main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Congratulations to Landon Donovan, who last night turf Jeff Cunningham for #1 on the all time goals scored list in Major League Soccer.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Seattle has embarrassed the franchise tonight with their behavior, all play aside.

Dempsey clearly put off by it, especially since he's been out there with one arm hanging to his shoulder by a thread, it looks like. Gotta be regretting the move, I'd think.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Come on you Pharoes.

4. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, that was NOT how I wanted that to go

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Holy ****. What an end to that USA game. I have NEVER been so conflicted to see my team win.

Hopefully, doing the sportsman like thing and saving our risks earned us some good karma. Which I'd like to cash inv at the World Cup draw.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    That was a crazy finish with so many conflicting emotions. Mexico hanging on by their teeth. USA finish atop qualifying, that is nice to see.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Mostly in Spanish, very cool from Mexican television last night:

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Oh man, that announcer was pissed at the Mexican team

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I hope I NEVER forget the time Mexican fans were chanting "Vamos, Gringos, Vamos" and Mexican announcers proclaimed they love the USA forever.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Reports are that in addition to Friedel, GBS has interviewed for the Crew manager job. Reports are also that GBS is interviewing for the NYCFC job. I hope Precourt knows what a PR nightmare it would be to have GBS on the sidelines anywhere in MLS except Columbus. That said, Wynalda is still my first choice, but GBS is second.

I believe the list to be Friedel, Bliss, Harkes, and GBS. They might also see if anyone gets fired (Sigi, Bradley)

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Congratulations to the San Jose Earthquakes and Sporting Kansas City. Both qualified for the quarterfinals of Champions League last night. If Houston Dynamo can get a result tonight, we will have four MLS squads in the quarterfinals for the first time ever.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Dynamo loss means only 3 MLS teams. They join three Liga MX teams in the quarterfinals. And, as fate would have it, produce three MLS vs. Liga MX quarterfinal matchups. I'm already salivating over Galaxy-Xolos.

13. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Timbers!!!! Oh yeah!!!!

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice win for Portland on the road. Would be incredible if they win the cup and beat Dempsey, Donovan, and Henry along the way.

Dynamo vs Red Bull on NBC proper. Love it.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Landon Donovan was the correct response on Jeopardy tonight. Specifically, they referenced this:

And, as you know, I'll take any reason to post that video

16. OtakuJockJedi

OtakuJockJedi Jedi Knight

Jul 23, 2013
    So....the draw for the World Cup....not the easiest but I think they can get out of group play....it all centers on them beating Ghana first and foremost...then either tying Germany or Portugal and hoping they can get the tiebreaker to advance.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Inty (and others), what are your thoughts on Bradley coming back to MLS? Good, in that the league is bringing in more homegrown talent to put butts in seats - or bad, in that our number of national team guys in quality international leagues has nearly bottomed out.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I like it, for a number of reasons.

First, it's going to help MLS, which in itself helps domestic soccer in all forms. One thing holding MLS back is lack of TV ratings, and the money that will accompany that. Bradley, and Dempsey, help that. How? By helping to build a national TV audience. There are a lot of fans of soccer in the country, but they don't have interest in a random match of Columbus, Toronto, Salt Lake, etc. But, they wake up early to watch random games in Europe that feature USMNT stars. I think there's a decent chance they tune into MLS games to watch these guys, too.

Second, we now have THREE examples of Americans making MILLIONS to play soccer here at home. That's huge. Maybe some very good athletes in America who are okay at football or basketball but could thrive at soccer star to choose to pursue soccer? It's a long term gain, but we could see it in a few World Cup cycles.

Third, I like it for Bradley. Not just because he's getting paid, but that is part of it. But ... When you look at it, his options seemed to be 1) ride the bench at Roma, 2) MLS, or 3) go to low end of the table teams. I don't want our USMNT guys just playing on relegation threatened teams, is teams without ambition. I mean, I love Geoff Cameron, and he is having a great season with Stoke. But he's never, NEVER, going to feel the pressure of trying to win a title at Stoke. At TFC, Bradley can feel the pressure of championship games, being at the top of the table, and being the hunted. We need a mixture of guys in all kinds of settings. But our best players need to win silverware.

Finally, I like it as a fan of another team in MLS. Columbus had a bid in for Bakery, albeit much lower than TFC. Moves like this cause other MLS teams to have ambition, and let fans like me dream. Maybe Columbus can get Jermaine Jones? Or Michael Parkhurst. Or Jose Torres. Those moves are no longer just pipe dreams.

Darth McClain and s65horsey like this.
  19. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Honestly I think the American players feel safer playing over here. I also think it's good for practice time with USA.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And, today comes a report that Michael Parkhurst is leaving the Bundesliga and headed for ... Columbus. This Crew fan is EXCITED for it.

We truly are entering the era of MLS 4.0. Where Americans are either starting for good European teams, or staying/coming back to MLS.

Darth McClain likes this.
  21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Speaking of the crew, did you see what massive thing Brian Straus found in Morocco?

[​IMG]

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I did. Kind of awesome

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Maurice Edu the next USMNT player rumoured to be heading back to MLS. He's linked to Philadelphia Union, from Stoke City.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    LOL @ Vancouver Whitecaps FC

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    USWNT is going to play Russia?