main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Wow, real fresh idea. Also plays into the idea that there will be flashbacks, in my opinion that is, atleast...

Jcuk likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The Jedi believed that the Sith were destroyed and thus they didn't think much of the prophecy. But after Qui-gon's encounter with the Priestesses, finding Anakin, learning about his birth and then the return of the Sith, he put it all together that the prophecy was true. The Chosen One was real and the prophecy was valid. Obi-wan doesn't put his spin on it. What Yoda and Mace question is if he is the Chosen One. But as we saw in ROTJ, it is Anakin who kills Palpatine and thus destroys the Sith. The Force goes back into balance.

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith Lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine, 2005.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Yes. If there is no Dark there can be no Light.

4. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Don't know if I agree, but I do hope we see Sith...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I definitely want the antagonists to be the Sith.

Jedi Merkurian , I know and Dra--- like this.
  6. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    I think having more Sith undermines the entire thematic element of Star Wars, making it nothing but an attempt to see more lightsabre fights. What is cool for action scenes is not necessary good for the story.

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Shouldn't judgments be reserved until after the movie has come out?

Jcuk, Miras-Etrin and Dra--- like this.
  8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Force will always win in the end. It's all determinism.

It's all about the Tree of Life. The one who can balance the Dark and the Light (within) and make the true moral choice in the face of evil and hopelessness (without).

Dra--- likes this.
  9. ray243

May 26, 2006
    It's not about how good or badly they execute the idea. If the idea ITSELF is bad, then we do not have to wait until the movie is out.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Can you explain, briefly, why? Is there no way in your mind to reconcile sequels. From a story structure view a ST would make a third act. Also, let's keep in mind that we are not privy to all the new information. There maybe a reason why the Sith are around. A reason for the lack of fulfillment you have in mind.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. ray243

May 26, 2006

That's if the 2nd act is still unresolved.

Immortiss likes this.
  12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    That's exactly my point. From a narrative perspective what might be unresolved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dra--- and ray243 like this.
  13. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    If the Sith were responsible for imbalance then presumably the Force was in Balance before they arrived on the scene? If so, then why could they not rise again? I think I'm missing something. Balance appears to be a fragile thing. If the Force is striving to be in Balance by creating the Chosen One, then what does it gain from being in Balance? What changed when the Sith were destroyed? I think this is the key to understanding the Awakening.

14. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    And yet your declaration of it being a bad idea our based off of multiple assumption. The sith can return without ruining the end of the OT. It is very much possible. Right now you assume it is a bad idea because you assume there is no way to reconcile a new Sith with the ending, and yet we have no definitive reason to believe the sith cannot come back.

Right now what would be a far worse mistake is to have Kylo Ren be a sith in all but name. That shows an even greater lack of creativity imo.

Dra--- and Jcuk like this.
  15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    But we still have no clue as to what exactly that 'idea' is yet.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And even for a while after they arrived on the scene, if we assume that not all Sith unbalance the Force.

I know likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The Force was still in balance during the last Sith war. It is during the years when Darth Bane's Sith Order began to grow strong leading to Darth Sidious and Darth Maul, that's when the problems began. What happened during the Clone Wars was different from before and based on many factors, mainly blurring the lines between good and evil. Balance is restored in ROTJ and as a result of other events, it has now been felt by all Force users.

Dra--- and I know like this.
  18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    starocean90 likes this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm, good question. I don't know why it was locked. I agree, I think this newer thread should have been merged into that very similar (and older) thread. Prepare for thread merge in 3, 2, 1...

Edit: Also updated the thread title to fully reflect the scope of the merged discussion.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  20. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    "He is the Chosen One; he will bring balance."

Have we heard the last of this prophecy? It gets complicated when we ponder Episode VII.

Whether or not this question been satisfactorily resolved to date, it seems likely that its specter will re-emerge in Episode VII, which appears poised to throw the balance off-kilter again.

"There has been an awakening ... the dark and the light." If they are presently in balance, I suppose this means that they are rising in equal measure.

But if Luke's actions in Episode VII unwittingly trigger the dawn of a new Dark Age, is he not then responsible for unbalancing the Force? Would this invalidate the theory that Luke was the Chosen One?

It is fairly unimpressive if A: the guy who brings balance is the same guy who tilted it in the first place (Anakin), or B: The guy who brings balance sets it off-balance again (Luke).

Has the book on this matter been officially closed? Or will the filmmakers try to incorporate it into unfolding events?

21. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    There_Are_Four_Lights

I don't think the Prophecy will be referred to again in the movies, at least not in a significant way as it will be the fallout from what Anakin/Vader did and it's impact on the GFFA that will important, not what Anakin was supposed to do.

At most, that a prophecy existed or a passing reference to the idea of prophecies and perhaps how they are unreliable.

It may be explored in other media related to the TFA like a novel after the movie with Luke training Rey or Finn in which Luke talks about his father or they discuss the nature of the Force - or a post-RotJ novel in Luke contemplates the results of his father's choices.

22. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    My greatest fear is that bringing back the Sith invalidates what Anakin's sacrifice and renders the fulfillment of the prophecy as meaningless. But unfortunately, I don't see another way.

This saga will require powerful antagonists. In the SW universe, it has to be the return of the Sith.

I hope they can find a way to make Anakin's contributions still mean something.

23. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    "He shall bring balance to the force"

I always believed that balance was never achieved due to Luke being the surviving for user come the end of ROTJ. I thought that Vader would have turned on Palpatine regardless if he had a son or not and would kill himself. Leaving force user's extinct.

24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

This is why I doubt that the Dark Siders in the Sequels will be Sith - being a powerful Force user does not mean you have to be a Jedi or a Sith.

In fact, TCW has opened up other supernatural forces in the GFFA like magic.

As many people point out, the OT doesn't even use the term Sith - it is Dark Side that is the more widely known evil element of the Saga.

The only reason Vader turned on Palpatine was to save Luke - that was the entire point of the confrontation on the second Death Star.

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Of the exact prophecy aspect? More than likely. Of balance likely not. That is Anakin's story and his story is done save for whatever appearances he makes in the ST. He never really believed in it anyway and at the end the Jedi certainly didn't. It's not like he saved Luke because he thought "Oh I am the Chosen One so I better do this now or never."

We never really knew what "balance" was in the first place. Was it in balance at TPM or was it off balance already? Just because it was put in balance does that mean that it has to stay that way?

Anakin may have saved it from being completely destroyed for all time for all we know. That doesn't mean it can't go out of balance to one side or the other. The bigger problem may not have been it going off balance but going into an eternal tailspin.

Could be but a scale can tip one way or the other and see-saw back and forth. As above what might have really happened is that the center was going to fall out of the scales. Anakin saved the scale.

No, because what is the balance that was achieved? If they do go into this then that is the question that can be answered though I doubt they will do it in an outright fashion anymore than the Chosen One was done.

Anything is open and with the way they events of the books and comics are unfolding to terms of tying things together I think balance in some form will be explored but in a rather vague way in the movies that will be further explored in other mediums.

If it is Darth Plagueis in TFA then certainly things will have to be brought up.

The most clearly obvious thing is just like the PT opened up the story of the OT then in kind the ST should open up background on the PT and in turn the OT. The best way to do that would be to go into Anakin and therefore the Skywalker lines origins. As far as the movies are concerned we don't know how Anakin's birth came about.

In ROTS Lucas played with the idea of Sidious revealing himself to be Anakin's father:

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/grandfatherskywalker.html

When Lucas had to finally craft Anakin's turn to the dark side, he used the ambiguity of Anakin's origins to good effect. The plot point of Anakin having a surprise father appears in Revenge of the Sith 's rough draft--and here, Palpatine comes right out and says he is Anakin's father during the "turn" scene.

DARTH SIDIOUS
    I have waited all these years for you to fulfill your destiny [...] I arranged for your conception. I used the power of the force to will the midichlorians to start the cell divisions that created you.
    ANAKIN
    I don't believe you.
    DARTH SIDIOUS
    Ahhh, but you know it's true. When you clear your mind, you will sense the truth. You could almost think of me as your father.
    ANAKIN
    That's impossible!
    DARTH SIDIOUS
    Nevertheless, you must decide...

However, even though Palpatine says he is effectively Anakin's father, the context of the scene--manipulating Anakin into joining him--is sufficiently suspicious. The claim can easily be argued as being a mere ploy to reel Anakin in as he sees him weakening (one which works, as it happens). Nonetheless, as it occurs in the script it is implied to be taken on face value.

So revealing the circumstance of Anakin's birth is a key story point that the ST should address.