main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Chronicles of Narnia music . . . will we love it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I just saw a few trailers of it and they all this main theme it better be in the movie! It was amazing!

2. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    The Chronicles of Narnia music . . . will we love it?

You can see for yourself.... soundtrack.net has a first listen here.

3. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    First impression: Has nice enough themes, but doesn't sound BIG enough. And this score really shouldn't have a single electronic sound on it. I'll have to wait and see the film before I can render a valid opinion -- I was fairly nonplussed by "Battle of the Heroes" until I saw it in its context, and now it sounds like genius.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd guess that there certainly will be big moments, but we only get short clips from some relatively long cues. Listen to HG-W's Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas. The man knows how to get LOUD. Sometimes a little too loud, perhaps.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with what we've heard so far. It probably won't be a Top 10 score, but I bet I'll like it quite a bit.

5. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I like what I'm hearing. As Mastadge said it's hard to really get a firm idea of what the final score will sound like based off 30 second clips, but I'm pretty confident that Gregson-Williams will deliver.

While I'm not the biggest fan of electronics, I didn't mind the electric violin. It has an interesting quality to its sound - somewhat otherworldly. When I first heard it, I was reminded of Gregson-Williams' Veronica Guerin as the electric violin is fairly prominent in that score. It's also featured several times in Kingdom of Heaven. It works quite well in both those films and I'm sure it will in this one too.

These clips have really got me interested, and I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

6. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Hmmm... I don't know. I really liked "To Aslan's Camp,' but it kept feeling as if the theme was building to somewhere it never quite arrived at...

"Only the Begining of the Adventure" was great (after the first strings section, when the theme kicks in, I got serious "National Treasure" vibes...) "Narnian Lullabye" seemed pretty good as well.

However, the electronic and/or contemporary sound, as others have mentioned, on certain tracks like Evacuating London and to a lesser extent, The Battle, bugged me. Still, I suppose we'll have to wait and see them in context, and in more than 30 seconds at a time... but my gut instinct is: If we don't love it, we'll at least have a very strong crush on it. ;)

7. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Well, soundtrack.net has posted their review of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, giving it 5 starts. I'm sure that many of you know a perfect rating from soundtrack.net is indeed a rare thing; can't wait to get the cd on the 13th!

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    They also gave Kingdom of Heaven five, and it went on to get mixed reviews. Still: good start.

9. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    On that note though, I completley agree with their rating for Kingdom of Heaven; I never really bought many of the criticisms leveled at it by others. It's absolutley one of my favorite soundtracks to come out this year.

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Wouldn't it make sense though that the scenes in the "real world" would have a real world/contemporary style to them, and the ones within the wardrobe would have the fantasy non-contemporary music?

EDIT: Yikes! Evacuating London is awful. It sounds like something out of an "artistic" car commercial.

EDIT2: Eeek! Alanis Morisette's voice will be in the film? What?

11. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    I don't know how many here have seen the 9-minute (and rather spoilerish)'Super-Trailer,' but assuming that this is indeed Narnia original music, especially the ending section, then I think that we should have nothing to worry about. =D=

I agree that at the moment, I'm not loving the Evacuating London cue... but I'm loving everything else!

(100th post... I think!;) )

12. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Only the first half of that is from the film's score; the second hal is from Children Of Dune.

ttbk

13. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    First half of which?

14. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    No, seriously... don't leave me hanging like that! Which section is from Children of Dune?

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The Children of Dune music kicks in at 5:45 and lasts until 8:32.

16. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Gotcha. Thanks!

17. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I knew I had heard that music before! I just couldn't place it. I must say, it works very well in that trailer.

18. DarthTaragon

DarthTaragon Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2005
    Hello, My first post YAY!

Anywho I just finished dling and lisened to the first half of the ost,Its actually quite an enjoyable listening experience. The Battle is very good.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well the music was as underwhelming a score as I've heard in a long time. NOTHING stood out in theatres. Indeed several times the music was bad enough to distract me. "Bjork? Enya? Who the hell is that voice? It's terrible!" The whole score was a big MEH. But then so was the film. It was okay but wow. Not gonna light up the world this one. I certainly hope the books get better, if not.... CS Lewis may turn out to be overrated in my book.

20. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Hye, if you've got a problem with Narnia... blame the director, not the author. CS Lewis was one of the greatest authors of our time!

Anyway, tomorrow will tell all, here in Washington...

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    No actually my problem was with the story. Silly unimaginative predictable and childish.

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    The books are children's books. I and most of my friends read them in the 5th and 6th grades. Not that it means the books have to be predictable, but they aren't going to be as complex as Lord of the Rings.

Of course, I'll have to wait until I see the film to render a real verdict.

23. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I've only heard the score apart from the film and I enjoy it for the most part. It's nothing incredible, but there is a quiet beauty to many of the tracks such as Evacuating London, The Wardrobe, Lucy Meets Mr. Tumnus, and From Western Woods to Beaversdam.

Thematically it's not very rich, although I don't think that's a detriment in a score necessarily. The themes that are there are good enough but don't make a big impression, which is surprising considering how thematically developed Gregson-Williams' Sinbad score was.

Overall, it's a good background listen.

24. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Well, fresh back from the film (which I would nominate for Best Movie of the Year, by the way,) I found the soundtrack to be quite good, and the much-worried-about voccals that several reviewers have mentioned to be unintrusive. I like the score, and three themes stood out for me: The short-but-sweet Father Christmas theme, the Narnia Theme (as I would call it, which really sort of originates as the Narnian Lullabye, and is used for both Tumnus and Narnia in general thereafter,) and the 'Hero Theme,' first and most prominently heard when the pommel and sword break the surface of the river. So, me, I'm going to be waiting anxiously in line come the 13th for that soundtrack.

25. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    The Battle Score is just amazing. Probably the cue that will carry on through the xeven films for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.