main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Chiss in the New Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Since the Chiss have been re-canonized, both as a species and as a small but mighty government in the Unknown Regions...

- what have we learned about them in the New Canon so far?
    - how do they fit into the new state of the galaxy?
    - what hopes/expectations do you have for them?
    - is there anything about them in Legends that you hope is NOT the case for them in the New Canon?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    The Commander mobile game taught us that "the Chiss ladies will shoot whatever is closest".

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I always enjoyed the origin Zahn presented for Thrawn and his brother in Outbound Flight, how the two were born as commoners but adopted by one of the ruling families. The strangely anachronistic element of their society is something I hope they'll maintain.

Also, the Vagaari being enemies of the Chiss. There's something very Mad Max/ Euron Greyjoy about the way their leader used to have prisoners of war basically tied up in glass bubbles attached to the hull of their ships to make their enemies hesitate whenever they fired upon them. It was very metal, and the kind of madness I'd like to see more of in the Unknown Regions.

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Which is why I really hope that is where either the New Television series or the new Trilogies go. The Vagaari were some nasty beings, almost as bad as the Yuzhon Vong. I think that is what we need to see transpire on the big screen. And I do think the Chiss will make an appearance at some point.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I think its cool that their is another government in the galaxy. Its probably perfect for people trying to hide from the Empire and perhaps Thrawn: Alliances's plot revolves around the Rebellion trying to get their support, and Vader and Thrawn working to stop that.

6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I hope that the dangers in the Unknown Regions aren't just people like the Vagaari this time and are more alien with an unstoppable force of nature element and mysterious motives like the Borg had in TNG when they first appeared in Q Who.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Me too. Vaagari could still be one of them, but they're not too different than "race of roving space pirates."

8. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I don't think the Vagaari were really intended to be the big massive UR threat in the Legends stories. They were a villainous group and dangerous, but in Zahns stories they were always more of a supplementary threat to things like the Vong, or Nuso Esva.

9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'd like some more spelling out of how their society works; the old EU was rather vague. We can infer, from things like that conversation between Thrawn and Thrass, that there's some sort of aristocratic system going on, but the specifics are still very vague.

Ghost likes this.
  10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Wasn't one of the theories in the old days that the Yuuzhan Vong were the bigger bad behind the Vagaari? The idea being that their wolvkils going from inanimate ceremonial dress to live animal seemed like shaper tech.

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think it would be interesting to see where the FO is actually located in the UR...and know if there is any interaction between them and the Chiss. They UR is a pretty big place....so I am assuming in the 30 years since Jakku they have not actually built something huge. Simply exploited resources for building their fleet and training troops.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, I could be wrong but I think Zahn may have said as much in an interview and he certainly seemed to have the Vong on his mind all throughout the writing of Outbound Flight. And I think it was outright suggested in-universe during Dark Nest that the Vagaari were at least one-time collaborators of the Vong. Certainly they would have benefited from the Vong invasion; chaos amongst enemy fleets...a lot of potential worlds for them to plunder and enslave.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    And we have seen the Vong ally/manipulate inter-species rivalries outside the mainstream Republic: the Ssi-Ruuk vs the Bakurans; the Yevethans vs their enemies (this time wiping out the Yevethans, rather than allying with/controlling them).

14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Wish we had seen more of what happened with the Vong in the Unknown Regions before they invaded the rest of the Galaxy!

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Any updates or answers to these questions since the new Thrawn book that came out?

16. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes. Their are no male Force-sensitive Chiss

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    That’s not true. It’s just mostly females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes males are rare.

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Let’s see...

-They refer to Force Sensitivity as the “Third Sight”. For them it fades the older they get, no matter how much they try to train themselves.

-They have heard of Jedi and Sith.

-They use Force Sensative children as navigators for their ships through the Unknown Regions. These children are taken by the Defence Fleet willingly or otherwise and once their abilities fade with age they’re discarded (Thrawn seemed particularly troubled by this).

-The Aristocra seem to engage in feuds and bickering amongst each other every so often, but have usually pulled together before it could lead into any kind of major conflict.

-They have a policy of isolation and non-interference, yet are fairly determined to observe other societies.

-They were on the verge of a Clone Wars style Civil War amongst themselves a few years before the Battle of Yavin, which was being exacerbated by another race from the Unknown Regions, called the Grysk.

- Their word for the Force navigators in their language translates to “Sky-Walker”.