Amph "The Children of Hurin" to be published

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Havac, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    According to this article, Christopher Tolkien has finished editing "The Children of Hurin" into a complete work and it will be published early next year.

Exciting . . . :D
  2. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Intersting. I assume this will use chapters from the Silmarillion as a basis.
  3. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Is this referring to the Narn i Hin Hurin, Tolkien's alliterative poem? Or to a smaller prose work?

I have a horrible feeling it's going to be the former, and that it's going to be ... not as good as it should have been.

In either case, it's not going to be a lost masterwork. Tolkien didn't finish the wider 'legendarium' centred on the Silmarillion - the story's largely complete, but the text of the various tales isn't. Any version of Children of Hurin taken from JRR's notebooks is surely going to be some finished bits, some bits that have been sort-of worked on, and some placeholder scribbles along the lines of 'and then this bit happened'.

I'm reserving judgement. Could be great ( [face_praying] ) could be lousy.
  4. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    That's great news. I've read parts of The Children of Hurin in the Lays of Beleriand. It is great and I can't wait to read more. Although my favourite of Tolkiens wotks remains the Lay of Leithan.
  5. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Its going to be big and from what Ive been hearing over the last two days its release is a marketing strategy that leads into a release of a 2,000 thousand page version of Beowulf that Tolkien completed in his twenties.
  6. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

I'm very, very cautiously optimistic.
  7. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    There's nothing good about relatives editing oir otherwise participating in the work of late, talented authors. At least, that's what I got out of my whole experience with Brian Herbert. Hopefully, it'll go a bit better for you folk.
  8. Twinky_Stryder Jedi Master

star 4
    I must say that I've never gotten into prose about Middle Earth beyond LOTR. I have second hand copies of The Hobbit and The Silmarillian, but they're in that group of books which everyone own that you always start, but never finish for one reason or another.

Are there any books concerning the race of men because I think that would grab my interest a bit more easily than books about dwarves
  9. Pelranius Force Ghost

star 5
  10. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
  11. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    A man amongst Immortals
  12. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    EW had a picture of the cover, kinda cool:

[image=http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/yankee8255/hurin_l.jpg]
  13. CyberFaust FanForce CR FF Romania

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  14. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That cover looks really cool.
  15. jag29 Jedi Knight

star 3
    When is the book supposed published.

jag29
  16. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    I like it.

Hopefully the book brings something new that wasn't in the Silmarillion or Unfinished tales. I'll still buy it, but I'll be happier if it does invlude new information.
  17. rebel_cheese Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm scared but hopeful. However, considering other similiar experiments (Brian Herbert and Todd McCaffrey) there's a good chance this will be a bust.

Third time's the charm, I guess.
  18. Randy1012 Jedi Knight

star 3
    This is really quite different. Christopher Tolkien didn't write this himself, he compiled and edited together material written by J.R.R. Tolkien.
  19. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    The cover is really cool.
  20. marte Jedi Master

star 4
    I think all you can find in here is the same writings as in the History of Middle Earth, only probably a bit more ...readable; somewhat like Stephen Hawkings Universe in a Nutshell, when you don't feel like reading the "heavier" scientific publications...

21. Raja_Io Force Ghost

star 4
    The cover looks cool, but it makes me even more suspicious.
  22. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    My impression is that he did quite a bit more. If it were just compiling, wouldn't that be what is already in the Silmarillion?
  23. dudalb Jedi Knight

star 3
    "My impression is that he did quite a bit more. If it were just compiling, wouldn't that be what is already in the Silmarillion? "

COnsdering that Christopher Tolkien compiled the Simlarllion,he is not doing anything which he has not done before.
    The fact is Tolkien never got anywhere near a final,for publication draft of the Sim,and there had been endless debate about how muchof the Sim is JRR Tolkien and how has been "revised" by Christpher.
    To be honest,this is probably closer to "The History of Middle Earth" then anything else:A selection of early and "alternate" versions of the Hurin material then a complete,self contained story.Probably more of interest to the hardcore Tolkien scholar then the average Tolkien reader.

24. dudalb Jedi Knight

star 3
    And I am skeptical about it being the first "complete and stand alone" story by Tolkien since the Sim. If it really was complete,it would have been published a long time ago.
    I will still buy it,but doubt it is going to be a "new" work by Tolkien.
  25. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Has anyone pre-ordered this? I've been tempted, but keep deciding to wait and see how well received it is once it's available.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.