the classic trilogy petition

Discussion in 'Victoria, BC' started by Jedi_master_Bernard, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_master_Bernard Force Ghost

star 1

Dear Mr. Lucas:

In recent public comments, you have stated that the original versions of the classic Star Wars Trilogy would not be released to DVD at any time in the future. This letter is an open plea on behalf of your devoted fans for you to reconsider your position regarding the release of your wonderful films.
  2. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *blink* *blink* *utterly confounded* Okay, um....I note that this exact same thread has been posted in *ten* different regional forums....and I wonder if perhaps that's pushing it to have started another one here as well. I'm merely not sure that it's so very necessary to post it in all these places at once....I've seen people do stuff like this before and it doesn't always work well. Put the thread in the General forum, for instance, and I'd wager that most people would find it anyway....but to have posted it *ten* times in a row, ten different forums.... *scratches head, bewildered* I'm just not sure that it was all that necessary. That's all.... :)
    Dawn. (not signing) :D
  3. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for posting, JMB, I only check this forum and would have missed it otherwise. I will be sure to sign the petition, and make sure my friends do so as well!

Let's hope that this petition has a very positive (and productive!) effect on the Flanelled One.

-Vills
  4. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Be that as it may....going by, among other things, Obi-Dan's valued input on this very matter in the Vancouver forum as well....where this particular thread was also posted, yet *again*, in that span of just a few short minutes....well, alas, the fact remains that it *does* seem to constitute spam. Therefore, under the circumstances....maybe it might be a good idea to....lock this thread in question, then, forthwith? Irregardless of anything else, I'm just wondering if, perhaps, considering the matter at hand....that would simply be best....
    Dawn.
  5. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Before you lock this thread there's something you should know.

There is no longer ANY copies of the original Trilogy Filmstock at Skywalker Ranch.

George considers the OT to be a "Unfinished Film" and the Special Editions are the only way he wants to see the trilogy released.

I was told this by someone fairly well placed at The Ranch, and I trust what they tell me 100%.

So, this means that we will NEVER see the OT released on DVD, only Special Edition will come out....and that's not till 2006.

The proposed timeline for release goes:

Ep3 - 2005 Film & DVD
    Ep1,2&3 2005 Boxed set.
    Ep4 2006
    Ep5 2007
    Ep6 2008
    Ep4,5,& 6 2008 just in time for Christmas

Ep1,2,3,4,5,&6 2009 (Rumoured to be as ONE film with added scenes)

But the release dates may change depending on demand.
  6. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, man, I just *know* the territory that this thread could all too easily descend into, and thus being all too aware of that - and, also, of the fact that it *is* still essentially a redundant thread (given its presence elsewhere, in numerous other forums, as I mentioned before) - well, it's merely now seeming like an even better idea for it to be locked. And keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever mentioned such a thing, ever thought to suggest it....but under the circumstances....well, it's the sheer unecessary redundancy of it that, I suspect, concerns me most. Hardly the *only* thing by any stretch of the imagination, though....

Dawn. (going to whip up that George Lucas Worshipping Thread, post-haste, since I think I'm getting an unfortunate sense of things here....and rarely am I paranoid for no reason whatsoever ;) - I guess some things just need doing....)
  7. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    I never knew that there were no original copies of the trilogy left... That's rather sad, I think. Oh well! Thanks for the info on the film release dates. Is there any way you will reveal your secret-agent-man source to us? :p

I am really intrigued by your second to last comment, lordvaderFF- "(Rumoured to be as ONE film with added scenes)" Wow, would THAT be a movie watching experience!!! Why do you think Lucas wasn't (and isn't) willing to release the original film? I'm thinking thousands of avid fans can't be that wrong.

-Vills
  8. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    If you really have such a problem with this thread Dawn, you are probably better off not replying to it quite so often. It seems fairly obvious to me that the RSA's aren't going to lock the thread and your protests about it only up it.

I was under the impression that Mr. Lucas was never going to put episodes 4-6 on DVD in any edition. So if LordVader is correct, that is good news to me.
  9. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    I am waiting for the ok to close this thread from Rani. Dan in Vancouver had me close the same thread that was posted in their chapter..
  10. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Sorry to say I can't reveal my source....but I will say I would trust this person with your life.

George was never happy with the OT, that's why he did the Speky Eddies (Special Editions). Once they were completed (and I've heard he still has a few scenes to add before DVD release) the OT just didn't exist anymore......sad really.

11. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Apologies for not having dealt with this much sooner, however I was taking an unforseen and unwilling vacation from my computer this last week. Fortunately I know Mike keeps a good eye things in that kind of situation. [Han Solo] Situation normal, everythings fine here, we're all just fine, now...how're you? [/Han Solo] :)

CrazyMike: Thanks for the PM heads-up. My take on this thread is that while the first post is spam, as with so many of our threads on this forum the discussion has strayed away from the original purpose of the thread - only this time perhaps for the better. :p Perhaps once everyone's finished discussing the DVD release schedule and/or Lucas' policy of not releasing the original version to DVD, then it can be locked.

In the meantime, please remove everything except the "Dear Mr. Lucas" and the first paragraph of the petition text in the original post (as it pretty much covers the subject right there), and let this guy get his signatures somewhere else and in a less-annoying manner. I don't think there's a need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, though. I find LordVaderFF's info rather informative and interesting (thanks, LV!), proving that sometimes something good can come of something annoying...

Dawn: anyone can request of any RSA (though preferably a Canadian RSA first) or any GSA that a thread be locked or even removed by PMing that admin. Repeated public complaining about a thread only serves to bring it more attention than it perhaps deserves by "upping" it.

Everybody: Unless there's further serious objection to this thread's existance, I can't see it being unacceptable without the link and redundancy that I've asked Mike to remove for us. Got an issue? Feel free to PM me if you want it gone or locked, and I'll pass it on to the Mike, but it needn't be discussed here.

Once Mike edits the first post, I'll edit this so the discussion can continue without inturruption, to its natural end. ;)

My 2 cents...

- Rani

1st Edit: Thank you, Mike, for editting the first post. :) On further consideration, I'll actually leave my own explanation above intact for 24 hours so eveyone can see why I asked the edit to be made, rather than having it locked altogether.
  12. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Edited as requested...
  13. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    proving that sometimes something good can come of something annoying...

You calling me annoying???????

I'm wounded....deeply wounded....or is that just a stale Timbit? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.