main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The characters and camera work in the Saga constantly moving from left towards right...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    but its going from left to right, then they circle around the atat like the saga!
    [​IMG]

Yunners likes this.
  2. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Characters moving left to right isn't a story.

Zeta1127, Yunners and Darth_Zandalor like this.
  3. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Its apart of how he visually tells the story.

In George Lucas's film the things fly in the shape of a D. I dont care what EU says.

4. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006

You can clearly see the T-47s follow the diagram in the movie.
    But if you're going to start ignoring vital things like 'Facts' and 'Evidence' to push your theory, then you're not going to win people over any time soon.

And for the second time, Delta doesn't mean 'D'. It has nothing to do with the letter D other then use it to spell it out.

This is Delta: 'Δ' and this 'δ'

Not 'D' or 'd'.

Darth_Zandalor and DarthBoba like this.
  5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009

0:51. Looks like a delta to me.

Yunners likes this.
  6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    The movement from left to right isn't surprising to me, that's a technique many directors use so that when a character moves in the opposite direction the viewer feels slightly disoriented for a moment. Another tool is to use a lot of angles and diagonals when displaying action. These are covered in film classes pretty early on.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if George Lucas used this in the OT that it would follow that he would use it in the PT.

With that said, I do think some of the rationalization for movements from right to left are not sound. I think a general left to right movement may very well be there and frankly I'd be surprised if there wasn't some of that since action is one of the bases of all of the films; but I'm not sure about the circle things (it's pretty easy to see a circle in most scenes, mainly because of the reasons 'obi-rob-kenobi4' just said, GL likes to rely on visual mediums in his films, hence a reliance on shapes).

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The blockade runner, and the Star Destroyer, flying overhead at the start of ANH, are moving from right to left.

8. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I had thought of this scene as a counterexample too, but based on obi-rob-kenobi4's argument that fits in since the protagonists are captured by the Empire, thus they were moving the "wrong" way. I want to watch the films with this theory in mind one time to see if there are examples that plainly show the right to left movement without a "wall" preventing them or someone prohibiting that progression.

It's tough because if you allow too many exceptions you will of course fulfill the theory...so I'm not sure what I would buy as true exceptions yet if this were valid.

9. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    Luke defeats Vader walking from right to left.

If that left to right pattern was truly to move the story forward, why would Lucas choose to have the most important moment in the whole saga (the one leading to Anakin's come back) go from right to left? It makes no sense. Luke is not driving Vader towards a "wall" here, he's showing him the right way. He even takes him to a bridge (symbol of a passage between two different states).

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    FWIW, this review/analysis mentions the exact same thing:
    http://brightlightsfilm.com/38/clones1.php

It's worth a read regardless, it makes some really excellent points.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I think the EU is a more reliable source than some fanboy making things up on a Star Wars forum.

HALIBUT EDIT: I've already warned in this thread about personal remarks. Time for a brief vacation. And when you get back, I suggest you revisit the Movie forums policy on EU

12. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't he on the verge of falling to the dark side at that point?

13. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    Yes, but I'm only referring to the "moving the story forward" bit. The OP did say that every time someone or something moves the story forward, the move goes from left to right.

In that instance however, which is possibly the most important "moving forward" scene in the whole saga, the move goes from right to left. Luke is about to defeat Vader, which will turn him into a Jedi, and bring about Anakin's return. The story is moving forward, even if Luke is verging on the Dark Side.

Also, Vader lifts Palpatine up and walks towards the shaft from right to left. That's also a very important block of the story being moved forward, and yet from right to left.

That "left to right" pattern simply does not work.

Yunners and Heero_Yuy like this.
  14. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ This. Any way you look at it, OP's theory doesn't hold water sadly.

15. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I noticed that if you fire up the Wizard of Oz on the TV and Dark Side of the Moon on the stereo simultaneously.....

Julius Vernon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.