main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Certainly the most important player in the history of the game in America. He's done it right, and done it well, for his whole career - certainly a resume to be proud of.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, he has. I'm glad that he gets to go out on his own terms.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    A fun tifo in Columbus last night

[​IMG]

Edit One to troll Donovan during his last game in Columbus, too:

[​IMG]

It reads "2013 New Heroes: Klinsmann". (I'm 99% sure this is part of the Dos a Cero tifo from last September vs. Mexico)

Of course, before the game, Donovan was honored (rightfully so, I believe):

[​IMG]

Included there are: A photo of Donovan's first National Team Goal at Crew Stadium, a listing of every game Donovan has played (Club and Country) at Crew Stadium, and a piece of the net from his goal against Mexico last year.

Darth McClain likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Beautiful night in horrible weather. The Rapids blow leads of 2-0 and 3-1. Landon Donovan scores the game winner. Five of seven goals are scored on the end of the field effete I was sitting. Yummy tears from Rapids fans.

Darth McClain likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    As I think the existing women's soccer thread is a parody at this point, we'll go here.

I was very impressed by the NWSL this season - no idea why I've watched so much, but I've Alex been able to Morgan catch a few games this season. With all seriousness, the high level of attacking play has been entertaining, and the league as a whole has picked up substantially from last year.

Love watching Rapinoe - she put in a brilliant goal to send the Reign to the final against KC next weekend. Her creativity and Pirloesque feeds are remarkable. With the WWC coming up next year, and the league bringing in stars from across the world, I think a big season (and hopefully some funding) will give this league the longevity it needs.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels, I love the NWSL. It's a phenomenal league. I haven't been able to watch at all on TV, but I've followed it via social media. Love that Merrit Paulson, one of the best owners in MLS, treats the Thorns as complete equals to the Timbers, and not as a step-child.

I would love to see a Women's Club World Cup. There are legit clubs over in Europe that I'd love to see go head-to-head with the NWSL teams.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Same here - I know that in the Seattle-Washington game on Sunday, they were referencing a few players who had come over from the Arsenal Ladies team.

There is a wealth of talent, and it seems to be spread very evenly - the CEO of the NWSL seemed to have reasonable expectations, too, which is great - the problems with a lot of these failed leagues is overextending too quickly. 9 teams is perfect for now.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  9. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    The NWSL was fantastic this year. I'm naturally spoiled as a Portland resident, but the overall quality of play in the league, attracting top international talent (Angerer! Vero! Catley!), has been really great. I'm hoping we'll see a surge of interest next year with the WWC and do another round of expansions in a couple years. I think it would be great to see a few MLS clubs bring in womens' teams. Some aren't crazy about that given the inequality between non-MLS-affiliated teams, but as long as we're profit-sharing, I think it's a great way to grow the league. Our players deserve better facilities, if nothing else.

It'll be interesting to see how the rosters shake out for next season. Supposedly the US, Canadian, and Mexican national team players will only be away for less than half the NWSL games, but it'll be a shame if we miss out on our other international players, or if half the season is significantly diminished in quality.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that the commish said there would be 20 games played next year - that's 4 less than this year, so they may take an NHL/Olympics style break.

11. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, they're taking off two weeks for WWC and running the season into September. They said the US/CA/MEX national players will miss 7-8 games, so it's still a pretty significant disruption for the league, although I'm not suggesting there was a better alternative.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sporting Kansas City got knocked around again tonight, this time by Houston Dynamo. This thumping gives them consecutive defeats while allowing three goals in each. In their last five, they've only managed four points, and have given up 10 goals in those five games. That's dropped them from Supporters Shield Contender to #2 in the East.

Of course, they aren't likely to fall much further than that. Jermaine Defoe is out for quite a while for TFC, meaning that while they have three games in hand on SKC, they probably won't make up all nine points in those three games. Columbus and RBNY follow, but they are pretty far back. It's still safe to say SKC will be one of the top-two seeds in the East for MLS Cup Playoffs, and have plenty of time to figure it out to defend their title.

Looking forward to Columbus-Montreal tomorrow, among all the college football. Columbus are on a tear, outscoring opponents 7-1 in their last two, and Montreal is pretty much the worst team in the league this year.

13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I saw some of that game, it was fun to watch.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible game from Columbus yesterday. Just terrible.

Offense was lifeless and incoherent. Only HiguaĆ­n seemed to actually know that for 90 minutes, you are allowed to attack goal. Plus, yellow cards to both Tchani and Trapp means both our starting central midfielders are suspended for accumulation next game.

Just ... ugh.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not in favor of bringing promotion and relegation to MLS, but starting to favor relegating Chivas USA.

Good Lord, what a terrible club.

14 goals conceded since their last goal scored.
    Averaging about fifteen paying guests per game.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Their operations are a disgrace, as well.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Carlos Bocanegra to retire at the end of the season.

Would be nice to see him get one last national team game in

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Been critical of his nat'l team play over the years, but he's on the Mount Rushmore of US Soccer, gotta think.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Maybe.

Donovan
    McBride
    Friedel

Leaves one spot. Maybe it goes to Boca.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nah, I would go to Dempsey, Reyna, or Howard before him. Maybe Beasley or Keller. And that's not taking Mia Hamm or Wambach into account.

I misspoke- he's great, but not at the very top.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, he's been great over the years. It'd be nice for him to get one last cap, but I'd be surprised if he got it.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Women's World Cup Qualifying draw was today. US grouped with Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, and Haiti.

The only question, really, is:

which is greater: USA Goal Differential or Max Length of time (in minutes) before US Scores in a game during group stage.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Riverhounds wrapped up their season last night. Unfortunately for them, they came up just short of the playoffs, but still had a great run after starting the season on a seven game winless streak. They have a lot of things to figure out this off season, like getting out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy and determining if the Houston Dynamo will continue their partnership with them or if they'll partner with another MLS side. The partnership between the 'Houds and the Dynamo was very fruitful for the 'Hounds, getting a solid keeper, Michael Lisch, and their defender of the year, Anthony Arena.

All in all, it was a good season. Danny Earls and Juan Angulo were among the bright spots...hope that they're back next year. I think that I went to nine matches this year between league play and the US Open Cup. If there is a next season (they've said that there is, but you never really know with the USL), I think that I'd probably bite the bullet and go for the full season ticket plan.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This thread needs a title change. Maybe "The Designated Player: The US Soccer Thread"

DMC, hopefully the Hounds figure it out. That stadium is too nice to not have a tenant.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's a beaut, no doubt about it.