main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Character Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by LightWarden, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    ]The Character Thread

What stands before you now is the nascence of a thread, with emptiness around you and uncertainty ahead. Bereft of form or function, bereft of drive and voice, all of its potential is contingent on your choice. It is yours to weave and bind, yours to mold and make; all that you will gain from this is what you choose to take. Cognizant of the potential, your efforts may begin; so reach into the untouched clay and release the one within.

What motivates this shaping, what desires guide your hand? That choice is yours to make, one that you must understand. With purpose comes distinction, atop its lofty ledge, it adds direction to your labors and clarity to your edge. With that edge cut forth, slice cleanly to the bone, carve your vision freely from the depths of faceless stone. But forge your own identity, one you freely choose, for if you steal the form of others, it is yours that you will lose. There is always variation, no need to be the same, create with all the elements and give it its own name.

But as you gaze upon the one you call your own, always be aware that it is not yours alone. The process of communion is one you should not halt, for what good is a work that molders in a vault? Yours is not the pedestal, the object to adore; yours is to inspire and be inspired more. So be mindful of the others and always seek to learn; what you give to others is what they will return.

No limits can be placed on the expeditions of the mind, it does not matter what you do, but only what you find. There is no vision too grand, nor detail too inane, so try and try again to strengthen your domain. Potential is only wasted if you never ever try, so wander where you will, always asking ?why?? A million sights unseen, a million words unsaid, make of this what you will; it is, after all, your thread.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    So ... let's have a chat about our favourite characters!

Of all the characters you've played, who one did/do you enjoy playing the most? Why? How did you create and develop them?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I looooooooooved playing as Kol Skywalker back in 128 ABY, even though I had to give it up, because of the post or two I was able to do that involved him weighed down by his rather daunting Legacy (pun!).

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Eydan Skorne/Darth Zorn. Based on the simple concept that IKs might fall and SirakRomar asking me to come here and join this strange SW board where she plays . . . perhaps as her adversary in that strange game she found . . . became the ride of my life. I originally planned to have him fall but not join the Sith. But my two fellow players LordT with his evil shapechangin´ Darth Imperi and LordDarthUmbrus and his spectral evil that was Umbereth were so skillful in leading him down the dark path, I could not resist and therefore Darth Zorn was born.

The rest is ABYverse history, I guess. My epic duel with SirakRomar over Bastion is probably the single best RPing experience I ever had. We played it out with dices and then wrote the post. Darth Zorn lost. For Sirak rolling a karkin´20 JUST WHEN she needs it. But it made a dramatic and heroic scene, for sure . . .

5. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    My favorite character is a non-SW and off-board pen and paper character..

Günther Fanderbaun, a simple psychic in the Imperium of man. He found himself in the midst of a galactic conspiracy that reached far into the Emperors palace itself. For two years I played him regularly, a few sessions each week. I doubt I will ever play such a character again with such a long character development. From a whiny coward to a full fledged hero ready to take on anything for all that is good!

Queue grim dark..

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I really miss your Kol! :(

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    You know, I actually find it hard to pick a single favourite character. Mischa (Man Cubs) is great fun to play, as is Corrath (Tide of Flames) ... Kara (Lea Monde) was fantastic, my first attempt at having a Jedi fall to the dark side, and then I got to reprise her in the Lightsaber Tournament ... Alexia (Dark History, and an earlier incarnation in IBOP) was great but never got fleshed out as much as I'dve liked ... Darth Krasus (IBOP) was my first character and holds a special place in my heart, but playing him again in Silent Cities hasn't been the same ... so it's hard to say.

I think I'd have to say the character I had most fun playing was Alexia, because the group we had was absolutely fantastic. The character itself wasn't my best, but playing her was a blast.

My favourite character right now, though, isn't one of mine - it's Sarge's Alec in AFAS. Cute little Mandalorian is cute! :D

8. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    My favorite character I've ever played has been my Jim Palso character. I think a huge part of it is the six or seven games (two The New Dark Times squeals and three or four Jedi Outcasts games) I've had him in have all been super fun to play. The second squeal to TNDT that was successful was super fun and like family, as all the Jedi Outcasts games have been like family over the years. :)

9. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Cute little Mandalorian is indeed cute! And little. And Mandalorian :p

Still dunno how that came about really. At first we had the 21-year-old Alec Nephrite in Shadow Games that had been born long before the Imperial occupation but then Sinre had asked if I could increase his age for serious plot business. Thus we have old Alec who's age would cause him to be the cute, little Alec during the Imperial occupation! And with AFAS Part 2 having started, I decided to have this crazy idea to play with this opportunity - especially with the fact that there were Imperial reeducation centers for the little Mandos -, to throw in the little eleven-year-old Alec!

I'm actually quite surprised as to how much fun he's turned out to be to play as [face_laugh] And apparently much "daws" have ensued when it comes to the little Alec and his antics [face_love]

But even with the cute little Alec it is difficult to pick a single favorite character as Xani has stated. I get attached too easily and quickly to my characters and thus it be difficult to pick from them. Zaydin from Dark History, the serious business Jedi, had been fun to play as but, again as Xani mentioned, that was because of the group of excellent players that we found ourselves in with equally excellent characters that went so well together. Tenk Qatar, as a certain number of people may know, has his own special place as well with all the madness that he and I had gone through.

And while they are Jedi characters, we can't forget about my Mandalorian characters. My very first character, afterall, was Sel Nephrite; a simple foot soldier of the Mandalorians who had been destined to become Mand'alor after the end of Sinre's Mandalorian Conflict game. A funny coincidence as, in AFAS, Sel Nephrite has a descendant of the same name that has become Mand'alor after the death of Fenn Shysa. It was thanks to Mandalorian Conflict and AFAS that I thought to create my own, personal bloodline of violet-eyed Mandalorians in fact that played a role that I wasn't expecting in Odyssey by Fins.

In that game I had created Selpha Nephrite; a very angry young woman that sought to slay Cley Nephrite who, during the course of the game, had reminded her too much of her hated father who had been responsible for her illegitimate birth upon his conquest of her Jedi mother. Though possessing the ability to wield the Force, Selpha had shunned it and turned away any lessons to harness it, instead deciding to fully embrace her Mandalorian heritage. It was actually the first time, I think, that I've played a kind of character that would bite your head off if you even looked at her the wrong way...not to mention my first female character :p The experience was new and, in the end, quite fun. Alas, like so many other characters in Odyssey, she was killed [face_worried]

At the moment though I'm devoting a lot of time and thought with Susul Damasca in Man Cubs. Susul's creation had actually come from a previous Winged game known as Vengeance is Mine but.....that kind of died soon after it had started [face_beatup] I had been too busy, unfortunately, to sign up once Man Cubs first started and I ended up waiting until Winged's call for a second batch of players. In hindsight, I actually find the delay to be perfect now considering what roles Winged wanted for the second batch of characters which has allowed me to have so much fun with Susul when I decided to give him a second chance in a second Winged game. A soldier of the human race that had fought in the war against the Rakata, sleeping for about one or two hundred years (or more?), and reawakening to a world where so much has changed after the fall of the Rakata Empire.

Except for the fact that there's now a Togorian Empire that wants him and his race dead [face_beatup]

Typing up posts of his reactions and reintegration to the galaxy has been a lot of fun and memorable so far and I cannot wait to see what will come of him next such as meeting with the rest of the man cubs and other such events while he'

10. M_FsGhost

M_FsGhost Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2008
    I don't know if I can say who is my favorite from my own creations, or anyone else's for that matter, as they all have such a unique place in my mind. Perhaps a few are squished, with my firsts being in a special place with ventilation as a Mando'ade ground pounder and a Nautolan Jedi Padawan.

Some of my newest ones have led me to somewhat of a three way tie, I enjoy Markus who originally supposed to be. . .well nearly what he became. Originally he was a bachelor, that developed into possibly dating. . .Sirak's Laura character of all people who has currently been holding him hostage by use of his daughter! After dating was decided against due to a language issue it was decided for him to have an ex and possibly a kid, hence Alicia the new center of his world was born. He has been a blast to play as just because he is one of those rare moments when I play a human, and not only that one so diversely driven by faith, love, and family in a confusing and sometimes conflicting desires and points of view.

The second, well that would have to be Averagus Aniad, or perhaps I should say Averagus Aniads[face_whistling] In truth I never planned this Man Cub to turn out as he did and was nearly as much a surprise to me as I think it was to Winged. I have found that it started out as coincidence that I normally would have just read a couple chapters/cato's of The Divine Comedy before posting, and now has become a ritual that makes me wonder what I will do when I finish the mammoth:p At least though what I find fun is that I ruminate for an hour on the latest from the Divine Comedy after reading Winged's or Fins post before replying. For some reason when I tried to post without doing that with this character I draw a complete blank, writers block gargantuan, last time I tried I was stuck for nearly a week! Read one cato, which coincidentally is also the name of his ex-human companion, and two hours later. . .ta-da! So he's fun simply for the reason that I don't even know what is going to happen next at this point, but I really enjoy the ride.

Lastly, for now Kiar still holds a strong position if only for the fact that he has survived two games and looks to be my first character with a continuing family Legacy. Pun intended ABYer's:cool: A 'progressive Vong' was never so much fun, at least in my opinion, and he has to be one of those characters that I had to keep going back to the drawing board just to know what he should do. Although his first stent was only at the end of one game, his resurrection was really one of those - if you really want him I'll try - kind of moments. I almost said no, actually typed it out, but after agreeing and playing in that game I came to really be glad that I hadn't sent that first response. I got to fight Vong, befriend and kill sith, as well as Jedi, and make many many folks squimish. With good reason, he was a brute on a quest, if not for the quest I think more would of been met honorable ends. As is he has become, cool, despite his difficulty to play and I look forward to the future opportunities that seem to be in the works to generate his Continuing Legacy. [face_beatup]

(Not to self, Yuuzhan-Vong though progressive do not like puns.)

11. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    I think I have enjoyed playing Andrea Rebecca Baker the very best. I enjoy playing her and have fun with it. When she finally ends in SotS, I doubt that will be ending of her. Hopefully she will have different games and such.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Moving this discussion here because, well, Xany said we could.
    Sounds like the sort of thing Jello would be amenable to.
    On Imperial Center?
    Awesome so far. Any ideas on the name of the ship? (For Opening Post purposes.)

13. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Obviously, Jello can offer his own idea for their early history. What I offered is tentative, and really just a possible scenario.

Yes, the flat is on Imperial Center.

Ship name: Stella Noir

14. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    I PM'ed my 'family' members to try and talk info. Since Nick is talking possesions, I would pick to suggest that my character own a few books perhaps, nothing big. What would some of his possesions be, being the son of bounty hunters?

15. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Just think like a young boy, then translate that to star wars. Have some models of ships and blasters, or something similar. And, maybe think about how your room is going to look.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm fine with the family history as Nick has presented. As far as possessions, that seems premature--I'll probably make them up as I go. Living quarters may be important, but Selnia would just live at the family estate in Imperial City.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would venture to say that for those of us playing children, possessions are hugely less important than for adults. We have whatever our parents want us to. But then, I'm also of Jello's mind, that we can probably just make it up as we go.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Sorry, I meant serious assets: heirlooms, starships, residences, favorite blasters, the galaxy's largest collection of stamps...trivial belongings are something you make up as you go along, but as my opening post (yes, I've begun to write it) includes a scene on Dean Harbright's personal ship, I thought anything else important might be worth figuring out here.

19. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't forget about the Imperial Security Bureau Agent hiding in the shadows of Dean's ship....to keep an eye on him

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm still thinking of a name for the Bounty Hunter family. For whatever reason, whenever I picture the patriarch, he looks like Joe Walsh...

21. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    I was imagining Ralph Fiennes, but to each his own.

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So, I've been talking to Matt and he tells me that he's looking for a smuggler wife for Peng's bounty hunter character? I'm sort of starting bare bones with this and I'm not sure exactly where I would want to go with this particular character. I don't want to make her too boring. It would be nice to have something a little special about her. Matt mentioned a near human? I'll have to think on that one a bit, but I may be willing to go that route.

Any other ideas?

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Base her on Mirax Terrik! Mirax is never boring. :D

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    You're an inanimate ****ing object!!!!!

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, is she aware of/involved in her husband's dealings? What are her feelings about it? Does she support continued involvement, is she indifferent, or is she the one pushing to get out? How does she feel about her children becoming involved? For that matter how does she feel about her children, period? I know Matt hinted at some of this stuff in the OP, but I think those are going to be some major defining issues for the character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.