main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well the Charleston Battery are our local team, they've fared well in the past few years against the Dynamo and a few others that we have faced in the Lamar Hunt Cup competition.

Got to the final in 08, lost to DC. Since then, really, United is considered a friendly rival- obviously much higher caliber club, but we typically play them (or their reserves) well.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, the Battery have done well is US Open Cup competitions historically. The 'Houds are playing the Battery next month.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Good to know the Crew can still beat the bad teams in MLS. Wins this year over Chivas, DC (twice), and Toronto. Against everyone else? Not so much.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Good news! Monterrey will not four-peat as CCL Champions next year! They were knocked out in the Semifinals of Liguilla - Clausura.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Anything for some variety in CCL will be good. MLS teams would be very preferable.

I caught the tail end of Saturday's Riverhounds match online. I was quite disappointed, as they gave up a late tying goal. At least they got points out of it, but they've got to learn how to seal the deal.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    US Open Cup results starting to pour in.

Dayton Dutch Lions advance and they will play Columbus in a grudge match rematch of last year's epic third round game where Columbus was completely lackluster and got sucker-punched out of the tournament. While I hope for a different result this year, I'm not sure we'll get it.

Orlando City got a win over Ocala Stampede, denying me a chance to go to DSGP and cheer on a PDL team against the cRapids next week. Instead, Colorado will travel to Orlando, and I won't get the chance to see if I can get attacked for rooting hard against a professional top-flight team against a U-23 semipro team.

And, sorry Darth McClain ... the Riverhounds lost, meaning no visit to Pittsburgh from an MLS team this year.

Also - if anyone wants an easy way to follow results, Reddit has a pretty good site.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I was at the Pirates game tonight, but I was trying to keep an eye on the Riverhounds' score. I had been really hoping to see the Riverhounds taken on the Union, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Continuing the conversation from the Beautiful Game thread, the more that I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by NYCFC. Hope that it works out. I don't think that there will be expansion for a while, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Chivas moved at some point.

So, to make two ten team conferences, is there any reason not to move the Dynamo to the West?

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah it will be interesting to see how things get shuffled around to make the conferences balanced.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So either tomorrow or sometime after when he debuts for the LA Galaxy, Robbie Rogers will become the first openly gay male athlete to be actively on an American Sports team's roster.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It was come up short day for me in soccerdom.

First, Roma comes up short in the Coppa Italia final.
    Then, Columbus comes up short despite being gifted a goal and a PK.
    Now, I'm coming up short finding out how to watch the Palace-Watford game tomorrow. Anyone know if it's on TV in the states?

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthIntegral

It's on beinsport (Al-Jazeera's english sports network), live from 10-12 EST.

I get the channel through Comcast with their sports package, it's a relatively new addition. Good channel, too, they carry La Liga and Serie A.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Thanks, heels!

Looks like if I want to watch it, I'll need to head to a bar.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not too surprised that it's on beIn. They grabbed the rights to a lot of foreign leagues recently. I think that I've been able to stream them before...[face_whistling]

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well the Sounders have been pretty terrible tonight.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, they've been pretty terrible all year, much to the delight of Strilo

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    At least we got this big smile for history last night:

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I got emotional when he stepped out onto the pitch. I personally love him to death. I move that we add his name to the thread title... 'cept mine is not really a mancrush... [face_blush]

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was ecstatic to watch them lose 4-0. Great game.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Down go the Rapids! Down go the Rapids! 3-1 to Orlando City!

DCU on the ropes as well - down to nine men and about to go to PKs. Oceancity just got a late equalizer on Philadelphia Union, only to have the Union answer. Charleston up late on San Jose.

Plenty of upsets and squeaky bum time for the Cup!

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Battery finish Quakes off 1-0. Solid.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Just watched the dvr'ing of the Portland Timbers game on Saturday (Camping at the coast for the weekend). Good game, with 3 points to boot. PTFC!

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd like to take a moment to recognize the wonderful sportsmanship of the New England Revolution.

Tonight, they played the Rochester Rhinos in the 3rd round of the US Open Cup. Now, the Rhinos are an affiliate team for the Revs. So, there are a few players on loan from New England who play for Rochester. So, what does New England do? Well, they recall two of those players, and put them on tonight's squad.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself "hey, that's not so bad."

But I haven't finished my tale of sportsmanship just yet.

You see. The Rhinos also have 8 of their current players out with injury. Leaving them a total of ten down for the game, when combined with the two loanees recalled. Now, from the 23-man roster, that leaves them with only 13 players. Enough for 11 starters, but not enough if they wanted to make their full three substitutions. So, naturally, the Rhinos look to add four amateurs to their roster. But, yesterday was a holiday, and they couldn't do it. And you can't add players to your roster within 24 hours of a US Open Cup game.

Thankfully, the USSF granted a waiver on that particular rule, and the Rhinos were able to go in with a full 18. Not that the Revolution had any inkling that was going to be granted.

And, they got smacked around, with the Revs winning 5-1.

So, hopefully New England enjoyed that victory, and their rousing demonstration of sportsmanship.

And hopefully they get their teeth kicked in - in Cup play and League play.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, that officially adds the Revs to Boston sports teams that I love to hate. That's terrible. I get that it's awkward with players that you're loaning out play against you, but this isn't a league match.

Glad to see USLP teams knocking off MLS ones. Nothing like a little Maddness.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Atlanta silverbacks scored at the end of regulation to force extra time, but Fake Salt Lake has scored in the first ET to take a lead. LA Blues had an early lead on Chivas, but the Goats just found an equalizer.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Welp. USA lost 4-2 to Belgium. A game that poor deserves a Tunick-style breakdown.

The Good: Not much. There was a nice set piece, with Davis and Zusi pulling off a sweet short corner to find Dempsey who sent it to Cameron for a goal to tie the game at one. Timmy had a couple of nice saves. And the return of Stu Holden.

The Bad: Plenty. There were the mental mistakes that lead to the first to Belgium goals. There were the bad giveaways in midfield. There was Taylor Twellman's awful commentary. There was Klinsmann finally bringing Terrance Boyd on as a sub, but moving EJ to winger at the same time. There was the sloppy tackling. And, the horrible officiating - Belgium should have had a penalty for handball, and didn't, while the US shouldn't have had a penalty for handball, and did. Ugh.

The Ugly: The Attack. Or what the coaches claim was the attack. Because I'm not sure an attack actually did exist. Does anyone on this team - Jozy Altidore included - watch tape of Altidore in the Netherlands? How do we have a 30-goal scorer in a European league unable to score? Because we have no ****ing idea how to use his talents. We need someone to give him delivery, but the best guy to do that is sitting on his couch in LA because the coach feels the need to prove a point. So, instead, we get Altidore looking lost, looking out of place, and getting delivery he can't use.

Boy, can't wait for Germany to kick our asses on Sunday.