main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Chronicles of Narnia\C.S. Lewis

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by PetraKenobi, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I have listened to all of the Narnia books, and I love them all.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, The Horse and his Boy and The Last Battle are my favorites.

Favorite Characters:

1. Aslan
    2. Lucy
    3. Peter
    4. Edmond
    5. Prince Caspian
    6. Jill
    7. Eustus
    7. Jadis
    8. Shift
    9. Puzzle
    10. Puddleglum

I do not like Susan in the books, especially after she no longer became a friend to Narnia, because of her unbelief in Narnia.
    Jadis is by far the best of all the villains.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I wouldn't say that the Chronicles of Narnia have a main villain. Jadis only appears in two of the books (as previously mentioned), although there is a similar witch (who is not the same character as Jadis) in The Silver Chair.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    King Miraz made a decent villain too. I hope the movie portrays him well.

4. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I didn't like the witch in the Silver Chair. In my opinion, she was nothing compared to Jadis.

5. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    The one in The Silver Chair never got the backstory Jadis did, nor was she as successful. She worked well enough as a different kind of threat, though.

6. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    I love the Chronicles!

My favorite is The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, though that could just be because it is the first i ever saw/read.
    I have read the whole series and am ecstatic that they are remaking the movies. I have th BBC versions, which were very accurate...but not very good acting and cheesy special effects(however, it was my favorite movie as a kid. I'd rent it every time we went to blockbuster, lol). Though I revere them as classics, I hope they are all redone in such spectacular manner as TLTWATW.

My favorite characters are Aslan, Mr. Tumnus, Lucy, Peter...though the fact that all those are from TLTWATW and that I can barely remember the characters from the other books makes me think I ought to reread the series...

And Lewis' other books are definitely on my to-read list.

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

7. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    All the Narnia books are great. I think my favorite is "The Horse and His Boy". I've also read the first two books of the space trillogy but left of near the beginning of the third one. I should probably go back and finish it.

His theological works are also really great. I really enjoyed "The Screwtape Letters" and "The Four Loves."

I'm currently studying Japanese and kind of at a sticking point of weather I can do things like read books and do presentations, so I thought I would challenge myself and dictionary my way through some novels. The Narnia books just came out over here, so I picked up "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe." I'm really excited to try and get through it. Interestingly, title was just translated to "Lion and Witch."

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I just started reading the books yesterday after work and I am about halfway through The Magician's Nephew. SO far I must admit I really am liking it. I am almost 28 yrs old and last night when I started reading about Polly and Digory the begining seemed very childlike and I almost put it down. I am glad I didn't. THe city of Charn was so greatly written I have been drawn in this story.

P.S. I am reading the books in his prefered order not publication order.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Charn was absolutely fascinating, but I've always found it chilling and a tad bit creepy (which is great :D ). Lewis had a fantastic imagination, I think. :)

10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Charn was a great setpiece in the book. I hope the movie can do it justice.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I am on The Horse and His Boy now and I am a bit confused. Why is there humans there? I know that country isn't Narnia but I was assuming that the World was all animals?

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    No, there were humans there. Until the White Witch was defeated, they probably couldn't enter Narnia due to her enchantment or something.

13. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Although TLTWATW will always be my favourite, The Magician's Nephew is a close second. Something about it just captured my imagination with Charn, the wood between worlds and the magician's study.

14. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I have a big problem whenever i read a book and later it's made into a movie i always compare them so I was wondering if i should go ahead and spoil myself by reading all of the narnia books or waiting until i watch the movies and then read the books? For those of you who have read the books and then saw the movies did you prefer the books instead or were the movies just as good?

15. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    I always like reading the books first, because its easier to enjoy a movie when you know its not accurate than to read a book and be like, "What? that's not how they did it in the movie!" In my opinion, anyway. But, if it helps any, both TLTWATW and Prince Caspian have been very accurate for movies. Although it's been a while since i read the books...so I might be wrong...

The point is: I have read the books, and I still thoroughly enjoyed the movies. In fact, I think I liked them better because I had the book to realize the basis for all the symbolism.

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

16. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    thank you very much, i'll go and read the books.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocked.

18. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So I have to admit that I've only read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and The Magicians Nephew. I've also seen both the movies and the BBC movie of TLTWATW years ago, I think I know that story quite well.:p

I have to say that I'm a bit hesitant to read the books again because of my stance on religion, but I'm confident that I'd like them all the same, so I'll get around to reading (or re-reading) them eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.