main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Balance of the Force, not balance of the Force-users.

Probably not.

Neither of those would be accurate. Anakin wasn't the one who unbalanced the Force in the first place, and Luke wasn't the Chosen One.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Balance does not necessarily mean things are equal - and that quote from the teaser may be how it appears in the actual film as "... the Datk Side and the Light.." could be a different scence.

Considering how Lucas didn't concern with himself exploring the balance of the Force in either the Prequels or TCW, where it actually mattered, I doubt that the issue will be raised again Sequels.

Abrams also has a history of not concerning himself with resolving ALL outstanding questions - for example, the origin of the Super 8 monster, LOST (it wasn't all Abrams like people believe but he was heavily involved), etc.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I think the prophecy as a concept died with the Jedi order.

4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Abrams will ignore the prophecy for this film.

propeller likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think a lot of people misunderstand the imbalance as caused by the mere existence of Sith. Sith existing doesn't cause an imbalance towards the dark side just as Jedi existing doesn't cause an imbalance towards the light. I think even the Jedi misunderstand it and Yoda says as much. They also seem to think that the Sith as a whole must be destroyed for balance to be restored but as often they do in the PT they miss the bigger picture. It's Palpatine and his master that caused the imbalanced. Through unnatural rituals they literally tipped the scales in the dark sides favor. So by the time the PT starts the dark side has become so overwhelming that the Jedi are beginning to feel their powers diminishing. Anakin lifts this shroud of darkness by killing Palpatine and now the Sith and Jedi are on an equal footing. Light and dark are balanced.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

7. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    If they ignore the prophecy of the Chosen One then I will be furious as it would be a middle finger to Lucas. If they ignore it I'm out.

8. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

Well, he never really explored it, so how would that give him the finger? What IS balance, anyway? He never answered that question, and it is a question that SHOULD have been answered.

9. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I seriously doubt we'll ever hear the prophecy mentioned on screen again. There is a deliberate move on Disney's part to move away from the Prequels. I'd be surprised if they outright contradicted them as some seem to think, but they'll be in no hurry to explore those themes and characters again, at least in this first 'phase' of SW films ( Eps7 to 9, and the first 3 spin offs ).

10. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015

:rolleyes: Watch the movies and the Chosen One featurette on Episode 3 DVD Disc 2 from 2005 or watch it on YouTube if you don't know and Yes it was answered .( although vaguely )

Andy Wylde and nightangel like this.
  11. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

Gee, I should have thought of that! Watch Star Wars movies... I will get right on that.

If it wasn't dealt with in the movies-that which actually ended up onscreen!- it wasn't dealt with: no featurettes, no interviews, no jeez I shoulda covered this, no vagueness.

12. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    Damn , if you PAID attention you should know it from the films themselves .

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

*ahem* "although vaguely"

This whole issue is one of the reasons why I do not have much respect for the PT. If the blanks have to be filled in through outside media, the job didn't get done.

14. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    I said that it's explained very well in the movies . If you still don't understand it you should look into it more .

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If they were really avoiding the prequels, we wouldn't see half the the things that you expect to see in Eps 7 to 9. Not everything from the prequels was hated.

16. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    It would be cool if Hayden came back. Isnt ep 8 supposed to be from the prequel writer?

17. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, some of the elements may be brought forward into the ST, such as the depiction of the Sith ( Kylo igniting his saber in the trailer is undoubtedly a 'Darth Maul moment' ), and also perhaps, the pace of the movies, but I do doubt that we'll get any call backs to plotlines, or characters from the Prequel era, at least in this first 'stage'.
    I don't think it's any coincidence that the vast majority of the new SW material developed since Disney took over has been OT focused. The marketing and merchandising campaigns this year also have a huge OT focus.
    They want the wider audience, many of whom were not engaged by the PT, to know that we're getting a sequel to ROTJ, not ROTS.
    This attitude may change, assuming that the new movies are a big success, and they get more confident with the franchise and the SW brand, but I think we're going to have to accept that for the moment, the PT is very much on the backburner.

18. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    o_O The Prequel Trilogy has more fans than dislikers . ( look at the money made from them and the TCW series )

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That might be true, but my point was that avoiding things from the prequels is a dangerous precedent. The prophecy isn't mentioned in the OT, but neither is the word "Sith" (even if it was in the novelizations), double lightsabers, and "Darth" being a title.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  20. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    Amongst hardcore Star Wars fans you may be right, and for the record, I'm not a PT hater ( I have issues with them, but I also enjoy them in the main, I just don't love them as I do the OT ), but amongst a wider audience? Not really.
    Amongst the wider movie audience, and even amongst genre fandom, there just isn't the love for the stories and concepts of the PT , whereas the OT is still held in the highest regard. It just comes down to good business sense on Disney's part to concentrate on OT themes and not refer back to the PT.

21. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    I didn't want to undermine your opinion in the previous post BTW.
    But the fact how much money has been made proves that average moviegoer Joe likes these movies .Bashers ( don't mean you and others that present their opinions maturely ) are louder and some insult the defenders of those movies and give them death threats so that many people don't want to struggle with these immature persons .
    The fact that Disney first hired Gary Whitta and then Chris Weitz is really setting me off as they should respect Lucas and look onto the Saga as a whole .

Andy Wylde and Mungo Baobab like this.
  22. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Seeing as how Ahsoka is in Rebels, and there are PT era characters in comics, and Filoni has said that there is more news about TCW coming, I'd say this statement isn't correct at all. The main Saga will move away from the PT simply because time moves forward. But the PT era isn't done yet. We'll see more in the way of books, comics, and possibly Spin-Off films. Disney wont want to alienate any of their fans, and there's an entire generation that grew up with, and love, the PT era. We haven't seen the last of it.

23. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

Totally, and they should. But these movies are not an organic growth from the PT, but from the OT, so it will make sense that it has more in common with those. It's just kind of... would odd be the right term? ...because of the order these 6 were made in.

24. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Agreed. And any films that come out after the ST will be an organic growth from the ST and move farther away from the OT. It's the way of things.

25. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    Yes, I take your point that some of the ancillary media have featured PT era characters, and I fully expect and hope that once Disney see the success of the first batch of movies, they'll become more confident and start to explore the PT era on film.
    Perhaps I was too broad in my original statement, but I firmly believe that we won't see any overt PT references or callbacks in these first 6 films, and specifically the Chosen One plotline. It's just too closely linked to a particular type of storytelling that charaterises the PT, rather than the OT.