main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Circle" discussion/speculation thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lisse, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisse

Lisse Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2001
    According to Rabé and other assorted Nubians, Lucéa is the granddaughter of one of Padmé's siblings -- thus, Padmé is her great-aunt. As always, things adult-types say should be taken with a grain of salt. Or in the case of Rabé and people from her generation, with an entire saltshaker. Very few people are what they appear to be. Even Ben.

Obischick, Bellar's going to popping up more and more. And like everyone else, he isn't quite what he seems to be.

*wonders why the frag she's up at one thirty in the morning*

2. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Oh. I understand.

Just wondering-- Lisse? You do know what's going on, don't you? You're not just making it up as you go along?

Really! I'm serious! I've done it before--heck, I'm doing it now! Just got caught by a plot bunny and started running. No one here seems to know exactly what's going on but you. I just wonder if you know what's going on yourself. 8-}

Don't take offense. I'm just wondering. :)

3. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    Hmm. Haven't been here in a while. (Or, uh, UP!)

4. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I've done that sometimes, vader_incarnate--made things up as I went, and somehow, they fell together beautifully. I think in Lisse's case she might have the story (or the main outlines) plotted out--but I could be wrong. Lisse? *looks questioningly in Lisse's direction*

5. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I don't see how she could be making it up as she goes. It's just too brilliant, and way too much material to keep up with. I know I would make huge blunders in continuity if I made up a story this epic as I went along. :)

Plus, she's mentioned having timelines and stuff before. Look through this thread for some edited-for-spoilers timelines and outlines.

6. Lisse

Jan 6, 2001
    *reads posts* So the big question is: am I making this up as I go along?

I do know where this story is going. I know who's going to live, who's going to die, who's going to be where when, and who's whose relative. That was mapped out from day one. I knew exactly who Ben, Lucéa, et. al. were when I started, and I know what their future is. Mwaaahahaha! [face_devil]

There are minor plot points that twist and turn as I write, but I keep them solidly within the outline. Of course, it's not really an outline in the conventional sense. Aside from notes, character sheets and a few timelines, there really isn't anything written down. It's all in my warped little head.

Hoped that answers your questions. :)

And for those who are interested, here is The Mostly Complete Guide to Circle Characters!

(listed by last name, current as of 11/1)

Antilles, Wedge -- the leader of the Rebellion, burdened with more knowledge than he wants or needs. Loves his son Ben Darklighter and desperately wants to give him a normal life. Also misses being an ordinary pilot instead of a symbol.

Archimedes, Rowan -- protector of Ben Darklighter, much to her surprise. Former Royal Guard and Admiral. Arguably the best fighter in the galaxy, bar none. Has been mildly concussed by tools. Isn't a Rebel. Really.

Blue -- Ben's astromech droid. Independent. Indirectly the cause of this whole mess, or at least Ben's involvement in it.

Calrissian, Jessa -- daughter of Lando Calrissian and Tendra Risant. Very, very rich. An idealist and a natural leader. Knows hand-to-hand combat. Has a boyfriend and spends a lot of time denying that she's worried about him. Don't let her cook. Ever.

Chume, Asaria -- daughter of Isoldur and Elian. The princess of Hapes. Betrothed to Mikel Ismaren Rage.

Chume, Dirrek -- son of Isoldur and Elian. The prince of Hapes. Up to something.

Chume, Isoldur -- the Prince of Hapes and Elian's husband. Hates the Empire. A lot.

Darklighter, Ben -- son of Wedge Antilles and Mara Jade. Has many Great and Terrible Things happening to him, much to his annoyance. Not at all adventurous. Can use the Force and fix just about anything. Has a girlfriend and a bodyguard, although he's not sure how this happened.

Darklighter, Gavin -- a mechanic and secret Rebel. Killed by stormtroopers.

Darklighter, Sasha -- daughter of Gavin and Olivea Darklighter. Wanted to become an Imperial officer. Killed by stormtroopers.

Darklighter, Olivea -- a homemaker and secret Rebel. Killed by stormtroopers.

Darth Rage -- Sith apprentice, second-in-command of the Empire, aka Luke Skywalker. A man with many conflicts, not the least of which is the one between his own loyalties and the lives of his children. Probably still loves Mara Jade.

Djo, Tenenial -- a witch of Dathomir and a bodyguard for the Hapan royal family. Can use the Force. Training Mikel Ismaren Rage.

Elian -- the Queen of Hapes and wife of Isoldur. Doesn't like the Empire.

Erté -- happy-go-lucky handmaiden. Thinks bad things happen to Other People. The galaxy's only Nubian matchmaker.

Fel, Jag -- son of Soontir Fel and Wynssa Starflare. A stormtrooper-turned-medic. Ben Darklighter's cousin, although this fact hasn't occurred to either of them. Boys. Go figure.

Ghent -- guardian of Melody re Riall. Reads code the way other people read flashing neon signs. Likes to tease Melody.

Goldenrod -- Ghent's protocol droid. Foisted on Melody re Riall because Ghent is evil like that.

Guri -- a replica droid. Helped Denilee Ismaren Rage escape from Imperial Center.

Horn, Corran -- only remaining Jedi Knight and master of Anakin Solo, for lack of a better word. Occasionally needs to be taken down a notch. Or ten. Wants to train Ben Darklighter.

Horn, Hal -- son of Corran Horn and Iella Wessiri. Might as well be Melody's husband. Doesn't understand his father, his girlfriend, or his future. Oh, and he can use the Force, but that's another story entirely.

Ismaren, Irek -- son of Roganda Ismaren. An Imperial commander. Dotes on his half-siblings.

7. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Thank you for the character listing--it's quite helpful, and completely hilarious. [face_laugh]

I know who's going to live, who's going to die, who's going to be where when, and who's whose relative. That was mapped out from day one. I knew exactly who Ben, Lucéa, et. al. were when I started, and I know what their future is. Mwaaahahaha! [face_shocked] [face_shocked] Who's going to die?!?! Ack! But...but...

(neglects to mention that she's been fairly certain people will die--it just happens in good, realistic fanfic)

*shakes head sadly* I always knew Lisse was sadistic. Only someone who kills characters could write someone like Melody.

8-} ;) Just kidding...somewhat. [face_devil] (I think I'm the one in the sadistic mood tonight.)

8. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha!!! **laughs insanely at character bios**

Those are hilarious!! The info is good, but, just the way you present it... the way you type it out... I can practically hear it in my head!! That's so incredibly funny!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Such as this one: Fel, Jag -- son of Soontir Fel and Wynssa Starflare. A stormtrooper-turned-medic. Ben Darklighter's cousin, although this fact hasn't occurred to either of them. Boys. Go figure.

Hehe!! :p

Or it could just be the fact that it's four in the morning... :p (for me ;) )

And you didn't give yourself a bio, Handmaiden Lissé! :eek:

~Obischick

9. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    It's nice to know that you know where you're going. Because everyone else, including your characters, don't. :D But should I be scared that you're in control of everything? Even more so that the Evil Emperor?

Oh, Good Force, that was hilarious. I was LMBO all the way through. One of my favorites, since I don't have the friggin' time to look 'em all over again:

Palpatine -- the Emperor. Evil. Very, very evil. Has dreamt that he will be defeated by a Skywalker woman, and has seem visions of Padmé Naberrie with a blue lightsaber. Is just a little wigged out by this.

Good Force, I just cracked up muchly at the "a little wigged out" part. [face_laugh]

Random sidenote: Does anyone know Palpatine's first name??

EDIT: And, since this is a spec thread, does anyone want to predict who's going to die? [face_mischief] I'm putting my cash down on Darth Rage, aka Lukie.

10. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Anyone else notice the tidbitrs of info that Lisse just dropped? For one, Ben is definitely Mara Jade's son. For another, Jessa is Ben's girlfriend. ;)

I just reread the first post, and feel the need to point something out. It says that Darth Rage will not fall until the last Son of the Suns has fallen to the dark side. Um, ooops? What if Anakin Solo really isn't the only one left? What is some kid from Tatooine is a Son of the Suns, too?

11. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Eh... you mean when Lucea's comment that, "the Sith will not fall until the last son of the Suns is turned" Right?

I'm just thinking that Ben isn't a Skywalker, simply because we think he is. *shrugs* I tend to expect the unexpected, to use the old cliche. It comes from reading the Harry Potter books too much. I think we can trust Lisse to come up with an interesting twist to shock us all.

I personally think that he is a Skywalker, just because. I don't know why. It's more of a feeling than anything else, more of a hope than anything else.

Has anyone suggested that one of the characters might be a Kenobi? I would die laughing. [face_mischief] Sorry, I'm in a strange mood. And the thought that all the Kenobi line is dead makes me :(.

12. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    Long ago, in the story, Rage was speculating to himself about Ben, and thought to himself that "Mara's heritage would more than explain his strength in the Force" or words to that effect. This can be taken two ways: (1) Mara's strength in the Force is enough to explain it (meaning Ben's heritage from her specifically, or (2) that Mara comes from a family line that's particularly strong in the Force (meaning a heritage Mara both possessed and passed on to Ben).

So Mara could be descended from almost anyone, including Obi-Wan or another Kenobi. A lot of fan fics have made her Obi-Wan's daughter - some with better reason than others. Personally, after I saw Obi-Wan's personality in AOTC, I was absolutely convinced Mara was his direct descendant - biting sarcasm, impatience with inefficiency, lack of interest in grandstanding, and some sad tangled destiny with the Skywalker line is just too much coincidence for unrelated characters to share. Plus, his hair's kind of red-gold. :D

However, there are other people of interest Mara could be descended from.

13. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    So, has anyone ever considered that maybe Lucéa and Melody are twin sisters? I mean, in Lisse's timeline, there is a possiblity that the two of them could be born at the same time, plus, they look a lot alike. Hmmm...

And Bellar and Dirrik Chume are the same age as well... maybe they're twins too! :p Or maybe Bellar is the *real* Prince of Hapes! Or maybe he's not! :p

Hmmmm... what makes Mara leave the Empire? is it because she's pregnant with Ben? Did she suddenly decided to do good? Did she have a mid-life crisis? Only time... and perhaps Lisse, will tell. ;)

As for Mara's parantage/ansestory, I really have no idea. I would like to believe that she's a Kenobi, either Obi-Wan's daughter or neice or something, but I also think that Obi-Wan is too close to the Jedi code, too... well, goody-goody-two-shoes is a little harsh, but it convays what I'm trying to say ;) I think GL once said that Obi-Wan was the Ideal Jedi. The perfect Jedi that obayed the code and was wise and compassionate and clever and etc, so it makes it hard for me to believe that he would either get married and have a child, or have a child. That's just me though, mainly it depends on who's writing, and how well it's thought out.

~Obischick

14. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    *hugs Obischick ecstaticaly* THAHNK YOU!!! After seeing AOTC (and TPM, for that matter) I knew that Obi-Wan would never have children. He is the Ideal Jedi. There is no way he could be Mara's father. It's basically impossible, unless GL turns around, decides to fly in the face of all of his characterization of Obi-Wan, and give him a wife. [/rant]

Sorry-- I'm rather passionate about this subject. :)

15. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    I doubt it's possible that Kenobi had kids... but heck, it'd be interesting. 8-} *shrugs* Kenobi was no Anakin Skywalker, to say the least, but weren't our own ancestors shocked when Vader was discovered to be Luke's father?

(*has just smacked self upon realizing how politically incorrect that was* Well... my ancestors at any rate.)

I'd just like to imagine that Kenobi left something behind. :( His story is just so sad: he gives his life for his Order and for the Force and never gets the recognition for it. Anakin was the Chosen One, Luke was the one to redeem him, and Obi-Wan... was. Most will agree with me in saying that he is one of the tragic heroes of the SW saga.

*shrugs* It's just more fun for me to think, or to hope, at least, that there was someone to carry on the Kenobi legacy just as there was someone to carry on the Skywalker one. And to add fuel to the fire, Mara just seems so like him, personality-wise as well as in appearance. Force knows that it's unlikely. Force knows that it's about three centimeters from impossible, if that. But that's what fanfic is about. Exploring the possibilities of what will be and what may have been. :)

I don't think Kenobi was the "Ideal Jedi", but I do think that he came danged close. And...

*realizes that her ranting has almost nothing to do with The Circle*

You know, I could type up another page or two on the subject of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but why would I? This is The Circle speculation, right? *shrugs* Ah well.

16. TreeCave

Jul 28, 2001
    I also think that Obi-Wan is too close to the Jedi code, too

Agreed. BUT Lucas hasn't been clear on what precisely is allowed by the code. Tons of recent EU stuff has Jedi leaving the Order to have families, then returning to life as Knights later on.

He has clearly stated they are allowed to have lovers, i.e., putting it bluntly, to have sex. So unless we believe birth control is perfect in the GFFA, Obi-Wan could have fathered a child and still been well within the code (particularly if his lover was another Jedi, I think). And I doubt birth control is perfect because I find it hard to believe Padme and Anakin would be trying to have kids when Luke and Leia come along, with the wars raging and the galaxy in such a state of chaos. So I assume they have better birth control than we do, but the Force sometimes steps in - presumably when a child is really destined to be born.

Anyway, that's just another way to look at it. There are a lot of very different views which are all equally valid - it's a matter of preference, in the end.

And almost anything is better than 90% of the EU, so whatever. :D

17. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    It's clear I'm in the minority here, so I'll just shut up. I respect everyone else's opinions, I just don't agree with them. :)

*goes to check for the second time today if there's another Circle post*

18. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I'm confused about Alai...why dont we try and name all Sith ever heard of?

Bane
    Maul
    Vader
    Exar Kun
    Palpatine
    Dooku
    Rage

19. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Hmm... *thinks* the only other I can think of is Ulic Qel-Droma-- and I'm not all that sure ya want to count him. *shrugs*

20. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    It's probably more likely that Alai's Sith heritage comes from the old school types... Or Dooku, I suppose. How spoilerific was Lisse for Ep II? I don't think it was out when she wrote that.

21. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Oh man, she started writing this practically when TPM came out, and had everything planned out long before AOTC. But it isn't AU until the OT, so she won't contradict anything that happens in the prequels.

22. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    I'd think one of the old school ones, too. :) And... *thinks* since we've already established *points up* that Lisse has everything planned out, I doubt it was Dooku. Possibly Maul, I suppose, but Alai is human, isn't she?

23. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    It is a dark and stormy night. A strange figure grabs some jump leads and attaches them to the thread. These lead across to a jumbled array of copper wires, glassware that look like they were blown by a man suffering from a violent attack of the hiccups and for some unknowable reason an enormous metal cat. Over the howling wind, the figure yells something almost undecipherable: "Crank up the power, Igor!" (It has to be noted that an Igor is an essential prop for a mad scientist, just like an untameable halo of frizzy white hair and a laugh that sounds like what you would get if someone crossed a hyena with a moose on a caffeine high.)

The misshapen servant of Natural Philosophy turned a handle on what looked like a snack dispenser filled with a clear liquid and a low, thrum filled the air that seemed to wriggle up the spine and poke every nerve cell with a feather duster. A devilish grin split the deranged inventor's face. "More! More more more more more more MORE!!" he screams. Igor's arm becomes a blur as he sins the wheel faster and faster and faster and faster and faster...

Then the entire scene is lit up as a thunderbolt lances down from the angry purple storm clouds over-head and strikes the random metal cat on its raised nose. The noise from the odd apparatus changes from a healthy thrrruuummm to an ear-splitting, nails-on-a-blackboard, sccccreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk-fffffiiiiiizzzz-BOOOOOM!! The entire lot dissolved into a tangled gooey mess, wires melting and snaking over super-heated fragments of glass. The two humans (if you could call Igor a human) were catapulted through the air like the toys of a gigantic, petulant toddler who is screaming: "Don't wanna don't wanna don't wanna! ".

Some time passed, during which the odd green fumes that seemed to have accumulated dispersed. The mad scientist checked that there was no damage to him apart from the unavoidably singed eyebrows. (Even the mad scientists of the Qhjfgi/#ug'jigdielug*yg%^vlhfg">< species who are winged fish that live in magma pools seem to suffer from this bizarre affliction, despite genetically having no hair whatsoever. It is thought by philosophers that they have specially flammable eyebrows cosmetically applied for this very purpose.) He gingerly looked at the thread and immediately wished he hadn't had anything for breakfast this morning. "Oh nooooooo..." he moaned. It's alive. "

A bit wordy, I know, but fun all the same.

Speculation- Lisse seems to have indicatewd that charecters are going to die. Who's your best guess?

24. Lisse

Jan 6, 2001
    *cracks up*

25. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    :eek: :) :D

I made Lisse crack up! *Starts bouncing off the walls* Wahooooooooooooooooo! :p

Seriously though, I only intended that to be a paragraph or so, and then the plot bunny started savaging me until I wrote more. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.