main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm really disappointed that Boca's back with Chivas. Anyone but Chivas would have been fine. :(

Probably, but this Gold Cup doesn't really count for too much.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I really hope to have him in next year's World Cup, his skill and experience would be so helpful while others like Jose are improving.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not true ... On both accounts.

Chivas is marginally better for Captain America than TFC, Montreal Impact, or Vancouver Whitecaps.

Winner of this Gold Cup plays the winner of the 2015 Good Cup for the Confederations Cup birth in 2017. So there is something in the line. Plus, a chance for a guy like Jack Mac to don the stars and stripes.

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    True, but I think that my hatred of Chivas occasionally blinds me. :p

Oh, yeah, I forgot that the 2013 winner and 2015 winner play each other for the Confederations Cup spot. Still, it's decidedly a B-team. Biggest opportunity is for cap-tying and guys like Jack Mac.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Nah. The real joy of this Gold Cup is going to your AO bar for the Belize game and the potential of a Tahiti-like score.

Darth McClain likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Ordered my ticket for USA-Mexico ... Despite server issues causing massive panic

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Looks like I get to follow Sunderland results next year. I know a guy back in Columbus who is through-the-roof happy right now, as he's a HUGE USMNT and HUGE Sunderland fan.

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Best of luck to Jozy. A great opportunity for him.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So ... that game tonight ...

First half: 40 minutes of blah followed by a goal.

Second half: HOLY HELL! USA USA USA! FIVE goals in the second half. And some nice creativity all over the board.

What I loved seeing: Donovan is back! Scored the PK that seemed to turn the game around, and then added another beautiful goal later on. Had some poor touches and decisions in the first half, but some good set piece delivery and the two goals. STU IS BACK, TOO! Nice to see Stu get some minutes that weren't garbage time ... and,his presence really opened the game up. He was able to help create and distribute in midfield in ways Beckerman simply wasn't.

What I didn't like: Goodson. Ugh. Yes, he scored a goal. But he almost let two in. Safe to say if he's auditioning for Brazil 2014, he's not looking good. Ditto for Gooch. He's a shell of his former self and it's sad to see. But, he just doesn't have the speed to play, and he was indecisive tonight.

What I need to see better in the games that count: Rimando needs to make better and faster decisions. Holden needs to starts (DarthTunick for the record he played exactly 45 minutes). Brek Shea needs to put it all together for entire games, and not just moments in matches (he's not on the Gold Cup roster, but still).

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Horrible game for the Timbers today. Stupid red card didn't help.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    LOL @ Canada

LOL @ Mexico

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That was not a horrible game for the Timbers. It was a monumentally stupid foul by Kah, kicking another player in the face IN THE BOX. It was a deserved red card and should have been a converted penalty kick. We're damn lucky it was such a horrible shot. Still, considering that we were down three of our best players for Gold Cup, AND we were playing with ten men for literally 80 minutes, it was a pretty solid game. It rarely looked like there were ten men, they played with such control and passion. Look at the possession stats alone. Sucks to have a loss, but if 3 men down and a red card is what it takes to snap our lossless streak, then we're in pretty effing good shape.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    We gave up the goal at full strength, and then should have been 2 down. They (Columbus) played for the win after that, knowing that we would still press. Had a few chances that should had finish on it but ya still a horrible game or the Timbers.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That goal was pretty much unstoppable. And I think you are underselling how well the Timbers played for the rest of the match. It could easily have been 3 or 4 to nothing. As for "should have been 2 down" I did say "should have been a converted penalty kick." But that's entirely on Columbus. They lost that goal fair and square. But again, the boys played exceedingly well and I think calling it a horrible game for them is selling them short. And remember, we still have the lowest number of losses in the MLS by a LONG shot.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    STU-S-A
    STU-S-A
    STU-S-A

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Shouldn't you be chanting Wondo?

17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    No Wondow!

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Don't get me wrong ... Wondo had a helluva game. And the Wondow jersey thing is awesome (including the fact that Drew Carey bought it)

But Stu Holden coming all the way and scoring a goal? That's the bigger story to me. The possibility of a Holden/Bradley midfield has me positively optimistic.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    So, anyone thing that Dempsey will end up somewhere other than Spurs come September?

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hard to see Spurs getting back more than they paid for him. But, for options ...

No where else in England makes sense. The top clubs don't need him and he wouldn't play. Most mid clubs aren't shelling out big money for a guy that old. Maybe a return to Fulham, or a move to Sunderland, but I would doubt either.

I don't see a fit in Spain. Not Germany. You never know what PSG might do. I would love to see A.S. Roma buy him but that's probably more fantasy than reality. Maybe Galatasaray or Zenit.

But, in the end, staying put makes the most sense. Spurs still need depth, and Dempsey can play in so many spots he's more valuable the than any money they would get in a transfer.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Pretty much my thought process, too. Roma could be kinda fun to see, but I agree that it's not a likely destination.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  23. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    MLS Team to pay fans to drop chant

This is ridiculous. I know they don't want to lose fans, but paying them instead of saying "hey if you do this we will kick you out". That's too far, imo.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think it's genius, and I applaud RBNY. YSA is perhaps the worst change in the history of sports. Teams and the league have been trying to get rid if it through punitive measures for years. They've removed fans, taken away drum, flag, tifo or smoke bomb privileges, and reduced supporter ticket allowances. Using some carrot to replace some stick makes good sense to me.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000

Always glad to add to the AO family. Really hope that he improves big time at being a soccer commentator, though.