main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Character Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by LightWarden, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    QFT

2. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    (This seems like a good thread to dip my toes into the roleplay forums.)

My favourite Star Wars character of the moment is easy to pinpoint. Favourite roleplaying character overall? Well, that's a lot harder. :) But I can at least chatter about Sterling. (I love talking about my characters. Who doesn't, really?)

Anyway, this roleplay happened in a chat roleplay, about 300 years ABY (skipping out on most of the EU stuff). Sterling Makedan was originally going to be a one-shot character - some random shmuck pulled out of thin air. My only other characters at the time were attached to an alien race I'd made up from scratch, and even though I was careful to keep it balanced, another godmoder had gotten all fan-made alien races banned from the chat. But that's a whinge for another day. Originally Sterling was just an awkward teenage kid I tossed up against somebody who wanted to play a Big Damn Hero(tm), because I like the contrast there. Just someone in the lower tiers of Coruscant who gets by because of constantly being doped up on deathsticks (somewhere between meth and E in my mind). BDH character, in eluding a bounty hunter (which the guy was also playing), manages to start a shootout where my teenage schmuck is unloading his cargo for a pittance. To make it a little more realistic, everyone freaks out, my character's girlfriend gets shot in the crossfire.

And suddenly, my cannon fodder shmuck turns out to be desperately in puppy-dog love with her, and tossing back those deathsticks to quell his own Force sensitivity. Funny how those one-shot characters suddenly explode into something more, isn't it?

The more I played him, the more I decided that he was indeed Force-sensitive - very powerful but not good at even any innate control, the Force equivalent of a great dane puppy trying to play fetch with pomeranians. He was force sensitive enough to make tiny connections to anyone he spoke with briefly, and when that connection was severed (usually through death), he would have horrible nightmares for days after. Given that he lived in the slums and was friendly with his drug dealers, this meant a lot of people, which meant that his mother was the one to start giving him deathsticks in an effort to get him to sleep. So, by seventeen or so, he was a full blown addict. After a short stint as a relatively-kindly-oddly-existential Sith's housekeeper (I swear it happened in roleplay, and pancakes and his inability to make them became a running joke), he was eventually approached by a grey jedi who took him in as a padawan, more or less.

Although he was accepted into the Jedi order at the time for a brief period, he broke off from them on his own, feeling that unconventional style would be his ticket to doing the most good possible in his life (significantly shortened by drug use). So currently I think he's trying to wage a one-person war against the drug dealers he knows of.

Honestly, I love playing him not because he is powerful, but because he has a lot of power and doesn't know what to do with it. This usually means that he flubs things up spectacularly, and even when he doesn't, there's a lot of flailing and cursing in Huttese. He really only gets by because he keeps at self-training so strictly - which probably means he'll eventually 'burn out'. He's immature and in way over his head, which makes for some fun internal conflict. He's definitely a flawed character - he's learned a lot of casual misogyny and is really bitter about not having a family, for example, despite generally overall being a pleasant person. But what makes him really endearing to me is his absolute hysterical love of nature. He's a city kid who has absolutely fallen in love with it, and that makes him fun to play.

Anyway, apologies for the novel! Hopefully I'll be able to get him into a roleplay here soon.

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  3. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think there are a lot of my characters that I loved playing, and none of them really take first prize. Each had their own quirks, their own personalities. I miss playing pretty much most of my characters - expect back while I was a n00b. :p

Genna Reed from Splinter Cell was fun, flirty, and had a whole bunch of emotionals problems that never hit the surface. I'm glad I had the time to play as her, I had a blast. Then there was Darstina Wolfswift from Path of the Elements. There was so much there. In the game and in the characters! That could have been an award RPG if Elu hadn't lost his drive for it. *twitch* :p But, she was awesome, had cool fire tricks, and did I say awesome? Unforunately, no one got to see the real her just yet, but I know who she is and that's all I need, I suppose. Next there was my infamous Dallyra, for any of you who happened to be around during my LotR RPGs. I pretty much wince everytime I go to read the FotR - that was during my n00b stage, though during TTT, I was slowly getting out of it. She was Ms. Warrior and Ms. Princess. Like that's original. :p But she was pretty much my first character that has been around in on the RPF for three or four years. And besides, how can you beat shiny golden, and I mean golden, hair? [face_laugh]

Finally, there was Liriel Darkwood. Also from the LotR, however, she only came in during RotK. She was my slow to temper and cool Elvish warrior. It was awesome playing as her...until Darth_Elu had to flip a coin to see whether Terras Goldhawk (Liriel's love interest,) or Elvynd (I'm blanking out on his last name atm, the love interest of Myri_Antilles' character Elaine,) would die in the battle at Gondor. As luck would happen, Terras was the one fated to die. How lovely. :p I attempted to make an original story off of RotK to continue that storyline, but it didn't get very far unfortunately.

And of course there are many others I know and love so well, but I'm not going to mention them all...and of course there are those horribly bad ones from my n00b stage that I don't even what to think about. *shudder* [face_laugh]

4. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Is it bad when games require a player to create a character that belongs to a specific faction? I've been thinking about this lately because most games nowadays don't require anyone to pledge allegiance to any side.

I've been thinking about a strictly Jedi V. Sith game. Which is an age old conflict, but is that bad?

-b

5. Ayy-Alema-Afa

Ayy-Alema-Afa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2010
    personally, my favorite character, well really it's one of mine xD; but i love Twi'leks. and other alien species. it's just a fresh reminder, that there's more than humans out there.
    but the thing is, it's fun to play them because they have emotions just the same as humans. :p

6. Fanficfan

Fanficfan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    I think my favourite character, certainly my most memorable, was from the very first time I played a pen and paper D&D game. He was a young, hot-headed, half elf/human ranger named Juran (which the group quick morphed into Duran Duran) with a penchant for making rash actions without considering the consequences... One of his very first encounters was with a pair of thugs trying to kidnap a young woman. He quickly readied his halberd, focused on the thug holding the young woman and with a might swing and D20 roll of 1 promptly cut the poor young woman in half.
    I stayed away from dice based games for a while after that...

The_Dark_Overlord - Your Günther Fanderbaun would happen to hark from the "Imperium of Man" of Warhammer 40,000 fame would he?

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have lots of favourite characters, though my all-time perennial favourite would have to be my Force Vampire twilek SGIS agent, and adoptive parent, Mitch Nifesta.

I also love the continuing dynamic between the members of the Monster Squad, an Imperial team of sandtroopers and their monster expert.
    One day, long before I had even heard of TFN, or the idea of online roleplaying like this, I was looking at a picture of a sandtrooper on his dewback, and wondering why their guns were so big, compared to the standard E-11.
    This led to me exorcising my love for crossovers, re-telling the classic Dracula tale with a hapless sandtrooper team hooking up with a member of the Van Helsing family, and taking her back with them to the SW universe, in the service of the Empire.

The five claiming most of my attention at the moment, are Toshiko Sato (from TV?s Torchwood), whom I have had in three relatively recent projects/games, and now has staffmember status at RPF Adoptions; Padawan Irisa whom I adopted off my GM, pashatemur, in Galaxy at War III ? she would rather be a fighter pilot than a jedi knight; and three characters that I used to run in the highly addictive Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, Everquest. So addictive that several years after I left it, I still think about it, and have given my three mains new leases of life within the GFFA.
    Yavinelf, my half-elf rescue ranger, is an Imperial Inquisitor who won the last RPF versus EUC lightsabre tournament; Yavscout, the full elf scout (druid) cameo?d as an SGIS medic in one of the old Star Wars...007 Style games, and has since fully featured in two games; Debgate, the shaman healer, served in a RIMSOO during the Clone Wars, and is a Surgeon-Commander within the Imperial Navy.

All five have had big roles in the current Star Wars: Final Resurrection game, culminating in a chick fight between Deb and Irisa, tumbling over the burning underside of an upside-down snowspeeder, in the middle of a forest fire, with the high stakes prize being a nav-puter with the location of a Rebel Base.

Jedi versus Shaman. I should have sold tickets! :p

8. Ayy-Alema-Afa

Ayy-Alema-Afa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2010
    Wisely i think i'll state that characters that don't belong to me. I love Darth Krayt, the fact he had History with Luke Skywalker's father, and was able to hide from the Imperial Forces, it was amazing xD The power he ended up with amazingly enough, how he didn't just go in and obliterate Sidious. ~

Another favorite of mine, Artemis Entreri, though i don't know if most people know of him. He's a street wise assassin, who can match skills with the sword of an elf. not an easy feat. He's a human none the less. in his middle agedness, he was able to conquer a sword which had taken the lives of hundreds of other creatures with power vastly higher than his own. amazing character, not really a mary sue to the Forgotten Realms books. And i did a couple of DnD/Forgotten Realms pen and Paper RPGs, the stats he has are pretty interesting.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I would have to say General Mitth Nuruodo from back in the day when the RPF was brand new and the War of the Galaxies RPG was the game. He is the reason why people call me "Mitthy". Most of you probably won't know him or seen him be used, which is unfortunate, since WOTG ended around 2003. Though I have considered bringing him back, I just haven't found the right RP to do so.

Mitth started out not as a character but myself in a feud between the Imperial Navy fan club and the Yuuzhan Vong fan club over on the EUC when the NJO was still being published. As the feud intensified, Mitth began to grow into an actual character until finally he became an Imperial Commando who specialized as a sniper and tactical officer. Back then I was into video games such as Medal of Honor and SOCOM and enjoyed selecting the sniper rifle and being all stealthy and covert with my fights. So this carried over into my character a great deal.

He would eventually turn from some random Chiss to a member of the Nuruodo clan (Thrawn's family) to actually being an unstable clone of Thrawn (who [Mitth] believed to be the alternate reality version of Thrawn who somehow crossed over into Thrawn's reality) and rise to the rank of Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces and High General of the Imperial Army. He was insane, had a unexplainable hatred for one particular Vong named Nithrak, and has betrayed Emperor Jello too many times to count and somehow still managed to retain his position as Supreme Commander. Don't ask me how, he just did. I blame Jello.

Mitth evolved from a two-dimensional character meant to be used as a random entity for a EUC feud to a well-developed Imperial traitor with a dozen supporting characters that made up his commando unit and an AI ship. He was a fun character to play and parts of him has carried over into my other characters, such as General Thane, especially the insane traitor part and if I had to choose to replay a character, I would choose him. He would be kept pretty much the same, personality wise and profession, but given all the advantages of having 11 years of RP experience added to him.

If there was one thing I would change about him it would be his origins. I would change him from an insane clone of Thrawn to just an insane Chiss accepted into the Nuruodo clan. His beliefs, of course, would have to change too but given time I could figure something out that would still qualify him to be classified as "insane". Lol.

10. dreven_Aarkanin

dreven_Aarkanin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2010
    QFT

....ANYWAY, my favorite character? i don't really have a definite favorite, because they're all my favorites at one point or another. if i had to pick? it would be my bothan Aylek. i just have no idea how he'll turn out. and really, on-the-spot decisions make up most of my characters (and those decisions most of the time end up being big details [face_shhh])

11. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    My fav character. Can´t believe I never responded to this one. Kira Romar. Played her through three games, two of them from beginning to an end. Went full circle, tried never to make her a clichée and finally got a great resolution for her and a nice flash forward how she lives a happy life. Oh my God, how I do miss her. But I am done with her. No more great battles for poor, poor Kira. [face_blush]

Anyway, I once played her Grandmother Siri in a German game a long time ago. And together these two different characters (and their strongy tie that was only revealed in the end) was fantastic. I am thankful to having a GM with a plan. And someone to pick this plan up, when it was time to end things.

Honstly. Since I am done with that story, I feel not the same "drive" to play than I did before. Some games fascinate me, some are thrills. But none captures me anymore the way Kira´s adventures did. *sighs*

12. TheChangeling

TheChangeling Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2011
    I've honestly never played a Star Wars Rp. ^^; My favorite character is, thus far, difficult to pin down.

One is, without doubt, Flit. Based on Changelings from D&D, he was also a rogue, driven from his home by distrustful authorities. One of his parents, was, afterall, a doppelganger. He never revealed his true heritage to his allies or enemies, attributing his shapechanging abilities to a ring of his mother's. While the ring is perfectly mundane, he convinced countless others of the "enchantment". He always carries a bag of extra clothes, so his shapechanging managed to get him out of several tight spots. Most memorable was the impersonation of the princess, and convincing her father not to execute the ally he desperately needed to clear his name.

13. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Bump for great justice!

So I was thinking, with Matt's new AU game on the horizon, we could use a space to hash out our characters and relationships thereof. Especially for those playing canon characters who are supposed to already know each other and have loads of history and things.

Who else is in? :D

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    [image=http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/12/30/128751554227284652.jpg]

15. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I am in, Xan. ;) I'm thinking of going for a Sith Knight, myself, but still trying to come up with a fresh, unique idea.

As for favorite character... Hmmm, while I haven't had all of a game to explore him yet in this RPF, I have always enjoyed playing Darth Venomis. He has a mind of his own, and he always seems to make me deviate from my plans and storylines with his own cunning plots, and that is a powerful thing in RP characters, especially OCs. He's always been a delightfully human (okay, technically, true Sith) aspect of the Ancient Sith Empire 'cast' I have written in fanfic and RPed.

He's definitely the one I've enjoyed playing the most (although the excellence of Sinre's KOTLR threatens to make me change my mind), but my favorite character, which I have barely RPed yet (one post) but have written multiple fics on, is Darth Nemesis. The enigma and danger he conveyed, and the fact even I don't entirely know what or who he is yet, has always prompted me to write more and more on him and I've put more work in him than anything else RP or fanfic related - nearly all of my EU history theories, ancient Sith speculations and fanon-ing have been subtly centered around him, and the exhaustive history I've written for him. (Or should I call 'him,' 'it'?)

16. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    So I am piecing together the most recognizable but unique take on Luke I can manage to create. I think we will have to do something interesting with Leia and Luke, Xany. No way around we get some twist into their brother-sister relationship. I also thought that Luke who has become an advocate for a more aggressive opposition to the Sith has founded (or secretly joined or at least befriended) a flying Squadron called the "Rogues" or simply the "Rogue Squadron" which has surprising little jedi on it but guys like a certain Wedge Antilles (who never flew with Luke against the Death Star) and Biggs Darklighter (who Luke never met before) with whom he hangs out and who helped the "Son of the Suns" to get a bit more grounded and aware of realities . . . and obviously a Rogue Squadron blasting in when everything looks dark would be a blast of a cinematic moment, right?

Otherwise I think this Luke will be a young man raised to be a warrior. I heard Spy might be his Master Mace Windu? That means we got a son of a chosen one with the ability to use Vaapad. Something like a perfect warrior raised from childhood for war. jedi won´t admit that probably. But what else is it? Which of course brings us to the problem how good can a young man be, if he is practically "created" to kill another man (Dooku, the Sith, The heads of the Empire) one day? It is a rather dark purpose. But despite what the Jedi may say, that is pretty much what he seems to be meant to do . . . which might obviously not go well with the good heart Luke has and will also have in this incarnation . . .

My first ideas on Mr. Skywalker. All in all he will be more like his father. Who was the idolized hero of his youth, again, probably.

17. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yes, yes we do! Now all we're missing from our little family is a Padme. [face_thinking]

I envision Leia as being not too different from her canon self, personality-wise. She certainly would be Princess Organa of Alderaan, but I'd say Padme would be as large as influence on her as Bail Organa was in canon, and that she would take after her mother to a large extent and prefer diplomatic/subtle/non-aggressive resistance to the Empire to actual fighting. So perhaps this could be a source of friction between her and Luke, if she thinks they shouldn't be on the front lines, but instead supporting/directing the war effort in more subtle ways?

Not sure who her Master would be yet - if she would be trained alongside Luke by Mace Windu, or if Yoda trained her, or someone else. Either way I don't see Leia as being the Jedi warrior Luke was trained to be. She'd probably sooner volunteer for diplomatic/liaison missions that would take her deep into Imperial territory than fly a fighter into battle.

But yeah, just ideas at the moment.

18. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    I thinhk them being a bit like Padme and anakin without the (in the movies frightening abscent) romantic vibe would work well. The diplomat and the warrior. One is looking for peace through communication, the other tries to create it through a just war. Sounds fine to me. and I really think them being trained together would be strange, would it? Yo´da for Leia would certainly be nice. But there are so many Jedi Masters possibly alive now. Plo Koon, Ki Adi-Mundi. Or that Neti woman who will still have bad advice in the legacy era? :p

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I actually got the feeling that, despite Leia and Padme both being diplomats and Luke and Anakin both being warriors, personality-wise Leia was more like Anakin (fiery, fighty) and Luke was more like Padme (idealistic). But I digress... it would indeed work out well. :D

Yeah, you're right, without the Purge there'd be a legion of Jedi Masters around and there wouldn't be a reason to double up - and especially not for the children of the Chosen One, who probably need a lot of careful watching. :p I'll have to do a bit of digging ...

Is anyone else playing Jedi in Matt's AU?

20. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    I haven´t made uo my mind so far, but yes I eye a Jedi. Actually I wondered if someone from the middle managment would fit good. I think Quinlan Vos has a wonderful connected story to Dooku, for example. And there is always Plo Koon of whom I am a big fan. I just love the design and the character is "empty" enough to fill him with some original life I think . . . but I will wait with any submission until the game is up. Might depend on how many players remain in ToRR.

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think Sinre mentioned something like this...

As for Luke and Leia's training - and the Jedi in general - keep in mind that Mace Windu seems to have thought the prophecy was kind of bull to begin with, and, well, what impact would the death of the Chosen One have on the morale/philosophy/operating principles of the Jedi?

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting ideas for Luke and Leia so far. The thing that I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around is the fact that Padme is still alive. It's going to make for a fun experience.

Now for Han Solo...

For the most part, I want to keep his background very similar to how it played out in canon. Of course, there are going to be changes(I'll go into those in a moment), but I want to keep Han recognizable as the same character we see in the films. With that said, everything up until his stint in the Empire is going to be the same. I'm not quite sure how his experience will be different with all the changes to the Empire itself, but I can fill that in as we go along. In the end, however, he is still going to end up getting kicked out or leaving on his own terms. Afterward is where the big changes happen. I'm still thinking he would go into smuggling for a short time, but ultimately doesn't stay. I'm just pulling things together loosely at this point, but either something happens to drastically change his opinion, he is forced or he is persuaded by an outside force(possibly for selfish gain) to join the Antarian Rangers.

Anyway, those are just some ideas I'm throwing around. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free! [face_peace]

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Perhaps the brave Antarian Ranger Chewbacca saves his life, which means that the young smuggler owes him a life-debt.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's definitely a twist on things. I was trying to decide what to do with Chewie anyway - whether to even include him at all.

I like that; I like that a lot.

25. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I've got a character idea for Matt's AU game too!

Tobbi Dala - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tobbi_Dala

First off, when I saw what he looked like I automatically thought -- Holy, lookalike Batman! That's John Locke from Lost. And then I read his bio, and I knew I could really have fun with this guy. I plan on him having a falling out with a the Mandalorians after Dooku's rise to power, and possibly a falling out with Fenn Shysa as well. I'm not exactly sure what all would have happened yet, but it wasn't good. So he throws his support with the Republic and the Jedi. With his Mandalorian training and upbringing, he joins to the Antarian Rangers and has been with them ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.