Fanclub The Chiss fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by ROE_Biggs, Mar 29, 2002.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
  2. Gramse Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thrawn är ett as..
  3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Alien Species.

Still, I'll look up Gamer5 & EGtAS again to see which one said they lived longer than humans.
  4. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Alien speices yes of course. stupid me!

I'll check up everything too! I just hope that AA and EG still are in the bookstore (I haven't bougth them yet).
    However, I like the idea of the Chiss living as long as humans or even shorter better than them living for like 200 years like the Falleen.
    That would make them a little *too* Super Man-like if you know what I mean (I can't find the right word in english right now :)

Gramse, du e bara avundsjuk för att jag har en mycket framgångsrikare internet-karriär än du. För det är väl fortfarande ingen som har svarat på dina mejl. Eller....
  5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    too superior?

Actually I dont mind if they live maybe about another 30 years longer than humans. Like their top lifespan would be 130.

So Alien Anthology says how long Chiss live eh? Must stop by book store to check that out.
  6. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, it says exactly how many years they are children, youths, adults, middle-aged and old.
    I don't remember exactly but I think it was something like this;

child: 1-10
    adolescence: 11-12
    adult: 13-52
    middle-age: 52-62
    old:62-79
    venerable:80+

But I might remember wrong so I better check again (if the book's still there...)

7. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    That doesnt make sense. The Gamer or the EGtAS says they do not go through adolesence. And if they do, it would be brief during their growth spurt which would be between the ages 5 and 10.

Since at age 5 they would appear to be 10 and at age 10 they would appear 20 and would have gone through adolesence 4 to 5 years ago if they were human.

Since it says that by age 10 they are fully developed adults, therefore they would have gone through the horamone changes already.
  8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah I knew I had part of Gamer5 typed up.
    ----

Appearance and Biology

The Chiss are tall, blue-skinned humanoids with eerily grlowing red eyes, sparse blue-black hair and soft voices. All observed representatives of the Chiss species have been in very good physical shape, indicating an active metabolism that keeps a trim figure and prevents obesity found in sedentary humanoids.

Genetic sampling has recently confirmed that the Chiss are near-Humans, though their evolutionary divergence from baseline Humanity has not been pin-pointed in either time or space. Physiologically, the Chiss are quite similar to Humans, with comparable circulatory, neurological, digestive and reproductive systems. Their growth rate is accelerated; Chiss mature much faster than Humans. A 10-year old Chiss has the physical maturity of a 20-year old Human, and a culturally-imprinted emotional maturity many times beyond that of a Human counterpart.

The Chiss homeworld has been encased in a frigid ice age for millennia, though very few signs of evolutionary adaptation to these colder environments are evident in Chiss physiology. It is believed that since the extended period of glaciation began when the Chiss were already a technologically advanced people, the species dealt with their new survival challenges through technological adaptation.

The mineral content in the Chiss home-world's hydrosphere causes the glacial formations to be striking blue in color, as opposed to clear or white. This mineral content also contributes to the Chiss' distinctive pigmentation, though it does not appear to offer any notable evolutionary benefits.

Temperament

Chiss life is harsh and disciplined. Self-control and propriety are among the most lauded character traits a Chiss aspires to. While passions are recognized, they are done so with disdain. Such energy would be better applied elsewhere.

Chiss live in a very regimented society. Crime is abhorred as a weakness of an individual-the notion of blaming society is completely alien-and justice is meted out with little compassion. The Chiss, however, do not believe in captial punishment, recognizing it as an irrational emotion-driven reaction rather than a true deterrent. Exile is the extreme consequence for the most heinous crimes. Given how important familial loyalty is to the Chiss, the expulsion from society is a very grave punishment.

So removed from their passions are the Chiss that they seem almost mechanical. They coldly weigh their options and calculate the most efficient and decisive course of action.

Chiss conflicts never become personal. Chiss are very rarely the aggressors since aggression has nothing to do with their altercations. The Chiss generally let conflicts come to them. To strike first is an anathema to Chiss discipline. Even tacticall-sound pre-emptive strikes are deemed controversial.

Chiss are extremely loyal to their own kind and look down upon other aliens as barbaric and immature. Only by proving that he adheres to Chiss disciplines can a non-Chiss gain the loyalty and respect of the cerulean-skinned people.

Coming Soon: "History & Culture and Politics"
  9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    And i knew I had AS typed up too. Some of it anyway....

This is taken from "The Essential Guide to Alien Species" which has
    answered alot of my questions on our favorite blue species. I typed up
    the most important information. ENJOY!

" Exhibiting blue skin, jet-black hair, and alowing red eyes, the Chiss
    generally command attention in a crowd of regular humanoids. Thier skin
    and eye color, it is believed, are due to a chemical reasction they
    experiance in an oxygen atmosphere.

"The Chiss are an attractive, intelligent, and extremely private
    species, so protective of their society that they have managed to keep
    their existence largely secret from the rest of the galaxy. Scientists
    believe they bypass the adolescent stage of life and advance quickly to
    full maturity.
    They are highly evolved, taking great interest in arts
    and science, and maintain a powerful military. In many accounts, they
    are described as pensive--contemplative,, deliberate, and
    calculating--studying situations from every viewpoint. They often
    consider all the alternatives, even what might have occurred if
    something had been done differently.

"When attacked, the Chiss fight with calm, intelligent, well-planned
    strategies. They are an honorable species, however, and tin the event of
    war, they always wait for their oppenents to strike first. This is such
    a moral imperative that they exiled Thrawn when he called for a
    preemptive strike against an enemy."

< The alien Captain Voss Parck brought to me is intersting, not because
    of his appearanc-which revals the physical limitations of his race-but
    because of the brain that clearly lies behind those glowing red eyes.
    This one is constantly thinking, analyzing, strategizing. He showed no
    fear, but was curious, studying me in turn.

He is well trained. He expressed no anger when I demonstrated my
    distaste at his presence. I was subtle about it, of course, as subtlety
    is more likely to insult such an intellect. I was hoping to spur him to
    anger, and I failed.

I am intrigued, to say the least. And I could see that he was intrigued
    with me. I could sense that he did recognize me as a threat, but wasn't
    fearful of harm. He simply studied me as a potential oppenent.

I am amused. I believe I will watch his new career with interest.

-Emperor Palpatine on Thrawn>

Since this is missing some of the info, I'll head home and type up the missing parts.

10. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I also thought it was strange that AA says they do have an adoscense when EG and Gamer5 (i think) say they don't.
    Still, I do think that they could have a very short adolscense, but as you said, it doesn't make sense that they'd have it *after* the age of ten when they've already reached adulthood.

One more thing; That a 10 year old chiss looks like a 20 year old human doesn't have to mean that they mature with *double* speed.
    It could just as well mean that they lie *10* years ahead.

And, when i read Red Sky Blue Flame I got the impression that the Chiss are not ten years older or twice as old as humans from the start. instead I got the impression that their growth rate suddenly speed up and they start to grow *very* quickly.
    This is from Red sky blue flame:

"and he'd (Jag Fel)played with solemn blue-skinned children, and he'd watched them mature before his eyes like swift-blossoming cannu flower. One day they were children; the next, young adults. Ten year old Chiss put on the uniform of cadets..."

I could be wrong, it was just an impression I got.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for the excerpts from Gamer and EG. Especially EG, it's been a long time since I read it. I just love Palpatine's description of Thrawn in the end!

Just one las thing: what's a cannu flower?

11. Infiltrator Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  12. ROE_Biggs Jedi Master

star 4
    i got that same impresiion from red sky blue flame.

13. Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master

star 4
    Stang, your'e gone for a day and you miss everything, anyone want to bring me up to date?
  14. CommanderSesfan Force Ghost

star 4
    Lots of discussion over how fast Chiss mature, Mazarra :) One relevant point: The Essential Guide only states that scientists THINK Chiss mature quickly, it doesn't definitively say so. So if the Alien Anthology says they do have an adolescent stage, I'd go with what it says.
  15. ROE_Biggs Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah i tend avoid the ones that say "think" as well.
  16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Commander- No they DO mature quickly. The example from Red Sky Blue Flame proves it and that it is also stated in several other sources as well.

Well if they Chiss do go through adolesence, then as I said before it would be during their growth spurt. Between the ages 5 and 10. And very short.

One more thing; That a 10 year old chiss looks like a 20 year old human doesn't have to mean that they mature with *double* speed.
    It could just as well mean that they lie *10* years ahead.

And, when i read Red Sky Blue Flame I got the impression that the Chiss are not ten years older or twice as old as humans from the start. instead I got the impression that their growth rate suddenly speed up and they start to grow *very* quickly.
    This is from Red sky blue flame:

I don't think it meant that they ARE 20 years old. Just that they appear 20 and have everything of a 20 year old human but the longivity.

Anyway, I went home and looked up the EGtAS again and it doesnt say if they live longer then humans. I know I read it somewhere, I'll just have to look for it again. Perhaps its in one of the novels. *grabs all his NJO, HoT, and short stories involving the Chiss*
  17. Gramse Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gud! Har dom inga liv eller?? Och neeeej dom har inte svarat...vänta bara...

Ps. Thrawn tillhör " old " gruppen.. ha ha ha den gubben, den gubben...
  18. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    No, I didn't mean that they *are* 20 years either, I was speaking of their apparence.

What does longivity mean???????
    I looked it up in my English dictionary but couldn't find it.
  19. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    do you mean longevity= long life, life span???
  20. CommanderSesfan Force Ghost

star 4
    I know they do mature quickly, the question was whether or not they had an adolescent stage, or completely bypassed it. The Essential Guide seems to be saying that they do not have an adolescent stage.
  21. Infiltrator Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    IMO they cant have NO adolescent stage, though it could be very very short...
  22. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, Alien anthology states it's a year,and that seems likely to me. But I agree with cmdr Mitthrawnuruodo that it should take place *before* the age of ten, not after as AA states.
  23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah I meant Longevity. Sorry :)

Still I do not like the fact that they made them more human than alien! The only difference it seems to be between Humans and Chiss are:

Blue Skin
    Lambent Red Eyes
    Growth Spurt
    Culture-Imprinted Personalities

Thats it! *pouts* I dont even think Timothy Zahn was trying to make them human either!!

Thrawn: Humans! They can not understand something without making it more human than it really is. Do not insult us by calling us near-humans either. It is just as bad as saying non-human!
  24. shoujo_senshi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Who are "they"? Do you mean AA or Gamer5?
    Well, I think it's Ok that they're "near-humans". They still have all those things that make them a lot cooler than humans!
    Besides, the Gamer only states that they have *comparable* circulatory, neurological and reproductive :) systems...

25. Gramse Jedi Knight

star 1
    " ...make them a lot cooler than humans! "
    = 14 år???

Nää darling ja (Jag) skoja bara!! du får ha dina smurfar ifred!!
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth