main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Chosen One: Was Overconfidence Really Palpy's Weakness?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ty-gon Jinn, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Last weekend, I watched all five Star Wars movies, and a new theory popped up in my head. I guess it's really not that important, but I wanted to see what y'all thought of it.

We've all seen the threads asking whether Anakin really was the Chosen One, as Qui-gon believed, or if it was Luke who brought balance to the Force by redeeming Vader. I'm beginning to believe that maybe overconfidence was not really Palpatine's weakness, but rather, his downfall was in second-guessing himself. I have also seen threads about Sidious and the Rule of Two, and about the decision to make Luke and Vader facing off against each other in the hopes that Luke would either fall or be destroyed. However, if one thinks about it, this gives one the impression that Palpatine is beginning to think that not only is Luke a great danger, but that he could be a greater Sith Lord than his father, and letting the two duke it out would settle who was stronger.

Maybe Palpatine began to believe that he was wrong, and Luke might be the Chosen One?

Indeed, his highness failed.

2. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Well I would think age is a factor as well.

Palpatine is just evil. I am sure he was relishing in the irony of Luke killing Vader (father killing son). Not only is that manipulation in itself, and Palps was loving it as you can see, but he would be replacing an older apprentice with a more youthful one.

Another thought is that Palpatine always knew (and we may know more in EpIII) that Vader is powerful enough to kill him. But if Vader had a weakspot for his son, he may not be able to bring himself to strike Luke down and Luke would kill Vader. Thus, Palpatine relieves himself of the danger in Vader, and gets a more youthful Sith apprentice.

In general though, yes, Palpatines overconfidence was his weakness.

But if you ask me, if Anakin really wanted to kill Palpatine, I am sure he would have at any time Anakin wished. He IS the chosen one, and is powerful enough to do so.

3. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,I think Palpatine's over confidence was his weakness.He should have known by then that soemone would want to overthrow him,like Vader.It seemed like he senced that in ESB,but by the time of ROTJ it seems like he thought that nobody could touch him.I think he got overly confident that he was the strongest person in the Galaxy,and could get rid of Vader if he wanted,I don't think he expected Vader to turn on him and throw him down the reactor shaft. :)

4. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Good break down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.