1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The Character Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Rayson, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes exactly. :p I wince every time I compare how I play a character to what I wrote in the personality. I keep trying to stick to it - like, keep the CS open in another tab and keep referring back while I write posts - but it never works. [face_blush]
  2. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    meh, the personality section's a bit overrated to me. people aren't precisely static, you know? so they change and morph based on the situation they are currently in. if you try to force a character into a specific mold then... well, they get boring. it's really that simple.

:snoopy
  3. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    It's spontaneity, that we pay to see, here at the RPF.
  4. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    That´s why I never have a Personality Field, when I GM. I don´t see the sense. And actually fidning out "who" they players are, is half the fun.
  5. Mitth_Fisto Force Ghost

star 5
    I should see about playing one your games later then Fin, I never know what to write in Personality and it feels like putting on a choke-colar that I keep having to pull myself back on track with for a character.
  6. bad_feeling_haver Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    That's what I do. I just always get the idea for the twist before I find a game to put the char in... (Plus i'm pretty busy IRL now, so I don't want to get into anymore games until one I'm in concludes, although i wish i had time to use all my characters :) ).

I don't particularly like a Personality section either, mostly because I think the Bio usually gives a lot more pertinent information about who the character is, and I think you get a pretty good idea of a character's personality just from concocting him in your head.

I haven't included one on a character I've actually used yet, but I don't think I would find personality sections particularly restricting either. I consider the CS just a snapshot of who the character is at the time the game begins, but I pretty much anticipate that he will change and have a character arc over the course of the game.

Now that I think of it, I'm not able to do it with all my chars, but the best ones kind of have the first part of a character arc built in, in the form of a specific goal that has not been accomplished, or a responsibility they are reluctant to perform. I need to work at incorporating that into every character [face_thinking]... Does anyone else do that?

7. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sometimes, my characters or npcs, will have a goal that they have not achieved yet. Not sure if I mention those in the CS's when they apply, or it is something I keep to myself.
  8. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    I am sure we will find opportunity for that. I am a great fan of your little Drall, indeed. Who would hardly be describably in a personality section, I think. Especially BEFORE you ever player him.

9. Mitth_Fisto Force Ghost

star 5
    I have to agree with the bio section, I will sometimes update the bio during a game so I have a reference of the past as it shapes the future.

Thanks DarkLordoftheFins, I guess I should break my partial rule of rarely-playing full fledged force users more often, of course as soon as I do that I'll either get rich[face_money_eyes] or miss spotting the falling activated lightsaber collection of Darth Sidious[face_skull]
  10. JohnHunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well I just think it was a bit mean for him to make fun of Ramza just because he isn't good at something.
    And I'm actually proud of how we're so civilized and compassionate here at JCF.[face_peace]

Good to know that GrandAdmiralJello and I aren't alone.;)
  11. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    I could honestly care less about it. Lightsaber duels do not a career in physics make.:p

Back on topic, I always view a Personality (*coughandPersonacough*) section as where your character stands as the game begins. It dictates the earliest actions, but can shift over time and should. Static characters are boring to watch and boring to play.
  12. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    I understand the idea, and it depends on the way you play character´s I ugess. I myself feel into them. See what they seem to behave like naturally. You can write Introverted, only to realize he can´t be and so on . . .

But we must assume, that it might be a field even needed by some players. I remember feeling it very comfortable to know what "my char was like" when I was knew to this whole thing.

It is obviously a limitation to complexity. But one easily ignored.
  13. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
  14. JohnHunter Jedi Knight

star 3
    (I'm pretty sure that's what he said. Been a while since I watched it.:p )
  15. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Judo. Second Dan.

Unfortunately, this is of no help in lightsabre combat. But it does give a couple of my characters the ability to hand-to-hand, my preferred title of which is Meridean Jitsu.
  16. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm a black belt of Tae Kwon Do. But, this isn't the place for that stuff.
  17. LordTroepfchen Force Ghost

star 4
    Despite this great opportunity to show off with my experience in the fighting arts (which I somehow think is a bit of a shortcoming on the spiritual side of that "sport") I´d prefer to discuss characters here.

We actually had two interesting discussions going on here, before this turned into a discussion about sword technique (which we all found so inspiring that two teachers of sword-fighting who visit this guild prefered to avoid it - instead of adding another layer of questionable expertise regarding fictional weapons) and our experiences with Martial Arts. I would advise to take both topics elsewhere and return to our discussion about character development.

There is actually a martial arts forum around here somewhere where such discussions are deeply embraced.

18. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    I got in a couple fights when I was a kid.
  19. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Something I have trouble answering.

On a character sheet, when it asks for "Quirks", what am I supposed to put?
  20. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    Weird tidbits about your character? I think that's a pretty useless section.
  21. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Agreed, Nick. Quirks should be developed as you post, not before. Often the most memorable characteristics of a character grow out of an on-the-spot decision that gets reiterated in later posts.
  22. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not a fan of dealing with fields on the character sheet specifically pertaining to quirks, habits, and such. It feels kinda forced for me, and these are often aspects of the character I would otherwise view as almost entirely irrelevant.

In other news, I might be submitting a dark Jedi CS to the Guild for review later tonight. Stay tuned.
  23. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    I_H Edit: Hilarious, but baiting
  24. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    All right, here's what I sketched out for a biography earlier today for my dark Jedi character. It doesn't really do anything more than provide a basic character history, and it might need some refining to fit into the AFAS galaxy, but I'd like to get some opinions on this now, seeing as there's only a couple days before the thread starts up again.

Born 26 BBY. Initiated into Jedi Order 24 BBY. Chosen as Padawan by Jedi Master Te Cuy in 20 BBY. At the time of Order 66, Te and Alex were on a low profile mission on the Outer Rim with two other Jedi Knights and one other Padawan. Spent the next decade growing up on the run from the Empire and the dark Jedi they employed. Cuy - as well as the other Padawan - killed by Darth Vader in 14 BBY. The other two Knights killed in the following years, until by 6 BBY, Alex remained (to his knowledge) the final surviving Jedi Knight. Alex - along with a small team of close friends - worked for various underworld organizations until after the Battle of Yavin, at which point one of his companions convinced him to work alongside the Rebellion. After Luke?s conversion, the war against the Empire became increasingly desperate. Increasingly, Alex found himself drawing upon the dark side in battle. From the beginning, he found this very spiritually draining, and he attempted to convince his crew to abandon their fight against the Empire. They were still involved, however, when Darth Vader and his son tracked down Alex and his crew. Alex narrowly escaped, but his entire crew was killed. In the aftermath of this attack, Alex turned increasingly towards the dark side. He spent the next two years hunting down dark Jedi in the Empire?s employ and harnessing his rage against them - leaving in his wake a trail of eviscerated corpses.

25. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    I like about the character that he takes "Dark Jedi" literal and we see a fallen Jedi instead of another wild EU-spook-crossover creature. He is a Jedi and that makes him tragic in many ways.

Only thing I disliked might be a personal thing. I wonder if any Jedi ever got hunted down by Stormtroopers or Commandos or something like that. Because Vader must do something else, sometimes, does he? But it´s perfectly fine to have other Jedi hunted down by him, obviously.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.