main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Based on the entire point of the OT - that Luke found the right "balance" - Luke is more likely to be that guy than Anakin.

Dra---, Immortiss and ChildOfWinds like this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Well first of all, part of Anakin's function as the Chosen One could be to have children. And by the end of ROTJ, Luke is definitely on the right path, but he still considers himself a Jedi. If Qui-Gon learned the secret of immortality from the Whills, and then Anakin was able to discover it upon his death, then perhaps he still has a role to play in learning from the Whills and guiding Luke and Leia and/or their descendants into developing a greater understanding of the Force and growing beyond the Jedi, thus truly fulfilling the prophecy. Yeah I know it's a bit out there but I do think it kind of fits.

3. Oberron

Oberron Jedi Padawan

Sep 6, 2013
    Well he certainly cast lucky on the chosen one duties lottery.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Clearly the Force is amoral.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Force is a ****.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    A Prophecy misread, my ass. Did the Jedi even bother reading it?

7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I was so used to your old icon the new one is majorly defamilarizing. [face_alien]

8. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm the same old Immortiss, though.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Good, because this forum wouldn't be the same without you. Thoughtful, fair-minded posts are hard to come by.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I want that to be an actual quote from Episode 7.

11. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks, and I value your thoughts, here, too :) I always strive to add something to the discussion. I sometimes try too hard, but it's all for fun. The posts get more interesting after four or five beers, like last night;)

StoneRiver and Dra--- like this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Try scotch.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I like scotch. Vodka mixer and margarita's tonight.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    According to Darth Maul in Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon, the Sith and their starting of the clone wars is what's causing imbalance in the force. Plus, contrary to what some people might think, having Anakin kill off the Jedi isn't going to bring balance back because it only led to further imbalance with the endless violence and killing that has plagued the galaxy till the end of Return of the Jedi. Even Obi-wan believes that Anakin failed to bring balance to the force when he made that "You were the chosen one" speech so as George Lucas pointed out, Anakin brought balance back to the force by killing PalpSidious and in the process, getting himself killed.

Immortiss, Dra--- and Darth Raiden like this.
  15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Agreed. Do you think there will be balance in the ST? Will Anakin be back? Is he necessary? If Plagueis or another Sith is the villain does this contradict VI in terms of prophecy fulfillment? Will the Jedi be maintaining balance or fighting an existential threat?

I'm trying to make sense of these questions beyond VI. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I don't see how Anakin can come back. He's a force ghost now at the end of ROTJ with no way to return to the land of the living. Plus, bringing in new Sith lords could undermine both the ROTJ ending and Anakin's redemption because the existence of a sequel trilogy means that all of Anakin's efforts to make things right were for nothing. I'm sure that Luke and his newly-established Jedi Order will be there to combat the new threats to the galaxy.

Immortiss likes this.
  17. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Destiny is one thing and purpose is another. A Chosen One should be aware of their mission. Moving toward it deliberately. Anakin was presented a choice. Either way he's dead at the hands of the Emperor or by destroying him. He's given a catch 22:

1. Save my son, kill the Emperor and then I die, due to a dependence on him.

2. Let the Emperor kill my son, I stick around for awhile until a new apprentice of the Emperor arrives to cut me down.

IV through VI is a story of redemption. Now we're being told I-VI is that, plus a fulfilled prophecy. Now I'm interested to hear what the story of I-IX will be? Anakin fulfilled the prophecy in the material world, but needed to do it in the celestial world, too?

If Darth Plagueis is the villain then there may need to be a story shift.

JediGirl_Angelina and Dra--- like this.
  18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    What could be written that could span three episodes, have enough story connectivity to the entire saga and is a sequel to ROTJ (and ROTS)? ***Remember, the PT enlarged the story of the OT. Putting the focus squarely on Anakin/Vader. My assumption is that the ST will continue that pattern of expanding on the two previous trilogies. The pattern is to continue and grow the story forward, but filling us in on the back end, too. Expanding the entirety of the saga. If the saga is about Anakin, then he must be featured at some point. Otherwise it would not be a sequel. OT=Darth Vader, PT=Anakin, ST=Force Ghost Anakin and Darth Vader?

That's not to say Force Ghost Anakin should be at the center of the new series. No, perhaps the end. Anakin and Luke would need his progenitors to perform specific tasks in order for them to get their job done. If the Force is in jeopardy then so is the Force Ghosts. Everything Qui-Gon learned, lost. The new heroes may be separated from their Force Ghost Elders, isolated, on their own. The new heroes have to save themselves, the Jedi and the Ghosts, so Anakin can complete his mission.

What about a Plagueis return?

Two things the last Episode mentioned in important parts of the film:

1. Darth Plagueis-The Legend was a pivotal part in turning Anakin.

2. Qui-Gon discovers and shares the secrets of conciousness preservation in the Netherworld.

I believe this is where the story momentum lies for both the Jedi and the Sith.

Try to map the ST. What will be the problem? The problem will be presented by the villain and will conclude a saga. Luke or the others will pass the torch. They will not be around past VII. The new heroes will have to prove themselves and the writers will have to legitimize them and the story by anchoring or connecting them with the OT (easier to do visually with the big three around), but with the PT as well. If they don't do this then the result could be a trilogy that bares little relation to the previous 6 episodes.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I had the weird idea that Anakin's spirit could be split into two parts. The evil Vader persona and a good Anakin spirit. Anakin is in force heaven but Vader ... probably ain't.

But I am only suggesting this because I am willing to accept pretty much anything if it means seeing Vader back on the big screen. Even resurrection which I normally hate. Call me hypocritical.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think there's a good chance that they'll want to bring back Vader in some form or other... and the most logical way to do this (IMHO) is that Anakin's conception was indeed linked to Sith experimentation undertaken by Plagueis... and that perhaps Anakin was not the last force sensitive being to be created by Plagueis. Therefore, it would be easy to have another Plagueis creation (wether identical to Anakin or not) to don the mask of Vader.

Immortiss likes this.
  21. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    I will. Usually your posts are awesome, but the idea of resurrection makes me want to hurl.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Vader could come back like the T-800, sworn to protect the new Chosen One and now using his cool catchphrases for the forces of good!

23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Like it or not I think 'resurrection', in some form or other, (physical or metaphorical) is entirely in keeping with the quasi-religious overtones of both the PT and OT. And given that force ghosts are pretty much the 'resurrection' element of the OT, I don't think it's a stretch at all that this could be extended to the 'physical'... and I can see it happening in Ep VII.

Mystery_Roach and Immortiss like this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh, I know its a bad idea.

Thank you for the nice words. :)

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Interesting, to say the least.

Lord TW: It depends on the context. It could be done well if the story is right. If there is no context and they just throw Vader up on the screen for no good purpose, by all means, hurl.

Mystery_Roach likes this.