main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The children weren't raised from infancy because?......

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by thechozn1, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003

That and it's clearly shown that Obi-Wan blames himself quite a bit for what happened to Anakin. He tells him "I have failed you," and admits his failure to Luke. In the EU he feels horrible guilt during his first months on Tatooine. Obi-Wan in particular sees the part his own blindness played in the tragedy, letting Anakin and Padme's relationship continue, not believing in Anakin's dreams etc... Of course, he's only human and gives himself too much credit, but he does feel guilt about his part in it all. Maybe he learns to let go of it by the time the OT rolls around, but not at first.

2. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "if they were trained since birth then palpatine would sense their precense too early and they would be screwed"

ditto.
    If they used the force then other force sensitives such as Vader/Sids
    would detect them.

3. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    The Jedi didn't have the facilities any longer for raising or training younglings. The conditions would have been far less optimal and potentially more dangerous as such.

Furthermore, one of the plot points dropped from the prequels was the notion of the Living Force, and its will - which got Qui Gon into trouble, but was finally accepted by both Yoda and Obi Wan - they had to trust the will of the Force to bring about the necessary conditions for Luke and Leia to develop their powers.

4. PADAWANOFANAKIN

PADAWANOFANAKIN Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2004
    The Jedi realizes that the society had change, the sith had change. everything had change, except the Jedi order. In novelization of Rots)

Raise the twin in families was the way the Jedi had to change. It´s a choice, not a necessity.

To change, they don´t plan (it will be unifying force, foresight); To change, they must sense (it is living force: don´t fix in your anxieties: stay here and now where you belongs).

So, the twins are raised on families to conect the changes, and connecting it, connecting society!

5. Evil-Anakin

Evil-Anakin Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    Yeah basically!

6. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    Who knows.

7. bariss

bariss Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003

I believe Obi-Wan's feelings of guilt are those that any parent/surrogate parent might experience under the circumstances as well as generally about any manner of things related to children and the raising of them. As a viewer, that doesn't mean I now take what Obi-Wan says to Luke in ROTJ about being "responsible" for the fall as fact. My brother was born deaf. The doctors confirmed that in their professional opinion, there was nothing my mother did during her pregnacy that contributed to his deafness. She understood this intellectually, but I saw her experience illogical guilt as I was growing up.

I love it how Qui-Gon's actions when Anakin was nine are translated into everyone else's flaw. Qui-Gon apparently is beyond being accountable for anything. Where in the films does it show that the majority of those who were given by their parents to Jedi in infancy or close to it turned into murderers? Is Dooku supposed to be that example? If he is, I wonder why it took him so long after being trained by Yoda and why we don't see/hear references in the films to countless more such examples.

I do agree that Obi-Wan's attachment to Anakin led him to a willful blindness about Anakin and that Obi-Wan is at fault for that and for deliberately turning a blind eye to Anakin's relationship with Padme.

As for Anakin's dreams, my view is based on my interpretation of the whole sage. Shmi held on in the hope of seeing Anakin, then she dies. I think it quite possible that she could have held on longer had he not shown up and might have been rescued as a result of hanging on. Obi-Wan doesn't even know about the Padme dream. As a viewer, I see it as another example of Anakin's fear leading to actions that make his fearful dreams come true.

The EU is the EU. As I see it, the EU contradicts itself and the films at times. As a result, I prefer to base my opinions on my viewings of the films.

I'm under no illusion about the fact that like pretty much everything else in Star Wars, we see the messages through the filter of our own experiences and belief systems.

EDIT - In my opinion, the children were kept apart to decrease the likelihood of the Sith sensing them. I'm sure Obi-Wan didn't want Luke right beside him should the emperor decide to come looking for him after what he did to Vader on Mustafar.

8. marqojin

marqojin Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2005
    "The emperor new as I did. If Vader had any offspring it would be a threat to him. This is why your sister remains safely anonymous." Does this mean the emperor new but was unsure what vader would do if he new he had kids? And if so why did he tell Vader or did he find out on his own that luke was his child?

9. MasterDraco

MasterDraco Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2005
    Obi-Wan and Yoda learned that their Jedi ways aren't enough to stop the Sith. If the Skywalker children were raised a different way, then maybe they could become even stronger with the ways of the Force, and pass it along to their successors.

10. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    MasterDraco, I agree with your answer. Yoda could have easily taken the children to Dagobah. If he remained undetected there, so too would the Skywalkers.

The Jedi had failed to serve as a suitable substitute for family. They failed to learn the meaning and the power of familial love. They failed to sense deception because among themselves because deception was not tolerated.

Perhaps QGJ instructed Yoda and Obi-Wan on what to do -- but the fact remains that somehow (either through the WOTF or QGJ) our two Jedi masters knew that family values would play an important role in the defeat of the Emperor. Yoda and Obi-Wan may not have understood precisely how, they just knew that the force would bring the children to them when the time was right.

11. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Jeez... on Dagobah... and if Luke thought living by the Jundland Waste sucked...

I think it sort of speaks to the Jedi intentions to have one of the kids
    go and live with: the only Senator with any vocal opposition to the Empire.

12. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^^

True, so true -- amazing how Padme was raised in politics and so too was Leia, while Anakin lived on Tatooine as then did Luke!

13. Qui-Gon-Sin

Qui-Gon-Sin Jedi Master

Sep 18, 2005
    Awesome observation. I think the basic idea is that they were just going to wait on the will of the force. They had been pushing things for quite some time now. The dark shrowd had officially fallen now. Plus I think they genuinely worried that the children were powerful and connected with the force enough to where they would be detected.

14. LavaCake

LavaCake Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    I'm pretty certain neither Yoda nor Obi-Wan wanted to take care of babies. Seriously, babies are kind of lame and they cost a lot of money and stuff. Yoda and Obi don't have the cash and they need to be able to stay under the radar. No one needs a kid biting their ankle when they're trying to meditate and go out for a drink.

15. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Truedat. Kids are expensive... and stuff. I personally can't stand the little buggers. I like my cash in my pocket. You know what? I think I'll go to Las Vegas next week, just because I can. No kids is great !!! YAYYY!

16. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    In the book Yoda realizes he has failed. He says he has failed because of his arrogance. He knew the galaxy had changed around him but he refused to change with it and the jedi as well. Therefore the sith changed, the citizens changed, society changed but the jedi still had that "dogmatic view". Wui Gon comes back as a force ghost and trains Yoda on this very thing and it is then Yoda realizes that he was wrong. He actually says to Qui Gon I should have believed in you more when you were alive (paraphrasing here), you were a great jedi and we basically should have gone with your more "flexible" views of jedi life than the councils.

17. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Obi-wan and Yoda were so familiar with the old ways of the jedi that yoda felt the children would need emotional attachments to succeed as new jedi. Afterall, look how powerful it made Anakin, and even Obi-wan for his attachment to Anakin. As long as the twins were allowed to love, and not love whilst being forbidden to do so, they should not turn to the dark side and should be stronger or have a stronger potential.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How many times does it have to be said, emotional attachments are bad. They're what destroyed Anakin and nearly destroyed Luke and Obi-wan. They were given to families only to remain hidden until the time was right. The novelization spins it that they didn't have to be Jedi right away, but could have a normal life. But that's only to try and explain why they did things differently.

19. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    OK, Sinister, emotional attachments were bad for Anakin regarding his fall, but had Luke let go of his emotional attachment to his father, Vader would be dead and Luke a Sith apprentice.

The beginning of ROTJ is all about the emotional attachment of Leia to Han and Luke, Lando , Chewie, Leia and the droids risking their 'lives' to save him. Family, aka emotional attachments eventually saved Anakin when Luke risked his own life to try and ignite the good he knew was still within his father. There is no other reasonable explaination for Luke turning himself in on the Endor moon. He felt, believed that Anakin could be saved, and saving him would also result in the end of the Emperor. Luke could've stayed on the moon and assisted with the attack on the field generators -- a much more strategic and valuable role to the ongoing military operation. Had they taken the generators down earlier, it is likely that both Vader and the Emperor would have gone up in smoke when Lando took out the reactor.

Luke was not exactly what I would consider very well hidden, either. Not with the last name of Skywalker on a planet where Anakin Skywalker was raised! Try Luke Smith, maybe, but how many Skywalkers can there be in the outer rim? We certainly don't meet any others in the saga, do we?

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Not with the last name of Skywalker on a planet where Anakin Skywalker was raised!

But remember, when Anakin was a resident there he was just a meaningless 9 year old slave kid that did some pod racing in a field of hundreds. The few that would remember would probably remember him as "that kid" or "banta pooduu". :D

21. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    it is simple to see that the children were to be trained later on in order to achieve a full life and and not be devoted since birth to the jedi code. i also feel the yoda and obiwan knew that when luke was ready he would seek them out and he did.

some of you are saying that vader and sidious would be able to sense in the force and i say that you guys are wrong. in empire strikes back sidious says to vader "there is a great disturbance in the force, we have a new enemy." that show they did not sense luke until he was close enough to them for them to be able to feel his power.

bottom line i feel that yoda and obiwan felt the children would able to understand more about the force at a latter age and they might have also felt that since they were anakin's kids they would powerful enough to understand the force more quickly, so that when the time is right they would need only enough training to take vader out.

22. vadersmyfather

vadersmyfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2005
    Luke was not exactly what I would consider very well hidden, either. Not with the last name of Skywalker on a planet where Anakin Skywalker was raised!

OK. To us Tatoone has a large significance within start wars. But the same isn't true for the characters. It's a backwater planet full of the worst kind of people, who aren't controlled by the Empire.

It doesn't have significance to Sidious and not for Vader anymore. It's not like he's driving his space cruiser past every day!

I think it's also a stretch to say Sidious or Vader would have sensed Luke. It just isn't true. Vader doesn't sense Leia for instance, Obi doesn't sense Vader on Mustafar....they don't sense everything...particularly if they don't expect it!

23. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^^^
    So why not raise them on Naboo or Corsucant then?

They needed to be kept safe, but also kept normal. Obi-Wan and Yoda could've easily trained them. We get indications that Yoda learns from QGJ that it will be best to place them in families. This goes against all the Jedi know about training younglings. The children still would've been safe under Ben on Tatooine and Yoda on Dagobah. No, family plays a big role in this . . . . right down to Palpatine's last lightning bolt in ROTJ.

24. vadersmyfather

vadersmyfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2005
    I agree family was important, but you appeared to be suggesting before that Tatoone was a poor choice as was to keep name Skywalker...my post was a response to that.

25. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    emotional attachments are a point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.