main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Classics: What Would you Recommend?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Healer_Leona , Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was discussing some classic scifi with family the other night and realize I'd yet seen mention of some of my fave oldtime shows and/or movies on this board, even though some hold a place of honor in our most lovely banner. Many of the contemporary movies and series that we now love owe their creation/inspiration from previously viewed venues.

What are some of the classics (your idea, not the populace) that you would recommend for others to view?

While I could dig back far to pick a couple, my movie would be The Day The Earth Stood Still, being one of my two all time favorite movies (the other being shown in the corner of the banner).

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/healerleona/DayEarthStoodStill.jpg]

Made in 1951, this black and white movie not only stands the test of time, but still surpasses it. Even the score can still bring a chill to my spine.

While many have seen overly religious tones in the movie, Michael Rennie's character Klaatu's death and subsequent resurrection, I love the movie for what I saw as a cautionary tale of human kind's arrogance.

Some of my favorite lines include Sam Jaffe's inquiry of his housekeeper if the show of power that Klaatu exerts by stopping all things electric frightens her, he responds with "That's good Hilda, I'm glad."

and of course Klaatu's last warning speech,

"If you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned out cinder. Your choice is simple. Join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you."

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    You have to have "Fobidden Planet" in there too. No matter how many times I've seen that on, I still stop to watch if I happen on it.

And I can't help remembering how I was afraid to fall asleep for weeks after watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the 56' version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.