Saga The Chosen Post: The Prophecy's Importance, Palpatine's Plan To Escape It, & Why Mace Lost the Duel

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth ladnar, Apr 8, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    "Greed, for a lack of a better word, is good" ~ Darth Gordon Gecko
  2. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    The root of the problem seems to be an inability to accept the fact that some things are beyond control. Is that greed? Possibly it is.
    TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  3. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4

Or fear . . . which is something that Anakin, the Jedi and Padme all suffered from in the PT. The same could be said of Luke in both ESB and ROTJ.

The so-called "Dark Side" is nothing more that evil. Regardless of whether that person is a Force user or not, he or she would be embracing evil with an act of murder out of hate.
    Last edited by DRush76, Feb 11, 2014
  4. darth ladnar Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It seems to me that the motivations for Anakin's fall are very similar to what tempts Luke to accept the dark side. Luke is drawn away from his training in TESB because of his attachment for his friends, and Luke is persuaded to attempt to strike down Palpatine in cold blood and to fight Vader with ferocity because of his attachment to his friends/sister.

I also interpret things differently than some posting on this thread. I see Anakin's fall to be very gradual. It begins with his attachment to his mother (which is apparent in TPM), an attachment that he never fully learned how to control. It escalates to a much higher level with her death and his slaughter of the sand people tribe. Moving further towards the dark side, he recognizes that his killing of Dooku is the not the Jedi way, and his motive for doing so is traced back to his slaughter of the sand people. Palpatine's insinuations that the Jedi are corrupt encourage him to lose faith in the Jedi ways to some degree. He becomes intensely fearful of losing Padme, and Yoda's advice doesn't set his mind at ease. The opera scene shows that Anakin is intrigued to learn the way to save Padme from death, even if it involves an unnatural dark side power. Before Mace confronts Palpatine, Anakin's temptation to learn this unnatural power and his hope to become the most powerful force-user ever have already led him to admit to Padme that "Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more, and I know I shouldn't." He's still aligned with the Jedi enough to turn Palpatine in, but his fear of losing Padme is so great that it convinces him that he must go to save Palpatine from Mace. Once he swears allegiance to Palpatine, he still seems to be troubled by his choice to become a Sith, and he doesn't have the characteristic Sith red/yellow eyes yet. It is only after he kills his Jedi comrades and the younglings (made easier by his slaughter of the sand people) that he develops Sith eyes, but even then, it's clear he shows some regret as we see a tear roll down his face (showing that he has not totally lost connection with the light side). It is only when he seems to have flipped his lid when speaking to Padme on Mustaphar that he seems consumed with the dark side, but even then, I'm not sure he's fully there (though a good argument could be made that he's fully embraced the dark side here; he seems to have totally lost it). To me, it seems that only after Anakin believes Padme has betrayed him, Obi-wan has destroyed most of his body, he learns of Padme's death, and all his ties to the past have been cut that Anakin fully embraces his new identity as Vader. So, to me, his transformation from Jedi to Sith is very gradual and believable.
  5. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    I'm not a big EU guy, but I really enjoyed the portrayal of the dark side users' desire for power in the Darth Bane series. I got the impression that the belief was that if you could control everything, including ultimately life and death themselves, that you would no longer have anything to fear. I think this state of mind is beyond garden variety fear, because fear is normal and necessary in its place. If the fear is strong and all-consuming enough, however, it can ultimately lead to the dark side / Sith mindset. That's how I read it anyway.
    Last edited by MOC Yak Face, Feb 12, 2014
    Iron_lord and darth ladnar like this.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn