1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The Character Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Rayson, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bad_feeling_haver Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Ya know, maybe they can't [face_thinking]. Some kind of low/ mid-level Sith might be, but an uber-sith would pretty much be an uber-character by definition, and those are universally despised. And any uber-sith PC someone might create would probably seem like a rehash of a canon character just because we've seen that character so many times in-canon (Exar Kun, Revan, Nihilus, Bane, Palpatine, Vader). It's kind of hard to do something creative with a character like that.

I always wondered that too. I used to go on the Bioware forums a lot, and it seemed like for all their games, not just KOTOR, about 80% of people preferred to play the "evil path." I guess people do it to exercise those Freudian feelings, since evil people can indiscriminately kill people they don't like, extort money, insult people, stay up past their bedtime, eat dessert before dinner, etc, but people aren't allowed to do that in society and real life. So it lets the id and superego have their fun.

I don't have a problem with that (in video games, at least), but it was always strange to me because I was one of the other group, who preferred to play the good path. Because the idealized good guy is just as much of a fantasy as full evil bad guy above. I'm too impotent to be a hero in real life, so I do it through a video game character, and imagine everyone likes me.

My only point is that it's just weird that so many people prefer one juvenile fantasy as opposed to another, equally juvenile fantasy. I would just have expected a ratio more like 50/50 or something. 'Cause even here, although you do see the occasional uber-good Jedi, it does happen with Sith a lot more.
  2. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    For me I have trouble playing evil because I legitimately feel bad doing evil things. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but for me (as long as the game is really well-done; Fallout 3 and KOTOR both do it for me, but GTA4 doesn't) I don't feel comfortable with doing evil things in some video games.
  3. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    I feel exactly the same, Hammurabi: this is why you never see me playing Sith, or Imperials. Just isn't a comfortable experience for me.

It's kind of like wearing a T-shirt with "that" iconic image of Che Guevara without realising:

(a) Che was a communist revolutionary, and probably would've despised his image being used in the capitalist way it is; and

(b) Aside from being a revolutionary (or perhaps as a consequence of it) Che was also a mass murderer of his own people. It's kind of like wearing a T-shirt with Stalin's face on it.
  4. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Ha. But the Baron?

Speaking of which...
  5. Apadamek Jedi Knight

star 3
    A answers B, it's his punishment for having failed.
  6. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    Che's an interesting figure. I don't want to get off-topic, but I wouldn't classify him as necessarily good or evil, though I would tend to lean towards good. Revolutions normally go hand-in-hand with atrocities - I would categorize the United States as an exception in this instance. Che's goals were ultimately very noble, and I find it hard to say much bad against a man who gave his life up in the ultimate pursuit of reducing poverty.

No matter what Che the man did, Che the icon is indisputably awesome. I love his supposed (possibly true) last words: "Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man." Then there's the image of him, which is an incredible portrait - one which is still imitated today. The Obama 'Hope' image is pretty much a direct rip on the monochrome image of Che.

And I would like to play an 'evil' character sometime, but I'd want to play a justifiably evil character. A lot of the sith lord-type characters are just evil for no damn reason. That doesn't fly with me.
  7. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    In most cases, I agree with you, Hammur. About the idiocy of playing a Sith without a backstory to explain violent sociopath tendencies. However, there are some people who are just crazy.
  8. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    I cannot play happily play bad guys in video games, eg. I couldn't play Germans in Medal of Honour, or Imperials for very long in Battlefront, but I am okay writing as Imperials / Black Sun in fanfic/RPF because I just write them as being your average workers doing their jobs, and believing in what they do.

I am not sure how to phrase this, but there will be times in roleplay and presumably in real life where your 'good' character legitimately gets the drop on a bad guy, but the player for the bad guy manipulates the circumstances to put innocent lives at stake if you carry on with your move. The human shield scenario if you like.

You might not like doing bad things, playing bad people, and want to maintain the goody two shoes thing as long as you can, but not everyone can walk away from an opportunity when it presents itself.
    And when you reach that stage, you could find yourself with a character that is certainly regarded as evil or bad.
  9. SaddhaQinntara Jedi Knight

10. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    There's a fantastic description of a naturally progressing fall if I ever saw one.=D=

I'm inclined to agree with the general consensus here that super Sith should only be NPCs, but then, why do so many seem to think that every Sith has to be so bloody fantastic? I'd love to see a really inept Sith character, just for once...
  11. LordTroepfchen Force Ghost

star 4
    My take on Über-Sith is . . . they can be played like any other character. As a character. Not a device for awesomenss. They are more difficult, because you have to operate with emotions more unusual than our own. But if you play them as a character with a true personality, it isn´t a problem.

A problem IS: Players attracted to them play them as concepts. Or to feel save. Superior. They don´t let them have flaws. Or let other characters do anything else than marvel at their power or obey their authority.

I have seen three really powerful Sith played right, ever.

Number 1 - Was dead. But to obsessed to let go. And so corruptive that he literally pressed his worshipers into deadly conflicts. A driven entity. Long gone but to stubborn to understand that.

Number 2- Did a good job in showing the burden of loneliness and insanity. Played him megalomaniac and deadly and took himself totally back when it came to influence others storylines. He was just a crazy thing that happened to be the most powerful of them all through age alone. But was rotten to his core. And very shakespearian.

Number 3- Made him psychological incredibly deep. How the disapproval of his master pushed him to get better and better no matter the cost. A slave to his power. A junkie. Finally he died in a spectecular fight.

And I have to agree. A Sith who isn´t really good in what he does could be great. Think of the potential for anger, if you fall behind . . .
  12. SaddhaQinntara Jedi Knight

[face_laugh]
  13. JohnHunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    Stop it. Don't be rude.

I'm glad you enjoyed my post on technique and such but you shouldn't just make fun of someone like that.
    That's a good way to get banned anyway, so watch it.
  14. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    That comment was meant as an example of the ineffectiveness of the technique and not my overall skill with children's toys anyway.:p

And you're welcome to take my cousin on. He's got enough energy that when you get into later rounds you'll just lose anyway.:p
  15. SaddhaQinntara Jedi Knight

excuses. :p

i have a history with Kendo also so i doubt that. unlike some people it takes more than a little child to pose a challenge to me.

though i will say that i am sorry if i insulted you and made either of you cross. -bows-
  16. JohnHunter Jedi Knight

star 3

First off, excuses or not, you don't make fun of people. I'm suprised you haven't been banned because of that, frankly.

Second, if you do have skill in swordsmanship, perhaps you wouldn't be afraid of giving me a little sparring session then? The only other person here on the forums besides myself who actually is a Martial Artist is GrandAdmiralJello and he's normally a bit busy.;)

So how about it?
  17. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    just my two cents, but laughing at something that is, quite frankly, funny is not going to get you banned. go check the YJCC sometime, that would be like a drop in the bucket. while i realize we are vastly more civilized over here, but if someone's gonna be insulted at a situation like ramza posted being laughed at they REALLY need to ask themselves why.

anyways, i chuckled at that quite a bit myself ramza.;)

:snoopy
  18. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    I am actually sure the Mods have seen it by now. Otherwise I am in absolute agreement with Trimaj that posting ->[face_laugh]<- is no reason to get banned. Happens to me all the time in the social boards.

Using the guild to discuss this in the open instead of bringing the matter to PMs might abtually be another thing.

And JohnHunter, you are not the only Martial Artist on the board. Not even close to it. ;)

So, let´s use this thread for what it has been founded for.

I have been asked twice last week how one creates characters. I have send both persons to the new adoptions-program and they never joined us in the end in the RPF.

So, how does everybody create a character? When you decide to join a game.

My own method is of little use, I am afraid, as I simply am "jumped" by my characters. Who are simply there the moment I see the game. But some others seem to have a more complex process. How do you people create your original character?
  19. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    me, i just kinda look at the game, and wait to see what kind of situation in the game strikes my fancy. sometimes it's being the good guy, sometimes it's the ambiguous guy, sometimes the bad guy. but i build off of the type of "role" i want to play in that game.

:snoopy
  20. bad_feeling_haver Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I have come up with a couple after seeing a game, but actually so far I have mostly come up with concepts for characters out of the blue, then built character traits around the central concept, and then I just basically put them to the side until I see a good game for the character. I like to do that just so I don't forget the concept, but I don't know if that's a good method though, because about half the time I can't pick an era for the character, and of course the native era informs a lot of the characters traits and experiences. For example, I was trying to develop an "atypical Sith" character based on the above discussion, not to use in any particular game, but I can't decide if it should be pre- or post-Darth Bane.

But then, I figure I can always change those details if I want to use the character in an incompatible era (i.e. if I made a char who was one of Malak's Sith officers, I can keep a lot of the core of the character and change him to an Imperial officer. Or change the way in which my Sith character came to be a Sith, but keep the same basic personality. Of course, you have to do that on a case by case basis). I just usually get around the problems of creating the character with no specific game in mind. But I'm curious as to how other people do it and if anyone else does it that way.
  21. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    That is interesting o_O Couldn´t be more different from my method. Without a game, now, out of the blue . . . I couldn´t make a character.
  22. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    Movie/Book/Life characters.

My latest two characters, both for Ramza's game Aria of the Soul, are good examples.

The girl, is entirely designed after one of my good friends, sans the powers. My scarred up guy, was influenced by Fight Club, and in particular, the final sequence, where Edward Norton shoots himself in the face.

My question: Does anyone ever make their characters an extension of themselves?
  23. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've always wanted to learn fencing or some other form of swordsmanship. Someday, maybe.

Anyway, how I create characters is probably less than useful too. :p I start with some archetype in mind - Jedi Knight, slicer, sniper, smuggler etc depending on the game and setting - and then I just keep thinking about it until the character forms. Then I sketch it out as simply as I can - maybe the Jedi Knight is a second-generation Jedi, maybe the slicer is a wimp, the sniper is an obsessive serial killer, and so on - and fill in the Appearance section with some random attributes, pick a name, and I'm done.

I can't create a character without a game/setting either, though. I just find it impossible, a person is a product of their environment, so transplanting characters from one setting to another (or from a vacuum to a game) usually needs a lot of rewriting for me. Same reason why I hate the Personality section.
  24. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree with you, Xan. People are adaptive, and shouldn't be expected to restrict themselves to any base personality. They should react, as appropriate.

I'm, currently, a supporter of Ramza's new system of Morality.
  25. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    A short time ago I compiled a little book for a friend of ours. Present. I copied and pasted two character-sheets me and SirakRomar had played for a long time and found out . . . we played them completely different than we had written in the personality section.

:p

Well, I do it the Xan way. Usually searching for a twist that hasn´t been done before.

And I also use movie templates rather often. I once played a guy called Yorrel. Yoda-species conman. In Fool´s Gamble. I told RZion into the face, that I wanted a Rigel-like (Farscape) character. From there we build him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.