main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    You've really got this whole "in with USMNTers on Twitter" thing down pretty darn pat. :p

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For s65horsey (Or ma_petite) ...

[​IMG]

(Ok, and for Tim. And Nate. Oh, and hell, for me, too).

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I got Tim Howard [face_love]

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  5. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    So Robbie Rogers simultaneously announced today that he is retiring from pro soccer and that he is gay. After reading his post I get the impression he felt like he couldn't be out and continue to play which is sad, but I'm happy he feels better about coming out. Also nice to see a general outpouring of support from former teammates and other players.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Really hope it's not linked. At least not in that way. I hope it's more of a "I'm torn with who I am right now and trying to focus on being a professional athlete is not going to happen in that mindset" as opposed to "I'm gay and you can't be a gay male professional athlete."

Hard to say.

I'll always remember Rogers for the goal he scored against Colorado in the playoffs for Columbus and for being one of the (relatively) few Americans to score a goal against Mexico.

Darth McClain likes this.
  7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I got Geoff Cameron.

And I definitely agree with Inty on Robbie.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I get the sense that Robbie experienced things as a player that make him feel one cannot be gay and play pro sports. Sadly, we are still seeing that there's tons of intolerance and pressure to stay closeted. A few months back there was a big uproar in Germany with a Bundesliga player who is currently playing, is gay, and gave an anonymous (and heartbreaking) interview about not being able to come out, not being accepted for who he is, because of the blatant homophobia inside the club and in the fans. Link: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1156143/gay-bundesliga-footballer-speaks-out?cc=5901

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    "He has chosen to remain anonymous as he feels that homosexuals will never fit with the heterosexual nature of football, while he also believes it would put his safety at risk."

Heartbreaking...

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    It also wasn't that long ago that the 49ers guy made those comments so even though this is a different sport it is definitely believable that those people exist in soccer as well. This is really disheartening though. I can't even put things into words what I'd like to say.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wrong football.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Very Heartbreaking. Intolerance is pretty much one of the worst things ever. However, Grant Wahl has a good piece on why MLS is the closest to being accepting of an openly gay male athlete. I am proud to support MLS, and was proud when they handed out suspensions from meaningful games for those who used homosexual slurs.

Unfortunately, even with MLS being the closest to being accepting, I can't see it happening for years.

And that sucks.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I will also say... Robbie is kinda good lookin. I wonder if he's single... :D

14. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Rogers' announcement only came across my radar because I closely follow the women's game and a bunch of them were tweeting their support for Rogers this morning.. Megan Rapinoe and Lori Lindsey both came out this year and seemed to suffer no backlash from the community or their teammates. And I can think of half a dozen other international players that are out. Seems that's one area women's soccer is a head of men. But while the women's game seems to be more accepting, I'm not sure how the sponsors and public would feel if it had been Hope Solo or Alex Morgan who had come out. With the way society is heading though I'll bet in the next few years, an active MLS or NHL player will come out.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's not a surprise. The straight community has long been far more accepting of lesbians than of gay men. Lesbians are "hot" e.g. Ross's ex from Friends. Gay men are repulsive. I've experienced it a hundred times.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Not to get too far off topic, but I'm not sure if straight guys fantasizing about me and my girlfriend is really more accepting than being grossed out by two guys. Honestly, I get creeped out by it quite a bit. I agree that society treats gays and lesbians differently. Just look at current TV, gays tend to be played for comedy while lesbians (or lesbian for an episode...)tend to kiss during sweeps week.

Back to soccer, I guess my point was just about perspective. For better or for worse, "the softball/soccer/basketball/lacrosse playing lesbian" seems to be a common stereotype, so perhaps it isn't a surprise when a female athlete comes out? And if you follow the team at all, it was pretty obvious that Pinoe was in a relationship with Sarah Walsh. Likewise, I will not be surprised at all if Wambach eventually comes out. But Alex Morgan? Heterosexual male fantasy? While I think she would have no problem with her teammates, I think there would be at least a bit of public backlash there. Both in terms of fans and sponsors. I'm not sure how coming out would affect a male player's sponsorship opportunities. I'm not as tuned into the male half of the game.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes gay athletes are somehow an affront to everyone's masculinity.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Seriously? I killed the discussion with that?

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It was more your affront to my masculinity.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I was being sardonic... and of course, you are not a "typical" homophobic straight sports fan, Inty. You are magical. :)

21. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Uh, you know how many times guys have told me they could "set me straight" or all I need is a good ********? Or my favorite, "what a waste" (that one was actually said to my girlfriend.) So yeah, apparently gay women are an affront to some guys' masculinity.

US Soccer gave full support to Rogers which was nice to see:
    "As a Federation we support all our athletes who have had the courage to address this deeply personal topic. We are proud of Robbie. He has been an outstanding representative of our National Team program for many years. We support him and wish him great success in the future."​

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Jozy Altidore bagged another goal for AZ today. That gives him thirty-one club goals since his last goal for the national team. Crazy. Also puts him one step closer to a big move in the Summer window. Maybe back to Spain? Or off to Italy?

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey Inty, look what I made:

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice. I like it.

BTW - did you know Rogers was thisclose to going to Portland? When his contract was up with the Crew, he wasn't getting the offers he thought he would from Europe, and debated staying in MLS. If he had, there was a trade in place to send him to Portland.

In other news, the US U-20's won their opening game of qualification for the U-20 World Cup.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah that's how I first heard of him. I sincerely hope he comes back to soccer. He's too good to walk away. I'd love to see him on the Fire. Or the Timbers. :D