main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cinematography/Film Techniques of The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PymParticles , Apr 14, 2017.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, we've now seen a little of what Rian Johnson's contribution to Star Wars is going to look like. This is the place to specifically discus the most important aspect of any film: not the story, or writing, or characters, but the moving pictures, the thing that sets cinema apart as an art form and makes a movie a movie.

To start with, here are three of my favorite shots. The first allows for a really intimate connection between the viewer and Rey as she tests her burgeoning powers on a small, personal scale. The second has a really lovely contrast between white and red, which we've seen a lot of in the marketing so far; it's on the product packaging, as well as the teaser poster. Maybe thematically the film deals with purity and corruption? Maybe the Jedi Order started out as a pure concept that became corrupted through false interpretations of the Force? Or maybe Rian Johnson just thought it looked real pretty; who knows. The third seems to be the big "money shot" of the teaser, the one most everyone seems to be focusing on. It pairs really well with Luke telling Rey that the Force is bigger than the Light and the Dark Sides (at least it appears that's what he's telling her, although that could simply be a false context created through editing), in that Rey and Luke are these tiny little specks in the grand scheme of things.

Feel free to post others, and have fun delving into the specifics of what the Star Wars universe looks like through Rian Johnson's lens. If anyone can get some gifs of these shots, to represent what they actually look like in motion, that'd be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    is stunning and we still haven't seen Canto Bight.

Also, I adore this image:

[​IMG]

Great way to tease his full scar. the angle is to die for.

3. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Full disclosure, I am not an anime person, but this feels like it has an anime influence to me, in terms of the way his longer hair is blowing slightly, the lighting both coming from behind Kylo and from his saber's blade, the way the light bounces off his eyes, the dynamic angle of the shot, and the slight twist of his arm. It's just the first thing that comes to mind for whatever reason.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I really loved that shot of Rey from beyond looking out. Weirdly, my biggest takeaway from the trailer was some of these shots. Everything on Ahch-To looks amazing.
    [​IMG]

5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Ahch-To definitely looks like the most inspired portion of the film, followed by Crait. Granted, like hana_solo said we've seen none of Canto Bight, so who knows what that'll look like cinematically?

6. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I think that canto Bight is going to look sensational and that will make FinnRose scenes ever more endearing cause they were marginalized in FO (sanitation) and the Resistance (maintenance). And now are going to have a grand adventure that officers won't. [face_dancing]

TX-20 and PymParticles like this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Some really amazing shots in the trailer!!

8. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    I loved all the shots from the trailer. But as my username suggests, I am a big fan of chiaroscuro lighting, which is used prolifically throughout star wars. Not seeing much of it in the trailer. Hope RJ is saving some nice chiaroscuro scenes for the film itself.

9. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    I like the shot with the books shone by light. You got the impression they're super long lost ancient knowledge which will give you enlightenment. The fact they're not Holocrons really hammer in the message that they are super ancient.

10. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    that was the one chiaroscuro scene of the whole thing. Man, I love that lighting.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    One of the most stunning aerial shots in a Star Wars film.

[​IMG]

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Is he wiping his nose on his sleeve?

Anyways, this movie already looks way more beautiful than TFA did. JJ used to much shaky cam as well.

13. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    The waves flowing into Rey. Some Force right there.

14. forzaskywalker

forzaskywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    yup, and we only saw parts of Ahch-To--they did extensive filming in Ireland for this, so there's bound to be more beautiful imagery there, particularly the grassier parts, I'd imagine.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

I am really really really hoping that the twisting of the sabre he his doing here is threatening/posturing, and not twisting in the wound of a beloved character that he just stabbed.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I love how utterly different The Last Jedi looks in its cinematography when compared to the other SW films. There's some nods here and there, but by and large it's shot more like Jackson's Lord of the Rings films than anything from the OT or PT. Rian's making his presence as the director be felt pretty much instantaneously.

17. Kantz

Kantz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2015
    My hope is that his lightsaber is in someones chest in that moment. Talk about savage.....

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I love that shot of Kylo, probably one of my favourites from the teaser. In particular, the eye light adds such depth to the shot; reminds me of the similar shot at the end of TFA. Other shots also evoke those from TFA, so I'm not sure I entirely get the 'it looks completely different'.

This is one of my favourite shots in any movie ever. Rian Johnson's 'The Searchers' shot.
    [​IMG]

19. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i'm so impressed the shots are all different they remind me of an indie film 10/10 love it.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Love that shot. He looks like a beast.

21. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    More great cinematography:

[​IMG]

Pure magic, no? The light shining on the Jedi holy books is high fantasy. Also, that tree wall...drool

[​IMG]
    OK, lets analyze our favorite image - that's fire behind him but what's that in the lower right corner? Another light saber? And it's red. Who could have another red?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luke appear to be in the tree judging by the wall.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Ireland Tourism Board will so so all over this, like New Zealand during the Lord of the Rings movies.

Darth Nave and TX-20 like this.
  23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I absolutely see this, and I love it

TX-20 and Chained Prometheus like this.
  24. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Ha, ha, when MSW reported that Kylo's got a cape, I was joking about Batman!Kylo. Turns out, my instinct was right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I know, right? The establishing wide shots of Ahch-To in the start of the trailer are especially similar to Jackson's LotR. Even the distant shot of Rey training with her lightsaber and Luke watching from a few yards off reminds me of some of the shots during the travel montage in the middle of Fellowship of the Ring.

cameron.osborn and TX-20 like this.