main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The dark side should be presented as something that ultimately leads to destruction, defeat, and depression, not as cool, attractive, or the light side's equal and opposite reaction.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

[​IMG]

Rabs, Flapjack4 and darklordoftech like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No doubt someone has said this before but in regards to my take on the ST and how this figures in to Anakin, the prophecy and the Sith:

The prophecy's origin is never directly revealed. It's a Jedi one made some time before TPM. It may have been a hundred or a thousand years previously. We don't get an actual reading and as per Force visions whomever saw the vision has to translate that to other people who put their own spin on it.

It terms of bringing balance to the Force and "destroying the Sith" the obvious get outs are this:

1) Destroying the Sith line of Bane and the Rule of Two. This doesn't apply to Sith from before Bane who survived and continued on.

2)Even if there is a new Sith it's someone who is some cast off from Bane's line who created a new lineage and doesn't follow his teachings.

3) These are new "Sith" ie Dark Side users who have no historical connection to any Sith but adopt the name.

4) Same as above but without evening using the Sith name. They consider themselves a new and better Dark Side order.

5)Destroying THE Sith as in very specific Sith in very specific circumstanes. It's not just the mere presence of Sith that puts the Force out of balance. It was the very specific actions of Sidious, his master Plagueis before him and his apprentice Vader as well as the inaction of the Jedi that created the extremely dangerous imbalance in the Force.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Because of how George Lucas was heavily involved in TCW we got see beautiful episodes with the Force and aspects of it ( Nightsister Trilogy ,Mortis Trilogy,Mercy Mission,Darth Maul Returns arc,the Young Jedi arc ,Bardotta duology and the Force arc ) .
    I hope that we get to see that .(But I have doubts because they all could go safe and not do anything new with the Force)

5. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    The 'prophecy' was a lazy bit of storytelling and was a worrying signal that Lucas had started to believe his own hype. A lame idea more suited to an episode of Thundercats (a weak episode of Thundercats at that...).

Other than on boards like these there is no doubt that the prequels are generally felt to be a lacklustre series and are certainly generally held in much lower regard. The cartoons remain popular because younger kids like lightsabers and spaceships. Note that the Transformers movies also made money but that certainly doesn't make them good movies (that said at least they have a sense of humour which the prequels desperately lacked.)

Dra--- and Jcuk like this.
  6. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Back to topic - these movies will be about heart, not rules. Expect the limiting non-logic of the rules and regulations which suddenly governed the force in the PT to be ignored or better still washed away by the 'awakening'.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Rules such as "Jedi can't marry or be trained after birth", "dark side users are Sith", "Sith are called Darth", etc.

8. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    Yup. Prophecies are lame story ideas, used only by lazy writers. Like that hack Sophocles.

Andy Wylde and Immortiss like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry but I think you got it the wrong way round.

The prequels opened up the Force by going past the set limitations that some others decided should govern them. They were the ones who reacted against things that for whatever reason they failed to notice were already in the OT and the PT took those and expanded upon them and added to them.

The Sith are a case in point. In the OT the term Sith is never used. What they are or what it means was never touched upon. They were simply Dark Side users and why were their only 2? There were many, many Jedi but apparently only 2 Dark Side users.

It's not non-logic but totally logical to actually explore why that is the case. Right in ROTJ the Emperor wants Luke to turn and if he does then Vader has to go and Vader wanted Luke to turn and together they would destroy the Emperor. They can't all work together.

So the Rule of Two and the creation of the Sith culture and the title of Darth itself is just bloody clever. Why would Anakin Skywalker take the name Darth Vader? We didn't know. Now we do. Why are there only two? Why can there only be two? Now we know.

You have to build on what has come before, add and expand and not just limit yourself. A key aspect of the ST will be for them to add to it while revealing new layers of what has come before.

10. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015

:rolleyes: His storytelling isn't lazy but your explanation certainly is .
    The Episodes I-III and TCW brought so much more to Star Wars .

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Now talk about the prophecy.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that we didn't NEED to know any of that. The OT proved that it wasn't essential information. And the PT just added dumb things, like a prophecy who's only purpose was to pump up "space messiah" Anakin's importance. Hell the midichlorians were the same way, hence why they went out of their way to say that Anakin had more of them than ANY Jedi, including Yoda. It wasn't about "expanding on" the universe, it was about turning Anakin into space Jesus and retconning the entire saga into being "his story" when the OT was clearly Luke's.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    That's subjective. Not definitive. Remember to put 'IMO' after such a statement my friend. :)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    I apologize but him/her stating his/her piece of opinion as a fact isn't alright in my book .

Andy Wylde, Jcuk and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I already did.

Not at all. Lucas was very specific in cutting out all kinds of essential information in the OT. He went out of his way to cut it out to tell a very specific story that was missing all kinds of information that would inform the story.

Once he embarked on the PT he was in the position of having to give that essential information in that trilogy to balance out the lack of it in the OT.

It wasn't "dumb" at all. IT"S THE STORY. I can only guess that you didn't like it when you found out that Luke's father isn't dead but turns out that it's Darth Vader and that by having that happen it was really just a "dumb thing" to make Luke more important?

Again I can only guess that TESB is a film that you really dislike since it retconned Vader from merely being a underling Bond style sidekick villain into the number 2 guy to the Emperor who's now plotting to take him out as well as the aforementioned "Not only does he almost rule the universe but he's also Luke's dad as well!"

I mean it clearly takes the story away from Luke Skywalker to being Vader and son!

That is what TESB means to you.

Right?

16. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I was reading a fascinating French science fiction forum a few days ago. In a thread in the SW section, some people noted that Anakin could have brought balance to the Force in quite a different way: by being Palpatine's representative on the Jedi Council, Anakin was in unique position to act as a diplomat and attempt to reconcile the two opposing views of the Force. He could have acted as a diplomat between the Sith and the Jedi and found some kind of moderate middle path between the two positions. It is ultimately the dogmatism of both Palpatine and Yoda that brings about the downfall of each.

I thought that was a unique interpretation worth sharing on here.

17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's an interesting hypothesis. But ultimately, an unrealistic one. Both the Jedi and (in particular) the Sith, were quite resolute with regards to their own views and beliefs in the Force. A sit down and debate session between the two would more than likely end in tears lol

18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think the best plot is to have the Sith trying to reestablish themselves as powers in the universe. That gives you some semantical room to play with -- Sith can still exist but what the prophecy was concerned with was stopping the Sith from controlling everything.

Or again we can simply read the prophecy as referring specifically to Palpatine, since the word Sith can be used singularly or plural. "The one who would destroy the Sith...known as Palpatine."

Whatever the explanation, the meaning necessarily must shift because the darkside is returning, and probably returning in the form of Sith.

But even if we can call these new darksiders something new, the prophecy still isn't saved from sounding potentially ridiculous:

"The one who would destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force, until the Dith emerge soon after to unbalance the Force again."

So changing the names around doesn't really do much -- unless the writers go out of their way to show that the Dith have much different motives that somehow don't unbalance the Force. But now we're getting in convoluted area which most writers would want to avoid.

Overall, I think its best to forget about the prophecy and just accept that's a hangover of the six part story that is no longer six parts.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    All I hope is they do new things with the force as they did in the OT PT and TCW.

20. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    In my opinion, Anakin destroyed the Sith and brought balance to the force. He just did it in a way the Jedi didn't see coming. I think if the Sith are back its because of a reason I'm sure will be explained in this trilogy. Maybe a group of Sith Lords have been in hiding that have nothing to do with Bane (kind of like in KOTOR 2). Maybe some ancient Sith will be resurrected on Moribad. Maybe there was a secret apprentice. It's not like Star Wars never killed them off and brought them back before (Kun, Revan, Cadius).The EU isn't canon anymore, but if they did it once I'm sure they can do it again.

21. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    They did some awesome things in TCW

22. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    Or maybe the prophecy has yet to be fulfilled?

23. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    Maybe Luke (or some other Skywalker destroys the last of the Sith).

24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    "Perhaps some vital information eludes us."

Those who show their anti-prequel bias would do well to temper it and suspend judgement until the story complete. When we talk about the PT and its concepts we should be reminded that we're only discussing a part of the story, not the whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo Base and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I can see that but no I don't want it to be that way have it be the with died with Sidious and the new "Sith" are just darksiders.