intention is to push the limits of acceptability in order to attract and hold the attention of their audience.

They are art as far as I'm concern, perhaps questionable and sensationalist art, but still art :)

3. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Cheers C!

I have my opinions but will keep them to myself for the time being!

4. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Hmmmm, not many people with opinions on contemporary art by the looks of it......

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    After taking a few glances at those pieces of work, I'd say they're interesting and yes, they are art. I don't see how people could consider them vulgar, unless they're very strict - although I wouldn't recommend children viewing them, since it could place some disturbing thoughts in their heads.

I think that the only problem with viewing them would be maturity - some younger audiences may make immature comments about them.

6. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Admittedly when first looking at them, I could not comment I was not sure on which one to go with. But after a couple of looks and thinking about it a while I would go with art.

I find the pictures that you put up to be quite interesting they made me think on how it was done, more because I am interested in art and images and how people create them.

7. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'd say it was art (and I've seen worse *shudders* than this)

Part of contemporary art is shock value and this pulls that off quit nicely expecailly since accord to the chapman brothers that was what they intended.

8. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    I don't find them vulgar but I do find these works unsettling. A quick glance will reveal little out of the ordinary but on closer inspection you find that the figures are hermaphrodite(esque). The multitude of limbs and in many cases sexual organs on the bodies of young females hits a nerve - which I'm sure is intended.

The Chapmans use the human body as simple assemblages with the main torso as a starting point with limitless purmutations. They aslo admit that the is a sense of bad taste involved in their work - I would agree.

One critic described them as trying to create a cultural value of nil, an aesthetic of insensitivity and indifference.

This is most definately art.

9. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Whoa! Double post - haven't done that in a while!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.