main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Fair enough. I'm still thinking about the Yoda arc. The way I see it, the Force Planet generates the Force and Mortis controls it. It is there that the sides of the Force are represented and the prophecy and the will of the Force is discussed(This is supposed to be the unifying force. this controling, leading nature of it through visions). But now more than ever, I am convinced that the Force is not natural.

1. It has a conscious will
    2. Mortis is inside a monolith which is not usual for planets
    3. Perhaps as a fail safe the generator of the Force is not on the planet that balances it.
    4. It has a generator.

Soooooo, taking all of this into account, is the fullfillment of the prophecy really a good thing?

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

This doesn't make any sense to me. None whatsoever. The PT narrative doesn't exactly fit what we learned about Vader's past? Are you kidding? And what on earth does this have to do with the possibility of the prophecy in the ST, when the damn thing was achieved at the end of ROTJ?

loki41872 likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The thing is that Christ doesn't have the exclusive rights to divine births. Throughout mythology, there have been heroes of divine origin that weren't Christ or Christ like. The only difference is that Christ has a better press agent.

The Unifying Force is essentially the Cosmic Force. Lucas just referred to the latter in his commentary and interviews.

Hard to say.

They were Force users like the Jedi, the Sith, the Whills and the Nightsisters. But unlike the Jedi and Sith, they were dedicated to the study of the Force.

Lucas was more hands on and felt that the original look wasn't good enough.

Mortis is a different realm from where the Republic/Empire is. A different plane of existence.

YODA: "There...is...another...Sky...walker..."

It is the future.

4. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Didn't the Priestesses essentially tell Yoda that he could only be taught if his intentions were good? I think this would eliminate the Sith and probably the Nightsisters as Priestesses.
    EDIT: I misread darth-sinister post - you are probably correct.
    Do we know this for a fact?

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ben didn't say anything even remotely like that until ROTJ, when he said Anakin was a "good man" before his fall. That's all. Everything said about him in ANH was about his skills.

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Not to mention, one of the biggest strengths of TCW, IMO, was portraying Anakin Skywalker as a heroic figure who was truly at heart "a good man" that at times the prequels generally failed to convey. I had a better time accepting the link between the Anakin of the prequels with the Anakin that Ben talks about in ANH after having seen TCW. One would think that TCW was Lucas' way of retroactively trying to accomplish this task, and for the most part I think he succeeded.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't think TCW conflicts with the PT, either, I just think the PT didn't really have the time to show enough of that side of Anakin.

8. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Yeah, and about him not wanting to give Luke his lightsaber until he was old enough too. It's safe to say that Lucas changed his story for the PT and that we shouldn't listen to Obi-Wan. That being said, Obi-Wan's take on things would have been better than what we got. But I guess that's PT bashing, and not for this thread?

But on topic: I am with those who seriously hope the idea of the prophecy, 'balance,' and any details about how the force works should be left out of the ST. We merely need it to exist to empower certain characters in different ways, and that is all. Let us find out how strong someone is by how they use the force, not their midichlorian count. Don't tack on a prophecy that is unclear in how it will play out, or whether it was accomplished or not (and had to be explained in EU material).

The only aspect of the force I find fascinating that they SHOULD elaborate on is having PLACES being strong with the force, and producing crazy effects. This I wouldn't mind seeing explored more, but other than that, just leave the rest alone. We don't need to know how it works. The fact that it is mostly a mystery is what makes it appealing.

Jcuk and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have to agree with this.

10. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    In ANH Ben said of Anakin '...and he was a good friend' but, to me, from the way Guinness delivers the line, it seems like he was a great guy. Anyway, regardless of what exactly Ben said, I still hold the belief that his fall would have been more tragic if it wasn't so obviously over played in the lead up to his seduction, and he'd been a more noble guy in general. I never liked him or rooted for him in the way I rooted for Luke, so I didn't really care that he joined the Sith, because to me, he seemed like a bit of a dick generally anyway.

Jcuk, vinsanity and TheFoot like this.
  11. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Yeah this is mostly how I feel too. After first meeting Anakin in AOTC and from there on, it was VERY difficult to like him in any way. The things he said, the way he thought, his reactions to things....they did not say 'noble guy' or 'good friend' in any way. I would argue that he only does 4 good things the whole trilogy: 1)wins the pod race to help strangers he just met 2)accidentally blows up the trade fed ship 3)tries to help Obi-Wan in a time of need even against Jedi orders 4)'saves' Palpatine at the start of ROTS. So out of those 4 things, one of them was by accident, one of them he fails at initially (helping Obi-Wan), and another was never a good thing at all (saving Palps).

That's pretty much it! Agree that Luke is the true noble/selfless leader and that Anakin should have been more like Luke at first (Lucas had a clear template to work with and didn't go that route anyway...)

Taking this character and what happens in the PT....I'm not sure the prophecy and 'balance' aspects of the force are even necessary to the story. Even the immaculate conception was unneeded. As this thread proves, it's just caused confusion and unrest with fans, and doesn't really add much to the overall story anyway.

vinsanity and Visitant like this.
  12. hamad138

hamad138 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 25, 2014
    In plaguies novel its explained.

Plaguies and palpatien shifted the force more into the darkside 30years before ROTS, so the force was already out of balance years ago. Due to more experiment from plaguies, the force stroke back and created Anakin Skywalker who had atleast twice the amount of Medichlorian than palpatine. The force created him to ring the force to balance again

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It was explained well enough in the films, and also by Lucas. It didn't require EU material. You could figure it out well enough just from watching TPM, if you had already seen ROTJ.

Neither did the OT films. In fact, they said he had an anger problem.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    sorry

EHT and darklordoftech like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just...just....please ignore the prophecy altogether.

TheFoot and SgtTimBob like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    as long as the plot doesn't call the prophecy into question

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No there will be a grand hearing where Han interrogates the droid Proph-E-Cy for the murder of Luke and C3PO.

18. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I wonder if Lucas would still have included the prophecy thing in the PT if he knew the ST was actually going to be made after all, even though he'd personally abandoned the idea by the time of the PT. For a long time he publicly teased the idea of the ST, until about the time of the PT. I get the impression that he'd decided at that point that there would be no ST so he decided to construct his film series around the idea of chronicling Anakin's rise and fall, and end with his death. Creating a prophecy for Anakin is one way of saying 'this is the main dude in the entire saga.'

Adding the ST kind of changes that whole idea, and arguably makes Luke into a more prominent figure in the whole thing. So that makes me question whether he would have gone with that choice, if he'd known there would in fact be more episodes.

19. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    In the long run, I expect this series to grow larger than Anakin and even the Skywalker family in focus. They'll still be involved, but this will be much bigger than them. It already appears to be happening...

20. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
    Anakin's anger "issues" have frustrated me in the past as well. On the surface his dark, brooding nature does seem to diminish his eventual fall. But if you realy think about it, it really doesn't. His intentions, though extremely warped, are never to do wrong. Up until the very end he remains loyal to the Jedi. I think he was portrayed like such an angry, warped young man to suggest that he was, in truth, a well-meaning kid who wanted to do too much, too soon about the injustices that he'd witnessed around since he was a child but his anger ultimately got the best of him. He was born a slave after all. Granted, as the RLM reviews point out, Anakin seemed to be having a great time as a slave. :p

Jcuk and ForgottennJedi1986 like this.
  21. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    If it was explained so well how come people have a million different interpretations of it? Have you been reading this thread? Lucas only had to explain it because an interviewer asked him what it meant because the FILM did not tell us what it actually meant.

Go ahead, explain to me YOUR interpretation of it gathered only from TPM and ROTJ.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Or because DVDs need special features.

Obi-Wan explains it, twice, in ROTS dialogue. That's in the movie. You don't need Lucas.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't ask Lucas about the prophecy because even he doesn't know who it refers to nowadays.

Jcuk, TK327, Visitant and 1 other person like this.
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, according to ANH and TESB the Force is generated by all life. The "Force planet" was only said to be the original source of midichlorians.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not 100%, but given that very little time passed from everyone else's perspective and that Father said that Anakin balanced the Force here and will do so again, indicates that they are in two separate places.

Dra--- and Darth Archimage like this.