main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC The Charlotte FanForce Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by TuskenFan, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
  2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I liek Air Supply :p ;)

Really just kidding! 8-}

I prefer to listen to Classical music and Jazz. But I also am an old time punker from the early 80s [much different from what is "Goth" today] and I like real rock - Zeppelin and old Tom Petty [none of this "Don't come around here no more" junk].

I think the KISS song "I was made for lovin' you" ISN'T disco. [face_beatup] to anyone who says otherwise [face_talk_hand] [face_not_talking] [face_monkey]

Megadeth > Metallica anyday of the week.

And I do admit it, I loved the nightlife, I love to boogie! On the disco floor! Oh Yeah! [face_dancing]

3. Darth_Julio

Darth_Julio Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2004
    guns and roses !!!!!

4. HanSolo485

HanSolo485 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Ahhhhhhhhhh a thread I can enjoy! Actually been playing guitar since I was in 6th grade, in the middle of writing songs as we speak...Does anyone else out there, play and write?

My Major Influences:

Guns N Roses
    Nirvana
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Cinderella
    Greenday
    and basically all 80s hair bands

I cant stand country, rap, and death metal.

Best concert Ive ever been to: Close one, Greenday about 6 years ago in Fort Mill,
    or Cinderella/Poison about 5 years ago in charlotte......

I dont really listen to much newer music these days, it all sound the same. Something new has got to give here sooner or later....

5. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    The best concert I ever went to was Pink Floyd, back in the early 90's on their Division Bell Tour. I've seen Metallica 12 times, The Grateful Dead 8 times, Kiss 6 times and Clutch 6 times.

HanSolo485 If you are tired of music that sounds the same you need to check out some of the bands on my Favorite Bands list. These are awesome bands that get virtually no airplay on the radio.

6. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Back in the 80s I listend to:

Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Sisters of Mercy
    BausHaus [and all its other incarnations - Dali's Car, Love n' Rockets but only the first two vinyls from them]
    Kate Bush
    Ministry

and plus a bunch of other bands that my brain can't remember at 7:30am. :p

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Yup, Megadeth > Metallica.

I won't list my tastes in music as I'm sick of being ridiculed because of it. But I do have a Juliana Theory tattoo if that tells you anything.

8. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    Ok, so I am going to see
    The Reverend Horton Heat tonight at the Visulite Theater. If anyone has nothing to do tonight and you want to catch a good show then head on out. Tickets at the door are $18, the doors open at 8 pm, the show starts at 9pm and there will be an opening band. Here is their web site...

www.reverendhortonheat.com

9. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Jake and I just went to see Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, the Pat Travers Band, and Joe Lynn Turner at KLPX 2006 X Fest!! Now I was not an Alice Cooper mega fan at any time in my life, but what an excellent show he puts on.. and I absolutely loved BOC.. I mean.. come on.. GODZILLA.. what's not to love!!

other groups that I have a lot of love for..

38 Special
    Molly Hatchett
    Beatles the members separate as well as the group
    Wings
    Commodores
    Earth, Wind and Fire
    Def Leppard
    chicago
    brenda lee
    sandi patti
    amy grant
    others that I have not mentioned

and music that I love
    rock
    jazz
    contemporary christian
    country
    classical- all kinds
    seasonal
    actually pretty much anything except hard core rap.

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006

"With a purposeful grimace
    and a terrible smell
    he pulls the spinning high tension wire
    down.

Helpless people on subway trains
    scream for God as
    he looks in on them."

I can play this on guitar!

Of all the people out there who should have an iPod I am probably one of them because I like such varied music and like a song here and a song there from different bands.

I will say this . . . there was a band from the 80s called Paul King and the Kings - very New Wave. I absolutely loved a few of the songs but it was impossible to find. I happened upon "Paul King's Greatest Hits" on ebay for $25.00 Buy It Now and I snapped that baby up in a heart beat!

It takes alot for me to actually buy a CD. I think I can name the ones I've bought in the past five years:

KISS - Greatest Hits
    Lifehouse
    Paul King
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffeti

11. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    God, I am so much younger than you guys. I listened to that kind of music when I was 5. :p

*runs away*

12. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    Alright, had an awesome time at the show on Thursday night. The opening band, The Horrorpops were pretty good and the Rev. was great as usual. I stuck around after the show and got the guys in Reverend Horton Heat to sign a poster for me. I took a bunch of pictures and I will get them posted here as soon as I can.

13. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    Ok, I know this is a double post, sorry...

Here are some pictures of the opening band that I saw on Thursday night called The Horrorpops...

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914001.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914002.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914004.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914007.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914008.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914012.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914020.jpg]

And here are some pictures of the headliner, The Reverend Horton Heat.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914024-1.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914022-1.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914032.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914029.jpg]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/RHH%20Show/2006_0914036.jpg]

14. Jedi_528

Jedi_528 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    Jada,
    Whoa! Your 80's list sounds just like mine! Of course between working a bit in radio and college radio, I was surrounded by all that!! So you were into Goth I take it? I also liked bands like New Order, The Cure and Depeche Mode. Now I'm more into stuff like Our Lady Peace (from Canada) with thier hard edged sound, to the etheral sounds of bands like Troika and Enya. Of course oldies but goodies still rock in my opinion like INXS, Rush, Fleetwood Mac and some GnR. Also love Stevie Ray Vaugh that Han mentioned. Different musical frequenices for different 'mental frequencies' if ya know what I mean!

Trying to remember 'best concert'..Been to many...Probably RUSH's ROLL THE BONES tour 91 in at the Spectrum (Philadelphia,PA) or else RUSH's Moving Pictures tour...toss up!! Those Canadian boys can rock, eh???!!!

15. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I was a "goth" back in the mid 80s. I had the blue/black mohawk that I did up Siouxsie style and my skin was so pale I had to use white makeup and baby powder. I had naturally long nails and I painted them black and then made designs on them with red or white nail polish using a pin.

I had this awesome grey lipstick. It was a gun metal grey, not silver.

I used to go to this club in Long Island across from Republic Airport called Spize. Good times! Ministry played there a few times.

16. Jedi_528

Jedi_528 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    Whoa! I must confess my "blue hair" days myself! It only lasted for less than a year, alas! Short and punky gave way to long and funky once again as far as hair went. It just wasn't "me". Anyway Jada...do you have any pictures of yourself then? Used to be a "club rat" myself for awhile at places like The Roxxy and THe Melody in New Brunswick, NJ and some places on South Street in Philadelphia. Ahhhh....remember those spandex days??? 8-}

17. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Spandex has NEVER been my friend.

I have one picture that I'll send thru email because it looks lousy if I post it.

18. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    This should be a bit of fun. Please list what you consider to be your Top 10 Albums Of All Time. It could be a classic album or something that was an influence on you when you were younger. You can list more than one album from the same band.

1. Metallica-Master Of Puppets
    2. Black Sabbath-Master Of Reality
    3. The Beatles-White Album
    4. The Who-Who's Next
    5. Pink Floyd-Animals
    6. Pink Floyd-The Wall
    7. Pink Floyd-Dark Side Of The Moon
    8. The Beatles-Abbey Road
    9. Led Zeppelin-IV
    10. The Doors-Debut Album

19. Darth_Samurai

Darth_Samurai Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Aaaalrighty then!

My favorite bands (no particular order):

Tool, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, NIN, pre-black album Metallica and The Smiths.

Top 10 albums (no particular order)

1. Tool-Aenima
    2. Tool-10,000 Days
    3. Dream Theater- Images and Words
    4. Dream Theater- Octavarium
    5. Dream Theater- 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence
    6. Dream Theater- Train of Thought
    7. Pink Floyd- The Wall
    8. NIN- The Downward Spiral
    9. Metallica- Master of Puppets
    10. The Smiths- The Singles

20. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    The NIN campaign for their new album is badass.

I'm an emo kid.

Haha.

21. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    You know what is really sad. Jedi_528 gave TK-2970 a CD of John Williams conducting the Skywalker Symphony in a selection of SW music. [Her giving TK-2970 the CD isn't the sad part. In fact, it's rather nice ;) :D] What is sad is that my first reaction was "this is the London Symphony". [face_plain]

22. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    What my challenged other self meant to say was "My first reaction was this isn't the London Symphony

[face_plain]

23. Rev_Vader

Rev_Vader Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2007
    my taste in music varies, I don't have one particular sound that I enjoy more than another except for country, everything is better than country. dont like it! never have probably never will. I listen to movie soundtracts, to psychobilly, to straight punk and hardcore, emo, 80's, synthpop, techno, ska, metal, and classical.

I love
    Zao
    Demon Hunter
    Joy Electric
    Becoming the Archetype
    Kraftwerk
    Aha
    Wang Chung
    Flock of Seagulls
    Stray Cats
    Billy Joel
    the Toasters
    The Aquabats
    Voodoo Glow Skulls
    Five Iron Frenzy
    MXPX
    Value Pac
    Ghoti Hook
    Tiger Army
    just tons and tons of music that would lead to probably filling a page of music.

24. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    Hey Mike, nice to see you stopped by. Grab a recliner, kick back, put your feet up, relax and have a good time. [face_peace]

P.S.-since you stated that you like Psychobilly I figure you might be into The Reverend Horton Heat. If you are we should go to a show some time. A few other bands that fall into that same category are...

Southern Culture On The Skids
    and
    Th Legendary Shack*Shakers

you might want to check them out...

25. Abby_Normal

Abby_Normal Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2007
    Hmmm, it's interesting that so many Star Wars fans are also fans of 80's hair metal. I'm in the same boat. Star Wars eventually influenced me to open my own comic/toys/games store, The Comic Monstore in Salisbury. And 80's hair metal influenced me to be in my current band, The Graveyard Boulevard (www.thegraveyardboulevard.net).

And yes, Megadeth > Metallica !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.