main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Draw is a fair result. Neither team played their best. The real test comes vs Slovenia, because as previous world cups have shown we are very capable of losing to those type of teams.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, the US needs to play well against Slovenia. The Slovenians have some talented players, especially Milivoje Novakovic. Howard's gotta have a great game and get help from the defense.

3. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Slovenia bested Russia to qualify. Russia is a damn good team with a plethora of attacking options. In Euro 2008 the shredded the Dutch. But Slovenia was able to defeat them. If they can beat Russia they can beat us. Must be wary

4. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    [image=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/12/article-1286074-0A021D1E000005DC-161_634x441.jpg]

lol

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Currently watching the game on my DVR and I have the following statement to make:

Tim Howard is a BEAST.

Tonight, Chuck Norris will be waring Tim Howard pajamas.

6. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Wait... where can I also find these pajamas? Ol' Chuck shouldn't be the only one blessed to have a pair! :p

7. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
  8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I love that picture, Trikes. I saw the end of Algeria-Slovakia this morning. I wish that the Algerians would have held on to the scoreless tie, but it doesn't change to much for the US: we've got to beat Slovenia to advance. Germany - Australia coming up in about an hour...should be fun.

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ouch, Australia had a massive meltdown.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, they sure did. The weak red card against Cahill didn't help much, but the Aussies had a very poor outing.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That was a brutal game where they were just getting outplayed. At least from the 10 minute mark when I gave up on finding it online and went and watched it on tv to when I had to leave with about 10 minutes left.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I missed most of today's action. Saw the first half of the Ghana game and bits and pieces of the Algeria game. Games during the week will be played while I am at work, so I won't catch anything else live until Friday.

Also, a ban may be coming on the vuvuzela at the World Cup. It's only a slight annoyance to me watching on TV, but I can't imagine who annoying and loud they are in person. Peter King has been describing them as a 90 db bee hive.

13. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
  14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah my family has been discussing those over the last several games. I really think they drown out the crowd so much that it makes them a non-entity. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I think if people used them properly, ie when they got excited about a play or something, then it wouldn't be so bad, but they abuse them. I think for those in the US it would be like if everyone decided to bring lots of air horns and just blast them the whole game instead of just randomly.

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That was great.... although I'm notably partial to this: Italy is...USC: Everything you hate about the sport: Corruption, cheap shots, diving, thuggery, the sense of entitlement,

And yeah, in watching, the vuvuzelas are rather annoying just since they're ALWAYS going.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd be in favor of a ban as well. They are annoying at best and have overwhelmed the TV commentary at worst.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm in favor of the ban. I love hearing the chants that each country's fanbase do. You can't hear them at all with the annoying buzzing going on all the time.

18. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Funny thing... I actually don't have much of a problem ignoring them anymore. I remember them being really annoying last year, or whenever they sort of "debuted," but this year, it's not really much of a bother. My ears just naturally tune them out.

Or I'm just suffering hearing loss from last year's horns and don't know it. lol

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm going to say it's the latter. :p

Looks like Tim Howard should be able to play against Slovenia. His ribs are bruised, but he's "making progress".

20. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    A great win for Japan today.

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Paraguay! Whoaaaaaaa!

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The few times I've tried to watch, that damn buzzing drove me mad.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Another goalie goof...they just keep on coming.

Italy needs to figure out how to get some offense going on against teams that aren't ranked very high quickly.

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Did anybody listen to the Jim Rome Show today? He was making fun of the vuvuzelas for at least a half hour straight, asking his crew questions and then complaining that he couldn't hear them over the annoying sound, then taking calls and blasting the vuvuzela sound to drown them out. It was pretty hilarious. My coworkers had to ask me why I kept laughing.

25. World_Cup_Willie

World_Cup_Willie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    For the games I have watched they seem to have turned down the sound from the crowd. Vuvuzelas ( :) ) and all ( :( ). And they are still annoying.