main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh Sinister, I wub you [:D]

2. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I love the parts of the PT where Anakin travels around the galaxy healing people, when he walks on water, has a whole galaxy wide religion based solely on his teachings, lives a life of abstinence, implores people to turn the other cheek, loves his enemies, and sacrifices himself for the sins of all the beings in the galaxy. Wait, most if not all of those things didn't happen? Then Jesus Christ how can people compare Anakin Skywalker to Jesus Christ? They can't, it's merely a lazy comparison based on very little evidence to support it.

Immortiss and ForgottennJedi1986 like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Immortiss and Darth Archimage like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Damn I didn't think that was an actual real thing.

5. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

source of midichlorians. Not the Force.

6. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Just cap off the wellspring and see what happens [face_devil]

Immortiss and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Qui-Gon: I am a manifestation of the Force, a Force that consists of two parts. Living beings generate the Living Force, which in turn powers the wellspring that is the Cosmic Force.

Priestess: All that surrounds us is the foundation of life, the birthplace of what your science calls midi-chlorians, the foundation of what connects the Living Force and the Cosmic Force. When a living thing dies, all is removed. Life passes from the Living Force into the Cosmic Force and becomes one with it. One powers the other. One is renewed by the other.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    luke is Jesus Christ because he redeemed Vader

Jobertus and Dra--- like this.
  9. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014

An immaculately conceived prophesied guy who is said to bring balance? I'm sorry, you can't write that and not expect messianic comparisons to be made. Anyway, whether he's christlike or not, he's still referred to as the 'chosen one', in other words, some kind of really special guy who has a certain destiny. I just feel like this was a weak attempt to try and make him a more sympathetic character, since Lucas decided he didn't want to show him as the great guy Ben talks about.

vinsanity, Dra--- and loki41872 like this.
  10. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
    "since Lucas decided he didn't want to show him as the great guy Ben talks about"

While I sort of agree with you and wish there had been more moments showing Anakin doing great/nice things, that is still just your opinion from a certain point of view. For instance what happened to the Tuskens wasn't the Jedi thing to do but the Tuskens ("their vicisous, mindless monsters")have never been shown to have one single redeeming quality of any sort, they seem down right evil from I-VI. Even those "innocent" Tusken women sat by and did nothing as Shmi was raped for months, they don't seem like a compassionate bunch at all, but still doesnt make Anakin's actions right though. Part of Anakin's failing is that he is unable to control his normal human emotions which separates him (and Luke) from other Jedi who seem to suppress theirs as much as possible. So other than that scene and the last half of ROTS I would say all in all Anakin was a good guy before his fall. You have to remember when watching IV that Obi-Wan is hiding many things from Luke and isn't being straight up with him, Luke confronts Obi-Wan about it in VI and we get the whole "certain point of view" for an answer. It's kind of like if Batman was raising or training Two-Face's son he might only tell him about Dent and not about the evil man he became.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Yeah. I guess to me it just felt like I was being beaten over the head with this message that Anakin was heading down the wrong path, whereas with Luke it felt more like there was a danger that he could do that.

On the subject of Ben's original story to Luke and subsequent revelation in Jedi, I always saw that as more of a retcon, but it is a retcon that makes logical sense motivationally for Ben's character. Since, it's pretty apparent that the whole Vader is Anakin idea was only invented during the writing of Empire. I'm sure Lucas would have handled the story Ben gives to Luke slightly differently had he foreseen that; maybe he wouldn't have told him straight up that Vader was his father, but he would probably have made it less of a straight up lie and more of an omission of fact. In the end the way that whole thing played out was pretty good, because it made Vader's revelation more shocking and gave it an element of doubt, like maybe he was lying.

12. ForgottennJedi1986

May 12, 2014
    I know exactly what you mean on both points. Though I was disappointed back 2000, I'm now happy that GL took out the scene of Anakin beating up Greedo since AOTC is almost as dark as TESB and ROTS is even darker, we really did need TPM to show Anakin as just a sweet kid that everyone rags on. It's clear that during IV-VI GL was just making it up and reworking it as he went along, with I-III he had kind of written himself into a corner(which would happen to anyone who decides to tell the middle part of the story first). Everyone already knew Anakin was going to become Vader, the Clone Wars would happen, Palpatine would become Emperor, the Jedi would be destroyed. So in order to gives us things we didn't expect I think he invented both the Chosen One prophecy and the forbidden love bit to throw us a curve ball. In the end, I would say GL did a fantastic job of tying both trilogies together.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Force is one mean sonofagun.

14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

So midichlorians existing connects beings to the living force. When beings die they go from the Living force to the cosmic force, giving it fule. The cosmic force creates midichlorians to connect beings with the living force.

Daaamn Ep VII needs a seminar on these things.

Dra--- and Darth Archimage like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That would be interesting to see.

Immortiss, Dra--- and Darth Archimage like this.
  16. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    ookay, I went ahead and watched the arc in question. It didn't answer much. In fact it raised more question than it answered:
    - What is the unifying force then? Or was it scrapped?
    - What on that planet gives birth to the midichlorians?
    - Who were the five priestesses in life, and what were they in death?
    - Why was Bane wearing a samurai like armor instead of his orbalisk armor that he was to wear in the mortis arc?
    - Speaking of which: how does Mortis factor in, with the role of this force planet?
    - The priestess told Yoda that there is another Skywalker, before Padmé got pregnant. What does this mean?

All we know for sure is that Yoda still has a role to play. The whole point of this three episode story arc was to enable yoda to defeat the sith by retaining his identity after death. In the movies he only shows up once, briefly as a force ghost, after Palpatine dies. Unless Yoda appears in the ST this was all pointless fanservice.

Oh, the priestesses claim that yoda will train the one who will restore balance to the Force. So Luke is infact the chosen one.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Because Lucas and Filoni changed their minds.

18. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

I sense another, third origin story. I hope it also involved Revan.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    that is the only thing GL did. the recent films were a joke

20. ForgottennJedi1986

May 12, 2014
    To each their own, I personally enjoy all six films with the same love.

Zinnzade likes this.
  21. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I'd probably love TPM if it was cut down to about 25 minutes.

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reminder... this thread is not for bashing or PT vs. OT stuff.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Actually neither is it about the nature of the Force and that is what I was discussing. I really want a leak to come sometimes about now. We have so little to go on and this makes us more susceptible to offtopic.

24. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I keep thinking about one thing. If the Sith return during the ST, and it is not Luke or his offspring the ones who defeat it, would this mean the profecy was not true? How do you think it would affect the saga story if a character like Boyega, or another non-Skywalker role, is the one who ends up with the Sith on this trilogy?

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The nature of the Force is pretty intrinsically linked to things like the chosen one and the prophecy. Bashing and arguments about OT or PT are pretty irrelevant to the topic. Furthermore, due to their contentious nature, they can lead to things like warnings and bans.