main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Characters of the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jan 18, 2015.

1. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    I like Liam Neeson but Qui-Gon's existence just meant that we had to suffer a watered-down Obi-Wan. In Lucas's own early draft it's just Obi-Wan on his own at the start, and that would have made for a much more interesting character - it would have shown the Jedi as competent, dynamic people rather than the curiously naive/wet duo we ended up with. Not only that, but the Jedi seem preposterously indecisive throughout - even Yoda just seems utterly gormless throughout the prequels.

None of it adds up.

2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

During perhaps the most pivotal moment of the film- the discovery of Anakin- Obi-Wan isn't even there. He's sidelined on the starship while Jar Jar is there. Jar Jar is more involved in the plot that Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Phantom Menace is such a waste of a film. Only about 20% of the movie is actually relevant to the Saga.

3. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    :eek: :eek:

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

There have been many people who have justifiably complained about this. I was listening to the commentary/podcast about TPM on Geekvolution last weekend, and Captain Logan made the point that Lucas apparently decided to begin the story prior to the beginning in a way. I like how Liam Neeson handled Qui-Gon, but as I've often said around here, he's one of those characters I find much more interesting in EU material than in the films themselves. As to Obi-Wan, it's weird how he's one of the greatest Jedi Knights of all time, but in TPM, he's stuck on a ship...waiting for something to happen. Lol.

My biggest complaints would be how annoying Obi-Wan and Anakin were written in AOTC. I have a lot of problems with that movie, and while ROTC and TPM have their own issues, I like them quite a bit better. That's why we needed TCW and these novels to clean up the mess, so to speak.

5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Characters in the Prequels are not perfect, but some of them are very fun and interesting.
    Stiff and hollow. Yeah, I recall the Original Trilogy having a lot of stiffness as well. That is mostly in scenes with Leia and Luke.
    Some scenes with Leia have her act like a robot and not a human being. That is most obvious during the blowing up of her homeworld. So that is consistant with things in the Prequels.
    Hate on the characters of the Prequels, but not once did I see a character from the Originals shed a tear for anything. When the heaviest moments in Revenge of the Sith happen then you see emotions being portayed like during one of best scenes of the saga - the one just before Mace Windu goes to arrest Palpatine - the scene that transitions between Anakin and Padme with them thinking about what is going to happen to them now. You can feel the pain the characters have in the scene. It is very powerful.

For me, the most painful scenes to watch are the ones between Han and Leia. They always feel forced and painful. Now, Lando and Han - that is a whole other story. They felt like bros. Lucas was trying to recapture that with Anakin and Obi-Wan, but it is hard recapture something so good.

Darth Sidious, the guy steals the show every time he is on screen in the Prequels. He is so fun to watch. Especially the scenes with him and Yoda.

This is regarding the main characters.

In terms of secondary characters - heroes and villains - there are plenty. There are many different characters with different motivations.
    Like Nute Gunray. He is pretty straightforward and you can easily see where is coming. He is driven by the promise of more power and wealth. Gunray starts a war mainly to further his own goals of having less outside control over his trade and business dealings. Given what we read about real-world CEOs and manipulations in politics, it is very easy to see where Nute Gunray comes from. He is much more interesting than any of the flat and faceless Imperials of the Originals.
    Sure, the rest of Separatist council had limited time on screen, some had as much as any of the "secondary" imperials of the OT. They were also very recognizable and easy to describe. For the OT "villains", it is hard to point to a specific imperial with a simple wording. They are all the same, white and stereotypically-british Imperials. "Remember that british army guy?!" "Who?!" "The one on the Death Star." [face_laugh]
    Here is a Prequel character description: The leader of the bugs on the desert planet - Poggle the Lesser. Easy as pie to describe to somebody.[face_dancing]

So overall, the Prequel characters are not as developed as the small main cast of the Original Trilogy. It is not meant to repeat the same thing. That is where the Sequels come in. Lucas wanted to try a different approach, different characters and tell a story about a war in the galaxy. In a war movie you do not know every soldier that dies on screen or every politician. He showcased nicely the downfall of a Republic and people like Sidious, Gunray, Dooku that led to the final result we see in the Originals. The dialogue might have not been the best, but the characters and ideas are there.

I always liked the hero banter between Anakin and Obi-Wan. It fits in with what Lucas had done before with the rest of the PT and OT.
    Some of the best lines in the entire Saga are of an annoyed Obi-Wan. I love it when he reacts to the things around him.
    There was also an amazing article I recently red that defended the character of Padme and showed what an awesome character she is.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've always found the Imperials more interesting than the Rebels, but even I have to agree with this.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved the characterization of Obi Wan in ROTS.

8. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    I see both characters as they are one big story line, i like the characters from the PT, i like how there are so many

jahyeshua and mes520 like this.
  9. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    The characters in Episodes I-III showcase emotions nearly perfectly.(nothing is perfect;))