main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Chosen One: Who exactly is the subject of the prophecy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by inkswamp, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forcefan68

forcefan68 Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2005
    Thoughts that help me conclude who is the subject of the prophecy:

I think the balance that needed to be brought to the Force was not simply Jedi vs. Sith numerical bookkeeping or even a philosophical middle ground between the two orders, although they form one of the most visible components of the balancing act. Instead I think the underlying imbalance was to the Force itself.

As I've posted elsewhere, of late I have really thought about the Force as an active agent in the universe. We hear how the Jedi let the Force flow through them to guide their actions, and how the Jedi (especially Qui-Gon) attempt to listen to the will of the force. Of the Dark Side, numerous comments throughout the saga exist about how it can consume and dominate one's destiny. The imbalance has arisen because of the growing strength of the Dark Side, which IMO has occurred through the growing strife, greed, ambition, and general unrest in the galaxy coupled with a powerful agent in Sidious. Yoda speaks of the Dark Side clouding everything and the shroud of the Dark Side falling, not specifically the Sith.

So bringing balance means reducing (it can never be eliminated) the influence, reach and power of the Dark Side. Did that require the fall of the Jedi Order? Maybe, maybe not. Did it require Anakin be reduced in power when he became "more machine, than man"? I think partially, yes, lest he become an irrevocable "agent of evil". Does it require the destruction of the one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the form of Palpatine? Definitely, because he serves almost as a frame on which the shroud of the Dark Side hangs. And with his fall, came a toppling of the corrupt Empire built upon the crumbling Old Republic. This further weakened the influence of the Dark Side.

Another interesting idea based on one of the earlier posts about the ambiguous nature of Anakin's birth:

I think you could argue that Anakin's birth could be both an attempt by the Sith to create the most powerful Sith agent and the will of the Force. Perhaps sensing the Sith attempt to create Anakin, the Force viewed this as a method to achieve balance or maybe just needed to prevent an "inherently evil being". As Lucas pointed out, these are left open to interpretation.

Regardless, Anakin certainly has the greatest force potential of any Sith/Jedi through his midichlorian count, but is also probably the most conflicted between (infused with?) the Light and Dark Sides. He too is thrown out of balance at the same time as the galaxy. And as his turmoil is brought to an end in ROTJ, so is the turmoil in the galaxy. Balance is achieved.

It is this resolution of the conflict between the two sides of the Force (not purely Jedi vs. Sith) both within Anakin and throughout the galaxy, that I think demonstrates Anakin as the subject of the prophecy.

I know it took a while to come to the subject of the thread, so thanks for bearing with me.

2. DarthBud

DarthBud Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2003
    Anakin.
    He brought the Force into balance, 2 Jedi= 2 Sith.
    Later he destroyed the Sith, by returning to the Light and destroying Sidious.

3. Psycho_Handmaiden

Psycho_Handmaiden Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    I think we're looking at this from too broad of an angle.
    Most of the Anakin arguments are either numerical, based on direct quotes from Lucas, or based on the fact Anakin was the one to kill Palpatine. While good points, they are just too often repeated.

Personally, I don't think the True chosen one has arrived....and even if so, it's Luke.

Somemone mentioned that the idea of Palpatine creating Anakin was a "Red Herring". I'm not so sure of that. Palpatine had hinted at Anakin's creation saying that Plaguis learned how to create life. In the novel, it states that Plaguis was Palpatine's master and that he had taught Palpatine everything that he knew. What if Palpatine created Anakin to go along with the prophecy? That Anakin was created for the sole purpose of leading the Jedi to beleive He was the chosen one? To have been created by the dark side, Anakin would HAVE to be conceived by midichlorians. That may have been the reason his count was so high. That birth alone could cause the Force to become out of balance.

Luke brought balance to the Force not because of who his father was or how many jedi or whatnot there were. He brought balance to the Force by bringing it to himself. You will notice through the OT how much Luke grows up. He went from the whiney farmer kid to what may have been the Galaxy's only hope. As he grew, he found balance between his feelings for his friends, his cause, his father, and the jedi teachings. Who is to say that this balance can't have been brought to only one person?

4. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Balance does NOT mean an equal amount of Sith and Jedi.

It means the destruction of the Sith. The Sith brings disgarmony=unbalance to the Force.

5. jedi_prime

jedi_prime Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    Well, it seems my thread has been redirected to here...

I personally do think that Anakin was the Chosen One of prophesy, as GL more or less said so. I don't much like it, but it is his creation and we are stuck with it.

Here is my own theory on the matter:

The Son of the Sun vs. The Chosen One: Were they one and the same?

OK, we are all familiar with the excerpt from the Journal of the Whills, which is given below...

"The second and third draft of the script for Star Wars began with the following quote: "And in time of greatest despair there shall come a savior and he shall be known as: THE SON OF THE SUN" ("Journal of the Whills," 3:12)"

- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays

So, is the Son of the Sun also the Chosen One?

I don't believe so, and here is why:

The quote from the Journal refers to a "time of greatest despair," which would seem to indicate the reign of the Empire.

Secondly, my gut feeling is that the prophecy of the Chosen One originated from within the Jedi Order, rather than the Journal of the Whills.

Third, Lucas was using the Journal quote while working on what we now call Episode IV.

Fourth, Lucas has stated that the entire SW saga was related to the Whills by R2-D2 some one hundred years after the Battle of Endor.

I think that Anakin was the Chosen One of the prophesy and Luke was the Son of the Sun referred to in the Journal of the Whills.

I would love to hear feedback on this...

Edit: To the mods: my topic is actually tied into the movies, as the Son of the Sun is mentioned in both TPM and RotJ. In TPM someone shouts it during the victory parade on Naboo and in RotJ the newly-added Coruscant celebration scene (at the end) contains someone else shouting it. So, yeah...technically it is a movie issue. Also, since GL was the one to come up with both the Journal of the Whills and the Chosen One, I would call that a movie issue as well...or at least G level canon.

6. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    "Anakin is the Chosen One." - George Lucas

Nuff said.

7. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    I agree - my feeling is that the Son of the Suns refers to Luke, and the Chosen One refers to Anakin. My major reason for believing this is the reference to the "time of greatest despair" you mentioned. When Anakin was a Jedi, that wasn't a time of "greatest despair." When Luke showed up, he was "their only hope" (except for Leia). This is why I believe Luke to be the Son of the Suns, not Anakin.

8. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Where is that qoute from?

9. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    It's from the Chosen One featurette on the ROTS DVD.

10. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.