main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Character Sketch: A Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Yes, folks, I'm at it again! I was sitting at my computer this evening, utterly bored out of my mind, when I thought of another one post challenge.

Here are the rules: Take a canon or EU character and write a character sketch for them. The method of presenting the character sketch is open; say first person monologue, a eulogy, dialogue of another character observing, or any other method of which you can conceive. However, this must remain true to the canon character; i.e., unlike the other thread, please don't have Yoda plotting to overthrow the universe or Palpatine be all warm and fuzzy. ;) If you feel so inclined, please post at the other challenge thread. PM me if there are any pertinent questions. Heck, PM me even if you have non-pertinent questions or just random observations, just because I like getting PMs. :D

And for random cross-referencing, here are the links to the other challenge threads:

The Star Wars Fan Fic Writers' Silent Challenge!
    A Short Story Challenge

Happy writing!

2. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Upping this so that everyone can see it...

Hmmm... I think I might have something tonight.

3. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I was beginning to wonder if anyone was interested... :)

4. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    MJ - you realize, of course, that you just made my list - and I don't mean my A list, either. I do NOT have time for this - but I have never yet seen a challenge I could walk away from.

I'm the Marty McFly of writing challenges - so don't call me 'chicken'. :D

Have to think about this one a bit - but you KNOW I'll be back.

CYN

5. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm not too concerned, CYN, as long as you put something up eventually. ;) You are neither the first, nor, I have any doubt, the last to put my name on that particular kind of list. :D

6. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Hmmm... Not a popular concept, this thread of mine. I'm hoping to have mine tweaked and up by tomorrow night, but we'll see out it goes. Anyone else out there?

7. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Kicking one into shape between angstfest-ing on Symmetry. I'll have something by Thursday...

8. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    intriguing.
    if inspiration strikes me, i will post it here.

9. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    well what do you know?
    insiration hit.

Hurts a bit when the rock hits your face, my apprentice, and well it should, for our ally is the force, and through it all is seen. When you stretch out with your feelings, become one with the force, you will then be one with the rock, and your lightsaber a mere extension of your will. You will see all as it truly is. Molecules, packed in various combinations and densities ? no different are our bones from the air that surrounds us. In an era such as this, the impossible has been verbally reduced to a trick; too many Jedi prancing about the universe in their humble Jedi finery, showing off parlor tricks and glowing weaponry. We are more civilized than they, as all will soon so blatantly see. Their arrogance betrays them more and more as the years progress? They are a futile band, fading into the circumstance that I create. Even now you watch your Jedi friends destroyed and do not care, for they are lost inside their egos, and we are the riddle they cannot solve. All will despise them as their reputation crumbles. They tear themselves apart. I sense your fear, and your growing hatred for me; it amuses me; it empowers me. I live on your bad intentions, young one. Do not believe I am unaware that every time you call me Master you curse my soul and long for my death. Admit that you have always wanted to destroy all those beneath you. Had you known that I was Sidious it would not have granted you control over your desire. I am the lens through which you focus your rage at the galaxy. I am hatred. I am fear. Embrace your destiny.

it should go without saying, but just in case, this is my sketch of Palpatine. ;)

10. Siri_Z

Siri_Z Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2002
    ooo Zeek that was good!!

lol just found this...bored at work... wahoo now i have something to do.

I like others will most definitly be back for this one.

Till later~
    Siri

11. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    hmmm...
    i seem to have a knack for killing these challenge threads...

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    You haven't killed it; some of us just haven't had time to check it until now. :) Nice short, Zeek! Like the arrogance of Palpatine, his perceptions of his apprentice.

13. Leah-Beth

Leah-Beth Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Hmmm... sounds interesting. I might just have to do this sometime. Might even come up with something today if the inspiration strikes. I'll definitely be back.

14. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    i'm glad you liked it, MJ and siri.

now come on, people!
    it took me a half hour to write that!

seriously, mine is the last post on The Test, another single-post challenge. i'll test my theory on another challenge thread soon.

15. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I thought I'd give this challenge a try!

:)

?Noooooooooo!!!?

That one desperate denial pierces the air, though I hear it only distantly. By the Force, this hurts so much. The lightsaber wound hurts, but leaving you hurts more, my Padawan.

You came into my life when the last thing I wanted was another apprentice. The last thing I needed was another apprentice. I was still reeling from the biggest failure of my entire life, a failure that nearly broke me completely. But you were relentless, unwilling to let me push you away, which was my first instinct. You persisted, always trying to prove yourself worthy of having me as your Master.

You weren?t the only one who wasn?t going to let us separate, however. The Force was determined for you to be my student, and so the bond I tried so hard to ignore continued to blossom, with no instigation whatsoever.

Since then, we?ve been a team, Obi-Wan, and, looking back now, I can?t even imagine what my life would have been like these past years had you never been in it. You?ve been my student, and you?ve also been the child of my heart, my legacy, the only part of myself that I want to leave behind. The best part of myself. You are kindness, courage, strength, and a limitless capacity to give, Obi-Wan.

And you did give, my Padawan. You gave of yourself. When I was going off on another crusade, defying the council, you were the stable one, always telling me to think twice, to consider every possibility. When I was living in the here and now, sometimes to a fault, you were always painting the bigger picture for me. Your spirit was always so generous, it sometimes amazed me that you had anything left of yourself to give. But I suppose with a spirit as great as yours, it should not have surprised me that there was always more. No matter how much you had already given, how much you had already sacrificed, there was always something more you had to give.

Oh, my Obi-Wan. It breaks my heart to leave you, because my death will only be the first in a long line of tragedies you will have to endure in the years to come. You will have to keep giving, my Obi-Wan, and receive very little in return.

By the Force, it?s not fair! Why is it that fate always seems to want to dim the brightest lights?! For that is what you are, my Padawan, the brightest light I have ever known. You shine like a beacon, and both those who are capable of using the Force and those who are not can plainly see your brilliance, your inner glow.

Times are coming that will want to dim that brightness, my Obi-Wan, but I know that you will never let that happen. You will go on, you will survive, and you will continue to shine like the galaxy?s brightest star.

My star.

My Padawan.

My legacy.

My Obi-Wan.

So, any thoughts?

16. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    awww, qui-gon loves his little padawan!

oh... sorry.

these are fun, aren't they?

musical jedi is good at setting up a challenge. it's like poetry, but from a star wars character's perspective.

17. Leah-Beth

Leah-Beth Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Very insightful. Beautifully written! :)

18. Siri_Z

Jun 16, 2002
    That was wonderful!!!

I myself am not having the best of luck on n e thing rite now. Oh well inspiration will hit sometime...soon I hope.

Till Later~
    Siri

19. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Awwwwwwwwww, thanks guys!!

[face_blush]

20. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Off to a running start with two cool stories!

I liked the look into Palpatine's head - the old <censored> has no real regard for anyone other than himself and his own power. Which is ultimately what does him in.

The Qui Gon POV was sniffle-making - poor Qui and poor Obi, too.

21. Siri_Z

Jun 16, 2002
    up!

cant let this die so soon! ill have mine up tomorrow.

Till Later~
    Siri

22. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I really like yours, astroanna, although I always have a soft spot for Obi-Wan and his master. Well-written, like the elements of emotion wound it. :D

I look forward to others! I'm still working on mine as well, but I mostly enjoy seeing other people's responses and interpretations. :)

23. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks, T-M-J and Chaos Rose!!

24. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Sorry to be so slow to reply to this. We all need to band together and do something to make it possible to live in our little cyberworld = and never have to yield time and effort to coping with reality. :D

zeekveerko - that was a wonderfully chilling portrait of the Sith - with a few unexpected little insights into the Tatooine Twerp as well. Too often, I think Palpy is dismissed as a one-dimentional, cartoonish villain, which ignores magnitudes of opportunity to explore the psychology of a true psychopath. Nicely done.

And, Astroanna - I hardly need to tell you how much I like your thoughts on Obi, now do I? [face_love] Sigh - perfection!

I really do intend to submit something for this - but I want to get away a bit from the territory I usually explore; it might get a bit stale if I don't - and I'm still waiting for the proper subject - and the proper approach - to strike me.

Soon, I hope - but I need to finish 'Frost' first.

Later, all.

CYN

25. Siri_Z

Jun 16, 2002
    Nah uh...

up!

Siri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.