main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why the MLS teams usually got owned by the Mexican in Champion League but the national teams are at most 50/50?

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The Eddie Johnson thing was slight surprising, but there is reason for it.

Number 2 is more motivation for me to move. No options with ESPN3 here... [face_plain]

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  4. mrdarthdan

mrdarthdan Jedi Master

May 15, 2011
    Just curious to see what others think about Klinsmans 4-4-2 diamond formation experiment in the last game against Mexico. Is this something Klinsman wants in his bag of tricks or was it just to give Beckerman a chance to show what he can do in a formation that he knows extremely well? I'm an RSL fan, and I'll be the first to acknowledge that the 4-4-2 diamond isn't wide enough to be able to control the midfield against the best football teams out there, but I'm just curious to have someone else's take on what Klinsman may be thinking about his formations.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Ugh. A PSL fan? You shouldn't admit that, especially in an introduction. :p But, seriously, Peasant Salt Lake is not a favorite around here.

As to your question on tactics, I don't think we'll see that in the World Cup. At least not for a long stretch. It worked in the first half against non European Mexico because it feed Bradley to attack, but I don't think the game plan to start in any World Cup game will be to have Bradley attack. I think we'll see a 4-2-3-1. Probably of the form

Howard
    Johnson Besler Goodson Cameron
    Bradley Jones
    Zusi Dempsey Donovan
    Altidore

With variations to starters based on opponents, and subs shifting the formation based on game situation.

6. mrdarthdan

mrdarthdan Jedi Master

May 15, 2011
    What's the big deal over being Real Salt Lake fan? I live in Salt Lake. Not the only team I follow anyway. But can you tell me why it's such a taboo around here? Seems like a jerk move to say that right out of the gate.

As for your tactical assessment, I think you'll probably be proven right. I'm a Beckerman fan(obviously), but he can't do what Klinsman usually asks Jones to do like getting forward and wreaking havoc all over the midfield.

I was just thrown off by a very different look in the Mexico game that we'll most likely never see again.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry ... not trying to come across as a jerk. Living in SLC is a legit reason to support them. I suppose.

Just, if you read back through this thread, there's not a lot we agreed on for support in MLS ... but we pretty much all agreed to hate Fake/Peasant Salt Lake

8. mrdarthdan

mrdarthdan Jedi Master

May 15, 2011

Not a big deal. I can handle any derision for who I support at the club level. Its part of the fandom really. I can admit that a good chunk of MLS supporters hate the fact that the league will suck compared to European football for a long time to come. Just have to enjoy it for what it is.

Also, I can at least get along with the fact that RSL kind of took the copout option when the took their name from a world renown club.

9. mrdarthdan

mrdarthdan Jedi Master

May 15, 2011
    accidental post

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Don't worry. MLS fan here. Prefer it to Europe.

Just HATE stupid names like Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA

Darth McClain and mrdarthdan like this.
  11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Likewise.

And the Hounds won tonight, 3-1. Hope that things work out in the draw for the next round.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    May 28, they will host RWB Adria, according to Columbus Crew on Twitter.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Today marks 15 years since what some consider THE landmark event in MLS history. The event that paved the way for legitimacy, designated players, TV contacts, and even success for the USMNT.

Today marks the 15 year anniversary of the opening of Crew Stadium in Columbus.

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Great first goal by the Crew, but PDX will get the lead back.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000

Yes, they are. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning. Hope that the Hounds can regain good form and beat RWB Adria again. Their offense was lacking tonight - they only were able to generate one real goal scoring chance.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The US Soccer team, featuring Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, and The Silver Surfer ...

[​IMG]

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No Donovan.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000

I have no words right now.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Klinsmann is taking a massive risk. Soccer fans know that Landon is probably a step slower than everyone on that roster, but God forbid the US goes 0-3 in that group, which they have a good chance of doing. He'll get fired before he can fly home, and will forever be known as the jerk who left the greatest American soccer hero at home for his last World Cup.

20. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah Wondo is a cherry picker. I would have rather Landon make it as a forward/mid.

Of course I have no say, so I can only just root for USA.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think it's very stupid.

Sure USMNT played well in most of the qualification matches without him, but you can see from Gold Cup and the other qualification matches that he is still the one with the most flair, off the ball running and could bury the chance. I don't see a reason to drop him, not at all.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Disappointed in no Donovan and no Parkhurst. But, care about the crest far more than I care about the name on the back. That said, this choice -and several others- are on Sunil Gulati. When he gave Klinsmann the contract extension, he effectively said the results within this World Cup don't matter. That gave Klinsmann the right to make this about 2018. Hence Green and Yedlin.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    So how's that man-crush doing?

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Timmy is still awesome

Darth McClain likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    135 (and 136)