1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The Character Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Rayson, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    That one made me lol. :p

I have a question, which may have been brought up before. But, when you guys are designing your characters, do you ever use a bit of your real life self in creating your characters? Or perhaps, part of what you would like to see yourself become?
  2. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    not particularly nem. i just kinda go with whatever i want to play at the time. personality is about pointless for me to even bother with anymore, because i've found that they're just organic. i can't get them to ever follow what i think they'll be when i start out. it's vaguely irritating, but makes for an interesting experience as things go on.
  3. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hm. I think every character I've made or played has had some aspect of my personality in them - it's too hard to play otherwise. I find it difficult, I guess, to empathise with a character enough to get into their mindset if we're completely different.

I think that's why I had so much trouble playing the character I had in Imp's Senate game, actually - a by-the-book, strong-and-silent type bodyguard was just too far away from 'me' for me to play well, no matter how interesting everything else was.
  4. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
  5. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Hm . . . I did both. I think. My "main" characters Elora and Kira have a lot of me. While Kira has also elements totally unknown to me. Like depression and obsession with guilt. I do not possess Elora´s braveness.
    While other characters like Yu´Dor and Kol Skywalker, or even the tough and pragmatic Mara Jade . . . are total strangers to me. But I play them more with the "cinematic effect" in mind.
    But those character´s with whom I really go deep always have a lot of myself. And something totally different, too. I think.

It is different playing styles, I think. I certainly hope the unending float of totally scary psychopath of all colours and range have nothing to do with Fin´s core personality. Or Sinre´s seductive eternal lady of Aria with his . . .

I think there are players like us, Xany. And there are those who enjoy it to throw themselves into roles very different from what they are.

I think Trimaj´s King of Nepal or TheSithGirly´s Darth Krayt are perfect examples of "concept-characters" who are very deep. I always felt envy for the ability to do that . . .
  6. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I suppose it's impossible to truly divorce yourself from your characters, but I don't usually try to make my characters anything like myself. It's boring and makes no sense. I'm me 24/7, I don't need another one. Plus, most of the drama, dumb decisions and terrible characters I've seen in RPGs are ones that the players either want to be or to be with. If I'm playing a game with other people, there's no sense in attempting to make it pleasing only to myself, I want a character who's interesting to read about or play with.
  7. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    I definitely used to, because that was all I could manage. Lately, I've been trying to design characters based off of movies, with either realism or almost total fantasy in mind.
  8. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, the last conversation seems to have quieted down, so here's a new question: How do you bring out your character's voice and personality for the reader?
  9. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    The voice is simple. Minimal description and the use of letters, gaps and rythm to show his sort of speech.

Personality . . . I think my approach there is a little too complex for the three minutes I have left. I´ll have to come back later and give you my thoughts on that.
  10. Mitth_Fisto Chosen One

star 6
    When it comes to character's that I've made...I tend to start with an idea, a gram of a species or arch-type and then I merely blend in bits of qualities from other people that I like, hate, despise, nearly get sick from, and love. From these I create a complete character even if I never get the time or opportunity to play them out, and the one time I based a character off of myself...it did not go well because placing myself in such situations led to an dumbstruck aweing and silence. Mainly because in DRL I better fit the silent bodyguard archtype...which isn't as conducive to active RPG's.

For the voice, I merely recall those first grams which I had set down as that character's base type and the rest floods in filtered through that. Which merely takes a moment to compose myself...and then half an hour milling the situation usually.

Personality, well that's just an refiltering of voice that has to go through the history of that chacter after the decision of voice. Sometimes it goes through that wash several times before it feels right and sometimes it takes a couple days to get the right blended feel for the character to react with...or more so if it has been a while since the last time that character's been taken from the shelf and dusted off.
  11. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I was sort of looking more towards how you guys actually differentiate your character's voices when writing them since you lose some of the unique identifying features of audio. But I'm still researching, so I'll table this discussion for later.

Right now though, here's an easy discussion topic. If you are like me, you probably have a folder of character ideas in various states of completion that you have never gotten around to/gotten a chance to use use in a game. Post 'em if you like them enough. They don't even have to be that complete, just enough to give a good impression or idea.
  12. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, I was sort of looking more towards how you guys actually differentiate your character's voices when writing them since you lose

I use font colours.

Right now though, here's an easy discussion topic. If you are like me,

Nope.

you probably have a folder of character ideas in various states of completion

Nope.

I'm a fire-fighter. I create characters and npcs to deal with situations "fires" as they arise, so there are no folders of characters waiting for an outlet.

I shall expand the focus of this to include npcs or characters that you have created, but were cut down by an in-game event beyond your control, or the game dying on its arse.

My first contestant is HS-437, an instant npc stormtrooper that I created and placed aboard a seventeen kilometre Eclipse-class Star Dreadnaught during the Battle of Mygeeto, while Force Users were battling it out in the vessels' corridors.

One Sith, to delay the pursuit of another, did a Force Wave that picked up a platoon of stormtroopers and flung them up a corridor.

My guy, imitating his A New Hope counterpart, called on the bridge to "Close the blast doors!", just in time for his fellows to smack into the other side of the sealed portal before they could reach him.

As with many of my nrcs, with the right nurturing, I would have gotten him to fully fledged character status in his own right, but within two or three pages, the enemy controlled Death Star ripped the Eclipse in two, and that was the end of the Ballad of HS-437.

:(
  13. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    I don´t believe I have such a folder either. I think I have one for Pen&Paper characters. Yeah. But for RPF characters? Hm . . . I have a character I tried to get into a working game for ages. And they all died down. He would be the closest thing to a "reserve-char" I have, methinks.
  14. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Why wouldn't Pen & Paper characters count? I've got a bunch of character concepts that stem from noticing an interesting mechanic in a P&P game and working off of that. Technically, I suppose fiction characters you've never done anything would also count. Anyways, if you've got something interesting that you haven't gotten an opportunity to use, you might as well show it.
  15. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh well, fine then. As soon as I have time I´ll dig up my old d20 Star Wars characters I never got to use and post them. Until then . . . And I might throw in a few Cthulhu guys I never used or only for a game, too . . .

BUT . . .

These two characters have been created as antagonists in a fringe game. First is mine, second is Sir_Draco´s. We played them for a couple of posts in BlueBeasts wonderful but very short-lived Brilliant Turtles, Dazzling Blues and then I tried to reestablish their storyline in Bounty Hunter Guild. Which never got an opening post. Both attempts failed, so I see them as cursed or something.

I liked them, I looked forward to play with them and I never got to know them better. I hated that. Here they are.

My very own . . .

Name: Karn Key´lya

Appearance:[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c8/Bothanspy.jpg]
    Equipment&Possessions: Datapad, Breathermask, Grenades (poisongas, 2 plasma, 2 blast), communit, holocam, cloaks, blast-vest, body-armor, nightbinoculars, two scout-droids, one translation unit, starmaps, outdoor survival gear, food for 1 week, ammo, energy cells, recharger battery, burning fluids, repairequipment, Bounty Hunter Registration (Imperial and Huttese)
    Weapons: usually on man - DT 57 Heavy Blaster Pistol, BlasTech Bryar Pistol, Vibroknife, Vibrostileto (boots) owns: 3x SC14C Pistols, Blackscale "Hall Sweeper" Carabine, E5 Carabine, 2 Thermal Detonators

Ship:
    Heavy Modified BTLB Y-Wing, The Raptor equipped with a x1.5 Hyperdrive and stronger sublight drives, it also has no flak-battery, but instead extra storage space and a high-end security system with attached with two retractable mini-turrets to defend the ship. The Astromechdroid has become integrated. Called Raptor by Key´lya [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d4/BTL-B_Y-wing_fighter.jpg]
    Organization: Benelex Bounty Hunter Guild
    Bio: It isn´t much known about Karn Key´lya inside the House Benelex. Nor can the spies of his people say they know him or his past. He showed up one day, at hteir door and put a bounty on a mans head. Then he asked fpr a job, so he could pay it, if somebody foud the man. The bounty hunter in place mocked him and ended up dead. After explaining he had been insulted and threatened by the hunter, the guild decided he might be more worth alive. They demanded 20.000 credits compensation for the death of the hunter and gave him the opportunity to earn them. Karn turned out to be good at it. A pragmatist to the bone, he made his kill. Occasionally also his catch, though he preferred the bounties, where he brought them back in a bag.
    Soon his debt was payed and he began to rise within´the guilds ranks. Even though too brutal in many assignments, he never said no to any "hit", as he called bounties. He worked together with other hunters, used the Bothan Spynetwork and Huttese Connections. But even his colleagues considered him cold. His money he spend on two things. Two things only. Weapons and information. Especially regarding a man called Cern. A man he seems to have a personal problem with. And Karn Fey´lya is cruel enough, when it isn´t personal.
    Latley he has learned the guy might have changed his name. To the silly surname Romar. Now . . . the hunt is on, again.

Sir_Draco´s

Name: Caval Romar
    Appearance: [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/1c/Alic_Surn_GG10.jpg]
    Equipment&Possessions: Comm, Datapad, Blastvest, Astrogation-Charts, DL-44 (+backup gun in Captains Quarters), Vibrodagger, flightsuit, spareparts, forged customs papers (real ones, too) and the . . .
    Ship: The YV-330 "Last Exit Eriadu" called the LEE. Modified with x1 Hyperdrive and an additional heavy laser cannon as well as better subdrive-engines. [image=http://i/>/>
  16. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    I like the name of that gun, the "Blackscale "Hall Sweeper" Carabine"! I like descriptive 'does what it says on the tin' type names.

I have Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to thank for that! :D

Still, were you after 'carbine'?
  17. LordTroepfchen Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it´s canon. And I guess it is taken from a german book where it would called Karabiner.
  18. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, it's a cannon, alright! :p
  19. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Next time I´ll post it in german and let YOU guys do the translation. :p
  20. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    THIRD BASE!

And I do believe it's carbine.
  21. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    The Red Queen!

I have a weakness for talking fictional computers, and this one from the movie Resident Evil, represented itself as a laser-drawn holographic image of a precocious nine year-old girl with a plummy English accent that cheerily announced, "You are all going to die" and "I have been a bad, bad girl." Read: You wanna watch yourself near that train. I have somehow enticed a Licker (live rabbit injected with the T-virus, and now a steel clawed predator with a prehensile tongue) over there.

I was in an Aliens game over on Non-SW RPF, and wanted to use her on the Colonial Marines' ship, for my characters to interact with, to help navigate the infested installation whilst spraying the enemy with pulse rifle fire, eg. "Red Queen, do you copy? Where are the stairs?! Where are the ***-damn stairs?" :D

"Your call is important to us. However, all our operators-"

"This isn't funny! Where are the ******* stairs?!"

GM agreed to it, but the game died in about seven pages, so never had the chance to use her. :(

Light', that is probably closer to what you had in mind?
  22. Sir_Draco Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey everybody. I have ap roblem and it was suggested the assembly we have here might be helpful to solve it. I am creating a Sith for Sinrebirth´s 129 ABY. A One Sith. serious character. Playable. And not the usual powerhungry maniac.

Problem is, I suffer from serious writer´s block here. Nothing comes up. Nothing! I had three ideas for Jedi, while trying, but I want to play the Sithside. So, can anybody share a tiny bit of inspiration with me? Any concept you never used, never did? I would be grateful.

Draco
  23. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    I tend to avoid Darkside as a personal choice, so I don't think I can help on fleshed out character concepts, but frankly I think anything other than a Sith who wants to dominate the entire galaxy is going to be different from the usual.

Just some quick thoughts on designing and/or running evil characters...

- Even evil has standards; does your evil fellow refuse to kill children, for example? Or women? How does he justify that to the rest of the Hate Crew?
    - Not all evil is competent, and some evil which is incompetent knows it is. The evil guy who knows he sucks at lightsaber combat, for example -- the true manipulator?
    - Some evil has boundaries: if your character started out as a freedom fighter just for his own world, what if he manages to free his own world using his own powers and really doesn't want to dominate the rest of the galaxy?
    - Evil likes cash, not necessarily power ... is your Sith the Bill Gates of the GFFA?

As for the character's "voice" -- contractions are handy. Lack of contractions even more so. Speaking the lines out loud (even if it gets you some funny looks at the net cafe) helps, too.
  24. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Aha. I have a different viewpoint. :p

See I think the best, truly scary evil characters never think of themselves as evil. I mean, imagine a real person waking up one day and deciding "I want to be Evil!" - no. Of course there are those types who just want to kill kittens for the fun of it - sociopaths like that exist in real life, so you could certainly play a character that way. But mostly evilness is the consequence of some other motivation, not the motivation itself.

So, for example, you could have ...
    - a strong fighter Sith who decides that might is right, and thus embarks on a swath of killing throughout the galaxy. This character might have no qualms killing those who can't resist him, but might spare a 'worthy warrior' that faced him in combat and fell.
    - Or, on the other hand, you could have a Sith that decided that in order to bring order to the galaxy he must subjugate it. This one might have the opposite ideal - he might have no problems killing, but will spare those who bend the knee.
    - someone who begun with generally good intentions and went too far with them.
    - someone who hungers for Force power for its own sake, and spends all his time seeking out new techniques or wellsprings of Force energy and destroying any who try to stop him (and leaving the rest alone).

You could even turn one of your Jedi concepts to evil. A Jedi who devotes their life to destroying darksiders, and somewhere along the lines decides to use 'fight fire with fire' and loses their way; a Jedi who studied too much of Sith lore to find weaknesses and ended up joining them; a Jedi who lost many friends/family/loved ones/etc in battle, got thrown out of the order for going on a quest for vengeance and ended up a Sith. And so on.

My point is, these characters don't think they're evil. They've justified their actions to themselves, somehow. The trick is to find that justification.
  25. Seremela Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have the same view as Xan, that a lot of the time the evil comes from somewhere. She already gave good examples, but another one I always find interesting is the 'scientist', like the doctor who, in order to find a cure for a terrible desease somewhere along the line decides that he needs to test on humans, then starts to justify heavier tests and deaths as being 'for the greater good'. Or a scientist for whom his science is everything, his drive, more important than some mere beings (of which there are enough in the Galaxy). Sometimes the drive can also be that someone wants to be remembered forever, his/her immortality as it where, for something - like an invention or a discovery.

And in 129 I can see someone who is genuinely appalled by the alliance between Jedi and Yuzhan Vong and feels an honest need to save the Galaxy from them both turn to the Sith. Because he/she feels he/she should fight by every means possible to prevent the slaughter of before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.