main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cinematography of Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TCF-1138 , Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    ^^Making an obscure Harry Potter reference on a Star Wars fan forum? Somewhere out there, Chris Hardwick just got a boner.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I am the internets of course.

GGrievous likes this.
  3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I guess it's the difference of "real life violence" vs "cartoon violence".

But I agree TCW was pretty violent. Many times while watching it I was like "this is for kids?"

Hernalt likes this.
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You're right... Cartoon violence and 'live action' violence can't really be compared. I don't think Star Wars, in any of its mediums, (especially the films) sets out to be 'violent'. It's about context... there was a narrative reason to see the corpses of Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen just as there was a narrative reason to witness Anakin's burning. Star Wars also doesn't glamorise violence in the way most action movies do (or did)... there's always a consequence... and I think that it something to be celebrated. It never feels overly sanitised, but remains easily accessible to kids/families and is one of the reasons for its unwavering popularity - IMHO.

5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    No Chris Hardwick reference would be complete without a hashtag: #ITalkAfterShows

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Is his real name Hardwick? And you said he got a boner? Ah, Chris Boner.

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    JJ Abrams is right up there, too, and I mean that. That's what worries me, especially now that his favorite cinematographer is returning. Mission Impossible 3 and the two Trek movies give me such a headache and it's not just the lens flares. [face_hypnotized]

Hernalt, -Jedi Joe- and Darth PJ like this.
  8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... but I do think KK will keep him in check... mostly...

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have the highest confidence that (for Episode VII, at least...) this will be a closely monitored production, where the producer actually monitors closely...

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Which one? There's about six producers on Episode VII alone. The last two trilogies had only three, if you count Lucas.

11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    While JJ's camera movements don't offend my sensibilities quite as much as Bay's for some reason, I do agree that he tends to overdo it a lot. I'm just hoping that he has an innate understanding of what a Star Wars film should look like and has studied the camerawork in the previous films in order to keep as much congruence as possible.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Immortiss and Mystery_Roach like this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I have no problem with CG creatures, but one of the great things to me about the Star Wars saga as a whole is the variety of techniques used to accomplish different effects and creatures, so I'm definitely on boards with some more puppetry. I think it would be lame if they left CG creatures out of the mix entirely though, since they're now in all but one movie.

Darth PJ and Immortiss like this.
  14. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    With amazing attention to detail, such as that shown pictured in the link, I don't understand the need for all-CG creatures. It seems like someone could just take any one of those puppets, and then add a touch of CG to give them liveliness, and presto...they'd have the pluperfect combo of special-practical effects laden creatures. Of course, I could be mistaken, and there'd much more to it then that, dunno.

Immortiss and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sock puppets are the most realistic due to facial movements and whatnot.

16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it's more the practicality of it... it's easier to do one or the other. I personally thought the Neimoidians looked great in the PT... as did digital Yoda, Watto etc. I think the best solution is just to mix the style and have the best of both (which they've generally done).

17. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think its easy to forget just how far CGI has come since the time of the prequels. I just watched TPM last week, and it struck me how pleasantly tame the amount of CGI in that film is compared to Man of Steel, Star Trek, and The Hobbit. I think some of the CGI in the prequels stuck out like a sore thumb simply because CGI wasn't quite there yet. It still had that low-res, shiny "cartoon" quality that has been mostly ironed out in the past 14 years, and will be even better by the time 2015 rolls around. I think there's still a role to be played by practical sets, old fashioned creature effects, and model-making, but I'm more confident than ever in the ability of CGI to "fill in the gaps" with things that otherwise wouldn't be possible.

18. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Agreed, CGI has grown by leaps and bounds. One of the very first times I remember ever having seen CGI displayed on screen was in Jurassic Park. That combination of special effects and animatronics remains to be...just wow...spellbinding. Star Wars has always had that fusion of CG-practical effects, as well as that wow feel to it, and hopefully with the growth of CGI, JJ can find the perfect balance between the two elements, and create for some unforgettable moments.

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The CGI in Gravity was especially stunning.

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I love what CGI does with scale. The landscape, cityscape, the ships, planets and space. That's the tops for me. Still not completely sold on digital characters, unless they're played by Andy Serkis.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I kind of like the more cartoony CG characters in Star Wars actually. To me, they fit in with the established style nicely. After all, many of the physical creatures and puppets are already cartoony as hell.

We should probably get back to the cinematography though.

22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I hope Dan Mindel and JJ Abrams do what Janusz Kaminsky and Steven Spielberg did for KOTCS, which was to copy the style of Doug Slocombe, the cinematographer who had worked on the three original Indy films, but had passed away in the interim, in order to give the film its proper stylistic look. Apparently the studied Slocombe. I hope Mindel/Abrams studies Lucas closely. I would love to hear/see Lucas spitballing ideas to JJ. George saying, 'Hey, use my idea(s) if you like'.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I personally feel that Kaminsky (of whom I'm not a fan) didn't really manage to capture Slocombe's style to be honest. Kaminsky always goes for the over-exposed, blown out shots, while Slocombe had richer highlights, and a higher dynamic range. The colour palette in the older films were also richer. This, of course, has a lot to do with digital grading - but it also has to do with the slight over-exposure, which leaves the colours looking more muted.
    Don't get me wrong, I actually like the look of Indy4, but it doesn't look like the earlier ones. However, if Ep7 isn't further off from the look of the older movies than Indy4 were from its predecessors, I'd be quite content :)

What I'd really like for Ep7 (and 8 & 9 of course), is a step back in the colour grading standard. I'd love for the films to have real blacks like the old ones, not the green-blue (teal) shadows of newer films.
    I quickly put these together for comparison:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abadacus, Artoo-Dion , TKT and 3 others like this.
  24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Whilst I don't think Kaminsky quite captured the look of the earlier Indy films, he did (IMO) successfully capture the look and lighting of 1950's technicolor movies... to the point that certain shots I'd swear were filmed decades ago. I do agree that I don't particularly like the washed out palette of some modern movies... I like my modern films to be rich in colour and tone.

Artoo-Dion and Immortiss like this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm... I don't think I get that much of that "green-blue (teal) shadows" effect when watching my 2004 DVDs. [face_dunno]

Or are you saying these are not actual DVD or Blu-ray screen shots, but rather shots you made by modifying the colors yourself to what you think is commonly used in new movies these days?

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.