main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The prophecy could've just predicted a lengthy but temporary event.

T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    It's so surreal when you make a serious post. Sometimes I'm looking for a joke in the serious. ;)

Anyway, I agree that the prophecy may have just predicted an event that was important but doesn't necessarily last forever.

My idea has long been that the Force might have to create a new Chosen One if the Jedi are not able to stop the Sith from growing too powerful again. Either way, the Force gets what it wants: balance.

Which begs the question: is there anyway around what the Force wants? Or is its Will absolute?

StoneRiver and darth ladnar like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No Will Smith just wants to be an A list star again.

4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    In that case he never should have been in an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Right now the Chosen One prophecy seems to be over. Of course it is possible to revive it with say another Chosen One? But why do this recall to PT times? How does it add to the story? Imo all it does is weakening the importance of the Chosen One if the force just creates a champion at infinitum whenever it feels like it.

6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Haha, that's not what I'm suggesting. I mean the Chosen One's children and grand kids may have the responsibility of keeping things in balance. In a sense, they are part of the prophecy.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But that's already their responsibility, prophecy or not...

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Why is it the Skywalkers' responsibility? The only reason I can see is their lineage. And they seem to be more powerful than the typical Jedi (maybe) because of Anakin being the Chosen One.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Luke Skywalker made it his responsibility to uphold peace in the galaxy and I think he will pass this on to the future Jedi order and Sky/Solo kids. Leia already lives this too, even though she uses different methods.

You think we'll get an explanation why the Skywalkers are so powerful? That would be interesting.

10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    We already got that in Episode I and a lot of people hated it.

Lurknomore and Dra--- like this.
  11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Luke made it his responsibility because 1) Anakin was his father and 2) because he, Luke, had Jedi powers. In other words, if Anakin hadn't been the Chosen One, Luke would have no reason or ability to "make it his responsibility to uphold peace."

Leia also wouldn't be in a position of responsibility if it wasn't for Anakin. And she probably wouldn't have been so effective if it wasn't for her Jedi powers.

You can't really detach Luke and Leia's positions of responsibility from Anakin. It's all part of the Will of the Force.

We already know why Anakin is so powerful. High midichlorian count. It follows from that that Anakin's children would be powerful too, for the same reasons. But this hasn't been directly stated in the films yet.

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002

Taking the idea further what if balance means the balance between the Jedi Order and the Repbulic? One reason for the Jedi's downfall was that that had become too bogged down with the politics and bureaucracy of the Republic. Luke and Leia represent the new balance.

Luke = The Jedi Order
    Leia = The Republic

Both need each other to survive but one can not, and should not, dominate the other. There must be a separation of "church" and "state", the religious/spiritual Force and the political/democratic Republic. They need to work together in a symbiotic relationship to survive but they must remain separate entities.

The Sequel trilogy's theme could be about balance.

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's a very interesting type of balance. I'd love if they went into this direction.

Hm, I think Leia's and Luke's decisions have more to do with why they are why they are rather than the will of the force. It wasn't the will of the force that Anakin would turn evil.
    Luke and Leia have fought for good long before they knew who their father was.

That wasn't what I meant. Of course you can explain that they are powerful because of Midichlorians, but why do they have so many Midichlorians? The underlying question is: Why did the force chose them?

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Interesting. The One in The Matrix franchise was revealed to be someone who only temporarily brought peace and 'rebooted' the Matrix. Neo was one of many (he was the eighth, if I remember correctly)

A very interesting point you bring up.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    God I hope it's not like that.

DanielUK, T-R- and purplerain like this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    As far as we know, everything is the Will of the Force.

I don't think it makes sense to pretend that Leia and Luke are not the children of the Chosen One (just because you don't like the plot). If you accept the story of all six films in the Saga, it's pretty obvious that the Skywalkers are agents of the Force. Yes, they make their own decisions, but they have also been given the properties of heroes.

And Ben tells Luke his father was a Jedi in ANH. He didn't decide to start fighting until that point. He was always desirous of adventure though -- why?

The Will of the Force.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Darth Plagueis.

Do you mean "Why did the Force choose Shmi?"

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I started reading Dawn of the Jedi today and it's a pretty good series so far. It has an interesting idea of what balance means which is basically not allowing yourself to be dominated by either side of the Force. It's interesting to me because in the PT we see the Jedi and the Sith both going to the absolute extremes in their philosophies of dark side and light side and yet in the Mortis arc the Father states something similar to the Je'daii belief when he says that too much light or dark would be the undoing of the galaxy (or something like that.) I really like the concept of when the Jedi Order find balance inside themselves the Force itself is in balance and that this is the ideal state of things.

StoneRiver and Dra--- like this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Unfortunately, "balance inside yourself" is largely irrelevant when it comes to the balance of the Force, except in the sense that the Sith ( who are "unbalanced" individuals from the Jedi POV ) are capable of unbalancing the Force itself. Individual "balance" is essentially just what it means to be a Jedi warrior, but one cannot balance the Force simply by "balancing" oneself, since an individual is not the Force. The dark side and the light side are not philosophies but sides of the Force itself, and the Force is unbalanced during the era of the films due to the actions of the Sith, not because of anything Jedi are doing wrong inside themselves. A Jedi can "balance" himself or herself all day long, but if nothing is done about the Sith the Force will remain out of balance. There is no evident conflict between the belief system of the PT Jedi and the dialogue of the Father in Mortis, as no PT Jedi ever argues that the dark side can be expunged from the Force. Both the Jedi and the Father believe that the dark and light sides must be in balance, as we see from the Jedi belief that the Chosen One will restore balance to the Force.

Circular Logic likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I can't agree with the interpretation of an all-controlling force as this is simply not how it was presented in the movies. In the movies free choice was always very important. The choice to fall or to remain a Jedi, the choice to spare Vader and so on.

Your interpretation takes away that choice. Luke and Leia are nothing but sock-puppets of the force. To me, that doesn't reflect the spirit of the six movies at all.

Luke in ANH is simply adventurous, which is btw. not part of being a Jedi according to Yoda.

T-R- likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    LUKE: You mean it controls your actions?

BEN: Partially. But it also obeys your commands.

StoneRiver and Iron_lord like this.
  22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    If you CHOOSE the quick and easy path, as Vader did.........

Choice is what matters. If the Force had a will that could control everything I highly doubt it would've let Sidious become Emperor and Anakin destroy the Jedi.

Choice.

The will of the Force certainly didn't make Luke adventurous.

fixed it for ya'

23. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I’ve gone back in forth wondering if the Prophecy has been fulfilled, misread, or not yet fulfilled.
    I took DarthWilliams advice from the casting thread and listened to the latest ForceCast and Filoni’s interview.
    I understand that Filoni may not actually know and may only be giving his opinions, but it’s pretty interesting. After the question was asked, “if the Prophecy was misread?” Filoni’s first thought was about Mortis:
    “Mortis definitely is tied to the idea of the Prophecy, very directly. The Father believed Anakin was the Chosen one”

When speaking about Luke and Vader, Filoni says:
    “...the connection is as important as anything”

Finally, (IMO) He also seems to imply that the Prophecy was misread:
    “...perhaps the misreading isn't about one person, it’s the mystery that they need to know that it’s about a bond between people. Between all people to be more selfless and that the bond is signified between father and son…”

As I have stated before, I still would like the Prophecy to be addressed in the ST.

24. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    To be honest I think Abrams is making a sequel trilogy directly to the OT, which he is a die hard fan of, I suspect there will not be a whole lot of references or much care in tying up things to the prequels. I could be wrong but I get the sense Abrams is firmly in the "huge fan of the OT, disappointed by the prequels" camp and since Disney is giving him full control over the story, he doesn't really have any obligation to reference the prequels if he doesn't feel like it. IE: Don't expect a Jar Jar cameo or something.

25. Darth Melack

Darth Melack Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014

My personal interpretation is that the Force IS balance. And that it is the dark side that brings it off balance. There isn't a "the light side of the force" after all.