main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN The Chattooine website

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Vesper2112, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    I wanted to start a post about what we'd like to see on our website. I know alot of you surf the web and maybe even some of the other FanForce sites so I was hoping we could start coming up with some stuff we'd like to see so we'll be ready whenever obivolkenobi's wife (if she's up for it) can work on it.

Obviouslly, we'll need something on the front page about the next meeting status and upcoming events. Contact names, member list, previous meeting notes, photo gallery... what else?

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    How about biographies of everyone? I think it'd be interesting to read how you guys all came to be in Chattanooga what brought you here and such.

3. darthjess

darthjess Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    I use the host ICDsoft.com and since I am a customer I can get a years hosting and domain name registration for $45 bucks if thats that you guys want to do. Just let myself or Matt know.

We will be moving officially next Friday (October 15) but will keep up with the board from Nashville. :D

4. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    It sounds ok to me. That's not too bad split between us.

5. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Good luck with the move. Whew! I don't envy you on going through that. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out. Oh, and yeah... $45 seems like a really good price for a domain name for a year. We'll wait until you get settled in somewhat before we jump onto that, though.

6. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    $45 sounds like a pretty decent deal, especially split between those of us here already.

Perhaps once we decide on our official name, we could use the other most popular ones on our website for different pages (like Mos Nooga Cantina could be our board/chat area, Chattooine Menace could be the page where we post all our upcoming "invasions" such as special events/fund raisers/CONs, etc where we would show up "in force"). Just an idea.

Also--maybe at our next meeting we could go ahead and decide if we need to have a fee or something upfront when people join (that way we could offset any further costs from website/publicity stuff). What do you guys think?

7. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    $45!
    And how much space does that give you etc... etc...

Hopefully I can make the Nov Meeting!

And I'll cough up some $ to support the website.

8. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Jess, what kind of features does that include?

And how's the packing going? I'm gonna miss you two. :_|

9. drthmrl

drthmrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    the site sould have bio's on everybody. email address's like a members section. we should also have a section that has pass events on it. like meetings and pictures. maybe pictures of our collections as well. btw, i found some more old pictures of some of my collection if anyone is interested in seeing them. they were taking about 3 years ago i believe...

10. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Maybe eventually we could even do a news letter type thing. They would be e-mailed, rather than printed, but until then we could have a section on the site for "special" things that any member can submit.

FanFiction is one (to give you an idea of what I was thinking). Original artwork, a collector's corner - showing off collections and/or updating everyone on what deals are in the area). Maybe an ongoing comic strip that we make up? Just whatever. I think the more material we have for people to look at, the better chance we'll have at getting people to want to get involved. I certainly don't want any of this to turn into a chore, though. Hopefully, it'll be open enough to where you can submit what you want whenever you want.

11. darthjess

darthjess Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    We are settled in for the most part here in Nasvhille. Here is the rundown basically if choosing ICDsoft.com.There is a 999MB option for $100 as well.

333MB for 12 months web hosting
    5 GB/Month
    5 Free Subdomains
    Webmail
    FTP Access
    UNIX-based
    Online Control Panel
    Custom 404 Page
    PERL, PHP4, Python, Ruby and TCL
    Reseller Program
    $5 Domain Registration
    Spam Protection
    30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
    Unlimited Number of E-mail Accounts
    24/7 Tech Support
    FrontPage 2002 Extensions
    Personal CGI-BIN
    Password Protected Directories
    Graphical Hit Counter
    Super-fast Servers
    and lots of other stuff that I don't know what they are for HA!

Just let me know

12. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Glad to see you're somewhat settled. Now, if you have unopened boxes after a year, those are thge things you need to get rid of. I know, as I have several boxes in our garage from a couple years ago. I wonder what's in them? They must be things too good to get rid of... Why else would I have brought them from the other house. OK, forget what I said. Save everything!

ANYWAY, I was just about to ask if you knew what all that other stuff (about the website) was good for... How hard would it be to teach someone to keep it running in case you decide to take over the Nashville site? LOL.

If we got the site on the low-end, could it eventually be upgraded? I don't know how much "stuff" we'll have going up initially, but it probably won't be anywhere close to 333MB. I like the FTP access thing. It would be cool to have some things on the FTP that only members could have access to. Could the subdomains be set up that way as well? A members only section? I don't know if there'll be any super-secret stuff on there, but just thinking out loud (so to speak). If you have the time to be our webmaster, that would be great! You'd get to have a title (will bribery work?).

We'll start talks about the site at out next meeting on Oct 29th so we'll have an idea of what we'd like to see. Well, taking into account all the ideas suggested here so far. Not so much layout or graphics, although that can certainly be addressed. Anyone artistic out there can bring drawings or ideas they'd like to see on the site.

Thanks again Jess for looking into this. I hope you guys are happy up there.

13. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm not sure how much high end stuff we'd need at first, though it could come in handy as the chapter grows. The meg size was good--it would be handy for having a photo page from our meetings.

14. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    OK, we know it's $45/year. Split 4 ways, it's $11.25 (might as well make it $12.00. Thanks darthjess for offering to put this together for us. You know a whole lot more than us about if whatever we come up with is actually doable on a site. So, please, please, please, everyone start putting up your ideas and thoughts down on the "The Chattooine Website" post or just send your ideas to darthjess herself.The more we can have ready, the more impressive our website debut will be. Plus, it'll put off paying for the domain until we're ready to use it.

Also, it would be a great idea to start writing up your own bios and getting a pic ready.

15. darthjess

darthjess Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    So far so good

http://chattooine.com/

16. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    yay! we've got a website, we've got a website! Not much so far, but hey, we've got our own website!!! yay!

*dances off with glee*

17. drthmrl

drthmrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    i'll pitch in 20 credits if i can meet someone when i have a day off. yeah, like thats going to happen!!haha. seriously, i would love to donate 20 bucks to the fund. is there anyway we can meet on my time so i can help out?

18. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    darthjess, how did you get that site up? Did it cost anything? Anyway, thanks for throwing our stake in the ground. I promise not to bombard you with tons of material to put on the site. (I'm not the president, so no one has to hold me to my promises, hehehe).

19. darthjess

darthjess Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    heres what I was thinking so far links (in no particular order)

mission statement
    member bios
    forum
    gallery
    latest news

throw some more ideas to me

Vesper - I put it on my credit card and you guys are gonna sort out the logistics

Just waiting for Layren's hubby to send me the graphic so I can get started - need a theme to start with

20. JediJones420

JediJones420 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2004
    damn glad to see that you guys got the ball rollin' in Chattanooga....great fanforce name too. I definitely want in. Don't know how much I could contribute to the meetings/functions, but hell just getting to know more local Star Wars fans is awesome. Feel free to contact me via email, yahoo messenger, etc. if there's anything I can do to help get this thing going. Chattooine....instead of a big dark blur I now see a big light blur....there's nothing to see, I live there ya know :p

21. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Hi JediJones, nice to see ya. Welcome!
    You should definately hang out with us sometime. Feel free to poke around and comment where you like.

May the force be with you.

Oh, and I had one suggestion from earlier--couldn't we name our forum "Mos Nooga Cantina"? and perhaps use other suggested names on our website for different pages (like "Rebel Rouser" for announcements or "Rebel Records"~or something~for our bios, etc, etc)?? What do you guys think? :)

22. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Hi JediJones! I'm glad to see some more interest in our growing group. Just jump right in and start posting up some ideas, thoughts, questions, whatever. We're not really looking for contributions or anything as of right now, so don't worry about that. We'd love to have you come to the meetings and the gaming nights we are planning. That's the plan, anyway, is to have the regular monthly meeting (once we figure out what day of the month works best for everyone) and a gaming night (every week, every other week?). We'll figure it out, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to throw it out there. As you can see, we're going to get a website together so we can direct people there to learn more about us and see when everything's happening.

SarkaVrae... I like the idea of having "names" for the different parts of our site. I'm hoping we can have a really nice site that both serves our needs and will be a site that other boards can look to "to see how it's done"!

23. darthjess

darthjess Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    Definately let me know about the names you guys like cuz I probably know the least about Star Wars than all of you haha

24. darthjess

darthjess Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    What browsers do you guys use?

I am looking at what I have so far in IE and it seems fine, but I have a bit of a problem in Sarari.

I will be using inline frames so hopefully that will work ok for everyone.

check my personal site at www.tattooedjess.com which uses an inline frame and let me know if it works alright for your browsers.

Also its optimized for 1024x768 and higher so if anyone is usuing 600x800 let me know and I can make a version for that as well.

Thanks in advance.

25. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    We use a browser called Mozilla Firefox that Tim downloaded back when all the viruses were coming t hrough windows. We decided we didn't want our system to be that vulnerable -- will check the site when I get home from work today :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.