main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Chewbacca and Han Solo Fan Club

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Rainbow Knight Star, Jun 11, 2005.

1. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Does anyone think that Chewie had a taste for gambling as Han did? We know how Han was about sabacc but maybe Chewie liked to arm wrestle people for money.

2. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I don't know if I's want to gamble against Chewie....he might rip my limbs off if he loses and if he arm wrestles someone the same thing could happen. But it would be fun to watch.:p

3. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think Chewie was much of a Gambler. He had to be the responsible one. :p And the only one dumb enough to arm wrestle a wookiee is another wookiee.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm a little late coming into this discussion but I wanted to comment on the topic of Chewie's death.

I may be in the minority here but I saw his death as a necessary evil. Sure, it was sad to see him go and the aftermath was heart retching to read, but there wasn't much more for him to do at this point. Chewie is a very difficult character to write for(I have plenty of role playing experience to prove this :p), especially since he can't communicate like the human characters can, and what happens is you have authors not knowing what to do with him. He sits idle and his character becomes stagnate. I much rather prefer the heroic ending they gave him than seeing him play babysitter or whatever it was they had him doing for another series.

Where I believe they took things too far was making it a habit of killing one major character a series(sometimes two). It's becoming a pattern and I don't like it one bit. After a while, it loses the shock value and you just get frustrated. And I have a feeling Fate of the Jedi will be more of the same.

And finally, regarding Chewie being a gambler - I just don't see it. Like GuNgAnFaN said, he's the responsible one and he acts as Han's conscious in situations like that. Of course, Han doesn't always listen, but he tries nonetheless.

5. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Gamble against Chewie? Not me. That is dangerous.
    :)

6. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    I see your point, HanSolo29 and yes he met an heroic end, but it just seemed they did it to sell more books, but I don't know such things and yeah, they like killing off major characters don't they? That's one of the reasons I tend to avoid the EU.

7. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I read EU for entertainment only. I don't really believe Boba fett escaped the Sarlacc (sp?) and I don't know how much I believe in Luke starting a Jedi Academy. But it's interesting and fun. :)

8. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Although I read that trilogy they did after he escaped it(the names of the books escape at this point) and it was really good. Now what AOTC did to Fett...not so good.

9. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't read that trilogy...I think.... My brother keeps telling me to.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Are you talking about the Jedi Academy Trilogy? The one where Han and Chewie crash land on Kessel and are forced to work down in the mines?

11. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    No, the one where Dengar rescues Fett after the Sarlacc escape and they reluctantly work together to bring down some space spider named Mudar ahib or something or other and the Bounty Hunting Guild(carp, I wish I knew the names of those books)

12. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    ^^Yeah. Is it the Bounty Hunter wars? Wait, that might take place during the movies. [face_thinking]

I love Jedi Academy Trilogy. That's my favorite EU of all time. That and YJK.

13. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yes, I think that's what they were called and yes, they take place during the events of ROTJ.

14. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I asked my brother. He's a big bounty hunter fan.

15. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Careful, guys, I haven't read thos just yet.

you will be scrubbing these chambers with a very very small toothbrush if you keep spoiling me.

:p

I haven't forgotten about this place. I hope to get a topic up later today, or sometime tomorrow.

Topic Suggestions: The home planet of Han Solo, or revisit Chewie's planet.

:)

16. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I would like to comment on both of those subjects, but I think whatever I say will spoil something for you. :p

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah, that would explain why I was lost. Not a big bounty hunter fan and I skipped over those stories.

Corellia and Kashyyyk! :D

18. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I skip over a lot of EU. Right now I generally look for stories about my favorite characters. Han, Chewbacca and Lando.

Kashyyyk sounds really cool from what I've read. It's a way different Imp rule than TFU leads you to believe.

19. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Wookies are not the only species on that world.
    There are other ones.

20. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    The thing that bothers me about Kashyyk is that in a Guide to the Planets it said that Wookiees had to exclusively live in trees because creatures on the ground were very dangerous and poisonous....yet in comics and ROTS, Wookiees and clonetroopers are able to walk all over the place. I guess they changed it since that guide came out(heck it was ages ago)

21. Kakkay

Kakkay Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    IMO Kashyyyk changed over time.

In KotOR, the Wookiees lived in trees as the Shadowlands (the floor...) were really quite dangerous back then. Maybe as time went on, Wookiees started to venture down more and thought "Hey, this isn't such a bad place! Imagine a little hut there, nice swimming pool, bar, garage!"

And hey, Wookiees are on the ground :p

Either that, or George Lucas didn't want the 'idiot' fans to think it was Endor.

22. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    I have to agree Ludo, I hate that. Anything read about Kashyyyk says it's dangerous on the ground. Because of all the other creatures. But in ROTS they have a freakin' beach???

Kakkay, you would be right about the Endor thing. [face_laugh]

23. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Ooo, daddy look at the giant Ewoks!

Ahh, they're Wookiees honey.

What's a wooky?:p

24. GuNgAnFaN3090

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_laugh]

Wow, this thread sure got some life back in the past few days. :eek:

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Kashyyyk underworld doesn't bother me too much. I think it's pretty cool how the Wookiees travel amongst the trees and how humans need to be stuffed into those webbed bags in order to survive the journey. It sounds like it would be a rough trip.

Anyway, I was at the comic shop yesterday for Free Comic Book Day and I saw a new book called Han Solo and the Hollow Moon of Khorya. Anyone get a chance to read it yet? I only had time to flip through it and I'm now regretting not buying it. Maybe I'll have to take another trip over there this week to pick it up.