The Chosen One

Discussion in 'Literature' started by asimon2005, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    You're kidding right?

A prophesied Jedi Chosen One shares themes in common with a Chosen One idea common to the three Abrahamic religions, and one that recurs in other religions as well. It's not deliberate or obvious?

Monomyth, son, monomyth.
  2. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Lucas has also mentioned the connection to Greek/Roman mythology and its examples of children fathered by gods in order to show that it's not a simple reference to, say, Jesus.
  3. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    ^Indeed... although those myths actually involve sex and fathers. Like Hercules and Zeus taking the form of a bull...
  4. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That sounds about right.

True, and I'm not saying it would necessarily be a long relationship. However, as far as the EU goes, I could see Pi-Lippa allowing her to have a relationship with someone.

That seems to contradict the films' characterization of Watto.

Lucas has stated that part of his reason for creating Star Wars was to awaken a sense of spirituality in the generation of the 70s.
  5. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    I think what I find more interesting personally, is if Anakin WAS conceived by the force, why has the force not shown it's will tangibly before or since. I mean can the force do other things? Can it create more people? Should it? Or is the line of Skywalker a continuation of its will?
  6. Master_Jedi_LS Jedi Master

star 1
    I would say the Skywalker line is a continuation of the will of the Force. Also maybe it isn't just Anakin that is the Chosen One but rather the whole skywalker line.
  7. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Well then if they are the continuation does that in turn mean that it is the Skywalker's destiny to continue to bring balance to the force? It's all very complex.
  8. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It may just have to be chalked up to the Force working in mysterious ways. :p

As an aside, the conception of Anakin isn't more tangible than what the Force usually does. The Force often guides beings to action and that's all that it did with the midis.
  9. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    I meant tangible in terms of being the living embodyment of the force. Which in many ways Anakin is. Actions are intangible but a person is tangible. Without going too deep anyway.
  10. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Except Anakin's not the embodiment of the Force. He's not an avatar, the Force merely gave him a special destiny and more midis.
  11. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    But if we are taking it that anakin WAs created by the force (thats the assumption i'm making) then the force chose his looks, abailities, etc. Everything that is predetermined rathen than that which is learned. I would argue that THAT makes him the force's living being capable of bringing balance. The force's tangible hammer
  12. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The Force moving the midis to conceive Anakin doesn't mean the Force chose his appearance or his personality.
  13. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Well who did then? His mum didnt have sex with anyone to create him therefore it has no genetics to be based upon. I take it to mean that Anakin was created by the Force shoving a baby into Shmi. If the force put a life inside her woomb then it created him entirely. That's my view. You may not agree but there is no evidence to counter it.
  14. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sure there is. Canon doesn't say exactly what the midis did to create him beyond his conception. It's likely that they created 50% of his genetics, but the other 50 would come from Shmi.
  15. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Have a quick look what conception means in the dicitonary and you will find that if the force conceived Anakin, they created him entirely. Otherwise (without trying to be graphic) you are suggesting that the force was the sperm and it fertilsed Shmi.
  16. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That is essentially what I'm suggesting.
  17. younghansolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Well qui-gon said he "may have been conceived by the midis"

NOT

"Anakin could have been conceived by the midis and shmi"

In that context Anakin was created solely by the force. it solely conceived him. There would be no genetics from shmi
  18. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Or, Qui-Gon could have been highlighting the aspect of his conception which was remarkable. Anakin's mother being his mother wasn't really relevant to the Council.
  19. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Parthenogensis, when used scientifically, refers to a form a asexual reproduction that has nothing to do with virginity, so please stop saying it does.

Your continued insistence that a virgin birth = parthenogensis is incorrect and annoying. Parthenogensis can occur to members of species which are not virgins, meaning the two are not the same no matter what the root word means in greek.

When referenced in a scientific paper, lecture, or discussion the term refers to asexual reproduction and makes no claim to virginity.

Not to mention that using this term for Anakin's conception is inaccurate as it would mandate Anakin being a female since XY chromosomes determine the sex of a human baby.
  20. KnightDawg Jedi Master

star 4
    This is getting way too deep. Creating Anakin is pretty simple. I've already created 5 in my basement.

Seriously, everyone needs to stop looking too deep into this. Jedi Merkurian already posted the best reply on the first page.

21. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Saying that the Force acted as magic sperm is getting too deep?
  22. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Glad to know that the Force evidently has Aryan DNA. :p
  23. DarthUr Jedi Master

star 4
    *sigh* And English words can have different meanings in different contexts whatever the dictionary definition of a word is in isolation, especially when what we're doing is borrowing a term used to describe a specific literary or mythological or hypothetical example to describe a general situation.

Or do you think that, say, a "twin paradox" has to involve an actual pair of identical twins or it doesn't count? Or a "chimera" has to actually be made of a lion, serpent and goat or it doesn't count? Can I not describe something as a "Schroedinger's cat" if there isn't a cat, or even if there is a cat but it wasn't owned by or put in the box by renowned physicist Erwin Schroedinger? A "Turing machine" can't be a Turing machine if it's not literally a machine but just an abstract set of symbols?

Nor did I claim that Shmi Skywalker would have to be a virgin for her to have a "virgin birth". The "virgin" in "virgin birth" doesn't *literally* mean the mother is a virgin.

Your continued insistence that "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT MEANS IN GREEK!", as though the people who came up with the Greek term just picked it randomly out of a Greek dictionary for no reason, is as amusing as it is annoying.

Shmi's birth of Anakin is clearly not a realistic, real-life example of human parthenogenesis. Because there is no realistic, real-life example of human parthenogenesis because real-life human parthenogenesis is impossible. So what? She still gives birth spontaneously as opposed to as the result of having had sex -- therefore, it's a virgin birth. The "virgin" in the term "virgin birth" just describes the birth, not the mother's entire sexual history -- that's how we *actually use the term*, whether you think it's "wrong" or not.
  24. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Watto was a greedy slave owner in the films.

Lucas has given many resons at many different times for creating Star Wars. He never said that he created it explicitly to retell the story of Jesus.
  25. DarthUr Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally I like the fanon theory, before it was confirmed that Anakin/Padme was going to be canon, that Anakin mystically conceived Luke through the Force without the use of a mother.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.