main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cinematography/Film Techniques of The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PymParticles , Apr 14, 2017.

1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Also, Rian named Letter Never Sent as one of his influences and that one is big on silhouettes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Gigoran Monk

So i was watching TFA cuz....Why not. And i did notice something....TFA has....this is going to sound negative but....a very "Un-cinematic " look to it....I can't say it's TV quality or anything because i've seen TV quality but...watching it on TV idk....While watching ROGUE ONE and seeing the TLJ trailer it looks like it's made for theaters. TFA...while in theaters looked fine watching it on TV IDK....something feels a bit...off. You're a movie expert so many you can help me articulate this better.

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Check your TV menu and disable any motion smoothing setting.

11-4D, DaddlerTheDalek, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, I think you might have "smooth motion" on, which interpolates extra frames and gives almost a BTS or soap opera look to it.

Though Rogue One's cinematography (and the specific wide lenses Edwards used) are more pleasing to me, and more "cinematic," in the sense that I enjoy, I think this may just have to do with that setting.

TK327 and Siphonophore like this.
  5. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Different television companies will have different names for their motion smoothing effect.
    Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus, Sony calls it Motionflow, and LG calls it TruMotion.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/lcdtvs/turn-off-these-3-features-in-every-tv

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Which, incidentally, could each double as a different brand of laxative.

7. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    What do you think the odds are that the dissolve from what looks like stars to rocks and then Rey's hand is the exact transition from crawl to the start of film?

I know the rumor is that it starts off exactly where 7 ended, but this seems like it would work a lot better and was designed with that transition in mind.

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The odds are low. Very low.

9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I'd say R1 often tops TFA in cinematography, but I still think TFA looks gorgeous (and v cinematic).

10. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Very low indeed, as close to the ground as possible so they're not detected by the radars of logic.

11. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Dissolve could be just for the trailer or it could be Rey having a vision or communication through the Force (stars could emphasize that the Force connection transcends space and also may reveal her location if, lets say, someone saw the star system). Either way, it won't open the movie cause shareholder footage revealed the possible first scene (saber handover).

Satipo likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Per the influence of Letter Never Sent, one of the key set pieces in that film involves an intense and visceral forest fire. I'm wondering if that carries over into the flashback destruction of Luke's Jedi temple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and Gigoran Monk like this.
  13. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    ewoksimon And lets not forget the fire behind Kylo in that one brief scene that we see him. So forest fire must have definitely influenced both proceedings.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Out of curiosity, did you (or someone else) tweak the brightness on this image? Seems a little overlit, with not enough black in the shadows.

In fact, while I love the trailer, I was a little surprised at the lighting, which seemed a tad overlit for a Johnson film.

15. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's funny that you should say that because when I watch the teaser it seems a lot darker than screencaps from it. The last shot in particular, I can barely see any of the detail in the wall of the tree cave, just making out Rey's staff from the lighter wraps around it, but when I take a screencap I can see Rey's staff itself. I can't explain it.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Looks like there is grass.

arjank likes this.
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That might be your computer rather than the footage itself, or the brightness might be boosted on the screencaps to allow for more detail to be seen. I saw the trailer in theaters when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and I could make out detail in the last shot just fine.

18. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    yeah, grass is a strike against the theory that the temple was on Tatooine, unless they irrigated the garden around the temple or something.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe the moistsure turrets of uncle Owen went crazy since Luke left? [face_dunno]

20. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    maybe though the size of that place indicates that Luke likely didn't build it but rather found it.

21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Wait, there was a theory that the temple was on Tatooine? That seems weird, did it predate the teaser or did it come about after we saw the above image?

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It came out of thin air, as most Star Wars fan theories do.

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I pulled the shot from the film gallery on the official site. I'm guessing the color timing was specific to the trailer, and the final film might have more contrast.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016

[face_tee_hee] can't disagree though this theory has something to do with a legit concept art and comparison between vision boulders in TFA and Tatooine ones (don't ask).

25. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    Dantooine is grassy right?