main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the classic trilogy petition

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Jedi_master_Bernard, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_master_Bernard

Jedi_master_Bernard Jedi Master star 1

Dec 5, 2002
    i hope you guys have taken a look at this . and possibly sign the petition as soon as possible. at this site http://www.originaltrilogy.com/petition.cfm

the petition reads.......

Dear Mr. Lucas:

In recent public comments, you have stated that the original versions of the classic Star Wars Trilogy would not be released to DVD at any time in the future. This letter is an open plea on behalf of your devoted fans for you to reconsider your position regarding the release of your wonderful films.

In the August 2002 edition of Star Wars Insider Magazine, you are quoted as saying, "I think of the film as The Special Edition. I don't think of it as the early version, any more than I would put early rough cuts on. I could put four or five rough cuts onto the thing and say, 'This is how it advanced.' I consider The Special Edition as being the final version at this point. I don't even worry about the other ones, because it went through a lot of incarnations to get to the final stage." You recently reiterated this position in comments made during the American Cinematheque tribute to ILM and Skywalker Sound in Hollywood.

While we appreciate your creative viewpoint on the evolution of the films, we respectfully submit that there is tremendous importance in the original theatrical prints of the Star Wars Trilogy. Above and beyond the nostalgic value that they hold for millions of fans the world over, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are landmark films that represent watershed moments in motion picture history. To preserve the original, award-winning work of the many artisans, sound technicians, craftsmen, and special effects artists is to do justice to their priceless contributions.

Undeniably, these movies are also cultural placeholders for millions of film fans. The impact that the original Star Wars Trilogy made on countless numbers of children, young people, and grownups everywhere is indisputable. Preserving the unaltered theatrical release forms of these movies and making them available to your public is of utmost importance.

Those of us who love your movies and even those who are only casual film fans admire your drive to perfect your vision of the Star Wars experience. We know that you constantly push your creative companies to blaze new frontiers of digital filmmaking and that you are also an artist who is never satisfied and strives for perfection. We, the film-going public, benefit from your vision and embrace the ever-growing Star Wars universe.

Furthermore, we understand that you have commercial concerns and that you need to consider the financial viability of any home video product that you release. Perhaps a Limited Edition run of the original films along with a Special Edition release would be in order. This approach would sate niche market demand, while still targeting the general public and no doubt breaking home video sales records. We want it to be known that there is enormous demand for the original theatrical versions of the films. Your devoted fans would more than likely purchase both an Original Trilogy release as well as any Special Edition versions.

An entire generation grew up with these movies and loves them dearly. They have created treasured memories and will always hold a place in our lives. We hope that you take to heart the hopes and wishes of the undersigned as well as the countless others who feel the same.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

The Home Theater Forum
    The Digital Bits
    MusicTAP
    TheForce.Net
    Jedinet.com
    dvd-dweeb.com
    DVDSewer.com
    The Home Theater Online Community
    The Cinematic Verses
    AudioVideoForum.com
    Genre Online.Net
    Babtech on the Net
    DVDrome.com
    Deranged Video Dude
    The Nick Atoms
    DVD Movie Central
    TheJediArchives.Net
    robogeek.com
    widescreen.org
    SWGPVP.com
    Plagiarist.com Poetry Archive
    Bastion
    Cinemascope.gr
    The Book Forum
    MovieJustice.com

...and the individual Star Wars fans who have signed this petition.

so far, since the morning of april 8, 2003, there ar

2. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Cheers J_m_B :)

//Rushes off to sign....

3. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Another 28k people for Mr Beardie to ignore then. I doubt he's going to take much notice of the fans now - its his vision, not ours. Plus, personally I wouldn't listen to someone called 'dvd-dweeb.com' either. :p

4. Dark_Elf_Queen

Dark_Elf_Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2002
    I can bet you a pound to a penny he will release them on DVD at some point, petition or no petition :)

5. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    lol yeh, the name dweeb doesn't exactly pack a punch. :p

EDIT// He won't Nic, Az is right, Lucas never listens to his fans. :(

Selfish git.

6. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    It should be extra on the OT:SE eventual box set in 2005/6/7 whenever. It'd make sense. Fans would pay 50 quid for a set as well I reckon.

7. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Well i know i would if it came to it. I mean i do prefer the SE anyway, but i would still like to see it in it's original form on dvd.

8. Dark_Elf_Queen

Dec 3, 2002
    Possibly... I dunno though.

I'd like to see the OT released myself as a recentish convert to SW I missed out on getting the OT first time around :(

9. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    I have both sets on VHS anyway, but it could be done easily. But then, if Lucas wants to add to his paltry $4 billion fortune, he could release both sets at the same price. Fans would buy them, but others would only buy the SE versions. See, everyone who bought the Ep2 aren't necessarily SW fans; just cos it was a 'box office hit'. A re-release of the OT non SE would have very limited sales I think; hence why an addition to the OT:SE box set would make sense.

10. Dark_Elf_Queen

Dec 3, 2002
    I'd buy both the OT and the SE versions though... it would be nice if he released a 6 disk edition (after EpIII) with all the films on and maybe with 3 extra SE version disks. OK it would come at a hefty price but hell I'd pay it!

11. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Lucas should do what Spelberg did with ET.
    Have two versions on one disk. Ot and SE

He can do that for all three of the OT Films.

Lucas is missing the point totally, those films are classic and need no revamping (but the only time is to produce good quallity sound and picture and if he wants he could add more space battle in RotJ) and if he continue then he'll loose most of his fans.

12. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Lucas is missing the point totally, those films are classic and need no revamping (but the only time is to produce good quallity sound and picture and if he wants he could add more space battle in RotJ) and if he continue then he'll loose most of his fans.

Good to see you back true to form DA6. If he added more space battles to ROTJ then it wouldn't be original would it? [face_plain]

Even improving the sound or picture quality is taking away the original tag.

I propose 3 versions;

a, The original originals ,warts and all.

b, The improved originals, sound and picture quality enhanced but no extra scenes.

c, The LFL Sorceror's Apprentice version, were anime and kids cartoonists are set free to add to and improve the originals as much as they like.

13. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Well, I'm with DA6. I say, lets chop out the whole Jabba's Palace, Tatooine, and Endor scenes, and just have a 2hr space battle. On loop.

Seriously, theres no real reason why they couldn't have both versions on the discs. It could lead to neat little features where you have both open at the same time and view the differences etc. But then again, there I go, talking common sense again. tut! [face_plain]

14. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    lol carefull there Az, common sense will lead you down the path of the darkside! :eek:

15. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    oo-er... You've been down there, and I know where it leads... :eek: :eek: [face_plain]

16. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Yes i have been to the dark side and back....and it wasn't a nice experience. :_| ;)

17. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    I did that, I couldn't get a sun tan so I went back [face_plain]

EDIT: Why thank you Moylesy, and how you been ? :)

18. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    I've been fine, thank you DA6. Good to see you back. :D

19. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002

LMAO @ concept of irony :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.