main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    It is EU but it constitutes its own level of canon that is just below the films. This is due to the large amount of influence Lucas had over it, as Krueger said. Which makes it disconcerting when something like Mortis comes along and completely contradicts earlier statements on the nature of the force that directly play into how the prophecy business works.
    ...Except i don't think Luke has any idea about the prophecy, and we have no idea what other Jedi presence there will be. It's likely the prophecy won't come up simply because there will be no one around to have heard of it.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    But the audience does, and I see absolutely no reason to believe that Luke wasn't told anything we don't see him being told.

Immortiss likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it's important to note though that we only hear about the Force from the two opposing sides and each hype up their views throughout the saga. I mean the Sith obviously don't think the dark side is any lesser than the light side with Palpatine telling Anakin, "if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force" and Darth Vader telling Luke, "The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force". So while not explicitly stated I do think it's alluded to by the films showing us the POV of both the Jedi and Sith.

kainee and Immortiss like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I was talking about balance between the sides of the Force... and that the dark side is natural when it's a small part of the whole. I didn't say that use of the dark side wasn't just as strong as the "light side" use that the Jedi go by when they follow the will of the Force. The movies seem to indicate that the dark side actually makes one stronger, even though Yoda says it's just faster and easier. And I agree that neither view (Sith or Jedi) is a complete one because they both have opposing agendas. Even the prophecy itself is a creation of the Jedi, so it's probably biased in favor of their view.

kainee and Immortiss like this.
  5. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    This is directly from Pablo Hidalgo in thew Essential Reader's Companion on Canon and Continuity:

'Common questions are: How "real" are the stories? Do they count? Did they really happen?

The most definitive canon of the Star Wars Universe is encompassed by the feature films and television productions in which George Lucas is directly involved. The movies and the television series are what he and his hand picked writers reference when adding cinematic adventures to the Star Wars oeuvre.'

So there is the official answer on what is EU and what isn't. AND what's really interesting is that Pablo confirmed in the ERC that Lucas and his handpicked writers were adding to the Saga and nobody paid attention to it. So when Lucas and Arndt were writing up the Sequel Trilogy they were using the six movies and TCW as canon for the new stories.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I understand but I have to ask where in the films does it say that the dark side isn't an equal side of the Force. I posted those two quotes because to me they seem to indicate that the Sith believe it is equal to the light side and I don't see anything in film contradicting that view.

Immortiss, Dra--- and newdawn12 like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    To me, the Sith view it as equal (or even superior) because of the strength they think it gives them. That's what they care about. Again, I'm not saying that the usage of the dark side makes them weaker than the "light side" usage that the Jedi practice. I just don't see the dark side itself as naturally being 50% of the Force as a whole. That doesn't mean it doesn't give the user as much strength, though. But their using it does make it grow, which clouds the Jedi's ability to see things in the Force, throws the Force out of balance, etc.

Jedi Merkurian and kainee like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I understand your point but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I just don't see anywhere in the films that indicate that the dark side isn't an equal side of the Force so all I can do is go by GL's intent and I think his comments are clear on the subject.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think GL's intent was: "No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive". I would say using the word "No" three times in a row is rather emphatic.

Jedi Merkurian , kainee and Immortiss like this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think GL later changed his mind going considering what he says in the AOTC commentary.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So, now the general audience needs to be familiar with commentaries in order to follow the series? And people give the EU a hard time...

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL changed his intent, but failed to show his new intent to the general audience.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    All that clarifies is "what's highest canon and what isn't."

The phrase "EU" does not mean "stuff that isn't highest canon" it means "stuff that isn't the movies."

But that's a digression from the basic topic- which is The Chosen One and The Prophesy.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How about this: The light and dark sides are back in balance. The next step (which the ST will be about) is to destroy the Dark Side.

Immortiss likes this.
  15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    How do you destroy the dark side? Life creates it. I think the problem is that Lucas himself has been all over the map on the nature of the force. The force we see described in Empire isn't the force of the PT. The darkside simply is, it lives on Dagobah as an example, it grows from aspects of life there.They need to get back to that vision, and strip away all of this PT baggage.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You can't destroy the dark side though. Unless you got rid of all evil in the universe it will always be there. Life creates the Force and since there will always be evil in the universe there will always be a dark side.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Nothing is ever stated about what creates the Dark Side.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The dark side is a part of the Force and it is stated that life creates it. It doesn't say that just the light side is created by life but simply the Force.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Light depends on dark for its meaning. If you take away one, the other ceases to be intelligible. Identity is dependent on its other. When we say "light" we are also in a very literal sense saying "not dark," and vice versa.

So there is an irony is positing the light as superior when it is actually a dependent.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Anger, fear, aggression- the dark side are they".

Perhaps the dark side was created the first time the emotions of anger, fear etc were felt by a living being?

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

It's kind of a chicken and the egg senario. Life creates the force, yet the dark side is shown to tempt life. The way I see it, the Darkside always existed. It would exist without intelligent people around to use it. It simply is an aspect of life. As true and real as the good.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's why I find the Force so interesting because all life creates it from sentient to microscopic from good to evil. Even the tiniest lifeform can effect the Force in some way so imagine how much it's effected by the rise of the Empire and it's evil planet destroying war machines. So while I think the Sith do throw the Force out of balance I think the Empire and all the despair it causes is a big part of it as well. The giant Empire threatening to engulf the small Rebellion as the dark side threatens to engulf the light. I love the symbolism. :D

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Which brings me to something I would absolutely hate: the ST trying to "outdo" I-VI.

24. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Just to play devils advocate, perhaps evil and darkness are meant to live outside of the force. You don't find much darkness inside a light bulb that is turned on.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What does that mean?