main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. locketcoket

locketcoket Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2014
    From my perspective a saga is large story told over many different chapters and that's what GL has said Star Wars is. A saga.

Aside from that I'm fine with other people like Nightsister becoming a threat but Star Wars isn't complete without a villain with dark force powers
    And what's The Matrix route?

Think About It

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Yep. The PT completely overdid the Jedi. Light sabers were going off every 3-4 minutes, especially in AOTC. It loses it's significance and soon becomes silly (like the arena scene where dozens of Jedi are deflecting 58 million laser blasts).

In the OT, light saber use was minimized. Duels were clearly special moments. Hopefully the ST will turn back to that type of usage.

darklordoftech and locketcoket like this.
  3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Objectively speaking, the setting of the PT era required showing us what the Jedi were like in the Old Republic and contrasts the OT era and the near absence of Jedi at that point in the saga timeline. In other words it would be inappropriate for Lucas to write the PT era as if it were like the OT era.

4. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Brought this over from the Huge Spoilers Thread since the discussion has been closed.

People aren't hung up on it, the names Jedi and Sith are in the title of two of the films; and A New Hope references a Jedi hope and The Phantom Menace a Sith. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see the Jedi face off against The Blob in Episode VII.:p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Luke Skywalker used the Force to blow up the Death Star....Point: Darth Vader.

The Death Star is a great dramatic device as a problem. It was resolved. As the story progressed we find out that the Sith are responsible for the problem of the Death Star and Anakin. And then the PT shows us how these circumstances came to pass. I think it is important to face the realities presented in the story, if we are to discuss it at all. What it was 5 episodes prior is not the same as it stands now.

No, but someone like Plagueis may be able to bend the will of the Force in his favor, or:
    Manipulate midichlorians to impose his will on the Force.
    Create a plague on the Force.
    Subdue the eternal.
    Sever the Force Ghosts from the Jedi.
    Raise a dead army.

In short, I would like to see what an immortal Sith could do to our new heroes. That would be a progression of what's been shown. I also want to see space battles, super weapons, armies clashing and colliding. That's certainly a big part of SW, too.

5. locketcoket

May 25, 2014
    That sounds interesting. I'd love to see an Immortal Sith as a villain. Maybe Episode7 could feature the rise of the Immortal Sith, then at the climax of 8 he is defeated by an ancient Sith device powered by the dark side which locks him up until someone turns the device off. The dark side force energy that Luke has to provide(maybe the new heroes don't have enough experience or something to do it) to defeats him becomes alluring and by the end of 8 Luke is a Dark Jedi/Sith. In 9 Luke is fully dark and frees Immortal Sith and the new heroes have to stop him in one movie.

Think About It

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    For me the prophecy is not an integral part of where the story of the ST will go and I don't think its something essential that I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. The prophecy was either fulfilled with Anakin becoming a Sith or by Anakin dying and killing the Emperor, so for me that side of the story is done. Or of course the prophecy could have been misread. But I would ask why is the prophecy so important to the ST? And theres a fair chance that there would always be imbalance at some point as force users die and immerge both for the Jedi and the Sith throughout the years.

In the OT it was never part of the story as the Jedi were all but extinct and their council, teachings and archives were not around like they were on Coruscant in the PT.

Also theres a 60?? (ish) year gap between Ep 3 and Ep 7, so with that in mind I don't think its safe to assume those themes explored in the PT will continue.

I think we should look at where we were in the OT as theres no guarantee that everything we saw in the PT will filter through to the ST. Although I will concede that theres a chance Plageuis may be mentioned if the rumours are true about Sith worshippers being in EP 7.

But if they want to reintroduce or explore further the prophecy story line then Luke will either have to be told about it by one of the force ghosts, or he will have to find some Jedi archives somewhere. Thats assuming he wants to carry on doing the same teaching and principles that the Jedi had in the PT. I actually like the idea that Luke could discover some Jedi archives hidden away on Coruscant or some other planet maybe.

TheFoot and Jcuk like this.
  7. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Yes, of course the PT was a very different time in Jedi history. But that does mean a Jedi's use of their light saber has to be different. The fighting and philosophy of the Jedi in the OT made the use of a light saber something of a last resort or reserved off a highly skilled opponent. In the PT light sabers come out at the drop of a dime. Their blatant overuse diminished their significance completely. For the Order to be at their peak powers and "in their prime" (even though they were totally inept bunglers) one would think that their use of this refined weapon Obi Wan had such fond memories of would have been a little but more discreet. Instead the sabers use was so common I'm surprised we didn't see one used to swat a fly or open a can of food.

TheFoot and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    The prophecy was unnecessary in the PT (other than a device to explain Ani'so birth and massive midi chlorian blood count). And it will be quite irrelevant for the ST.

TheFoot, vinsanity and AndyLGR like this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    That was the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Wasn't that something Obi Wan tried to do. You know talk his way out with Vader in episode 3

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

Luke is far more compassionate and powerful than Qui Gon. You forget how stern Qui Gon was. oh wait the apprentice books are non canon now.

12. locketcoket

May 25, 2014
    Qui-Gon was stern as a teacher. As a Jedi he was much more compassionate. "Despite Master Dooku's warnings, I can not turn away from helping others, even if it works against my destiny"( "The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force" )

Think About It

Circular Logic likes this.
  13. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but I was thinking what if Sidious (or another older Sith) actually wrote The Chosen One prophecy themselves (in secret) and managed to get it out there and believed to be true over time?

The idea being that it could eventually convince the Jedi to train someone (Anakin) who probably shouldn't be trained, just because there's a "prophecy" that says they will bring balance.

So actually the prophecy would be a lie and a fake, which really helped cause the downfall of the Jedi, by tricking them into training someone who was prone to the dark side. Maybe the ancient Sith who wrote it could return and reveal there never was a prophecy for one person to bring balance to the force? Just a thought.. maybe it would damage Anakin and Luke's story too much? I hope they do something unpredictable anyways.

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    So in essence what you're saying, is that Shmi was lying and Anakin DID have a father?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What has Abrams said about the prophecy elements?

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The balance doesn't affect their powers except for their ability to foresee future events and being able to sense the deceitful nature of Palpatine. The Force going out of balance also centers around the communal spirit of the universe, which is that everyone works together and when that is upset, then things go horribly wrong and evil wins.

So what are they supposed to do in battle? Stand there and use harsh language? The Lightsaber is the Jedi's weapon. Offensive and defensive. How else were they supposed to fight in the Clone Wars. With their fists?

Except that Luke uses it at every turn in TESB and ROTJ. I wouldn't call Jabba's goons and a Scout Trooper as a dangerous foe that's highly skilled. Obi-wan doesn't because he's trying to remain invisible, but he draws his Lightsaber when he senses danger. The usage in the PT is consistent with the OT. How else were they supposedly the guardians of peace and justice that fought in the Clone Wars? Note that Obi-wan never carries a blaster in ANH and Luke stops carrying one in ROTJ.

Except Qui-gon sensed the truth in her. Only a Sith can deceive a Jedi.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  17. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I doubt the ST will feature near as many Jedi as appeared in the PT, however, there should absolutely be more Jedi in the ST than there were in the OT. The idea that the PT was oversaturated with Jedi is completely overblown. I don't know about anyone else, but without Jedi, Sith, and the Force, Star Wars loses something and becomes just another lame Sci-Fi universe. Those elements are a huge (and granted not the only) part that makes Star Wars what it is. I, for one, can never get enough of these elements.

18. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Haha, I guess.. I dunno.. I was going to make a joke about someone spiking her jawa juice or something, but I guess I shouldn't :p

Really though, I suppose that the reason Shmi says Anakin didn't have a father doesn't necessarily have to be tied to the prophecy. Could also be possible that the prophecy wasn't a fake and it's just that the Sith re-wrote the original and hid it. btw, I'm not saying these are the best ideas lol, just putting that out there for discussion.

TheFoot and Jcuk like this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the Jedi order will combine elements of the blaster training and lightsaber training? Kinda similar to the gun-kata fight style from the underrated Equilibrium?

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I'd have preferred it if Anakin had actually had a father. But I'll not get into that..:)

21. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Star Wars is pretty straight forward and when a character says there was no father to his child, it's flat out that and nothing else.

22. locketcoket

May 25, 2014
    Frankly it is a "little" weird. The only virgin birth was Jesus' birth.

And has anyone heard the rumors of Jedi Hunters being the villians. And that they resurrect a powerful Sith. I think that would be an interesting way to bring Plagueis unto the ST(or an older Sith).

Think About It

Immortiss likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    suppodedly there are no jedi hunters. it was a farce:confused:

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Just my own opinion but please no mention of the daft 'Chosen One' nonsense in the ST please. A scene of a force ghost filling Luke in all the details of it would be a a massive mistake for the story for me. As far as I can discern, there is no need for it to be mentioned.

25. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah, that stupid 'Chosen One' confusion. Joseph Campbell be damned.