main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    No, it's not a bad situation or depth chart, but, if the situation would come to it, I'd take Friedel over Hamid or Johnson easily.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am getting really fed up with these MLS refs not calling a single penalty kick for Portland. Last season we did not get a single one called for us. Now this season we already have two blatant fouls in the box that should have been penalty kicks, NOT called. It's pathetic.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. Eddie Johnson. Wow.

Seattle on verge of an amazing comeback and eliminating a Mexican side.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm still in semi-shock that they pulled it out. I didn't give them any chance to advance.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    That angle on the EJ goal. Beautiful. Played the 'keeper masterfully.

Let's see if Dynamo and Galaxy can make it three for MLS.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Dynamo got rocked.

Hope that Galaxy hold on to their halftime lead.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Seattle vs Hercules, again.

Edit: And Galaxy just got their insurance goal. The semifinals will be 50% MLS.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I forgot to mention it yesterday, but I got a phone call from the Crew yesterday. They must really want me to go out to Columbus. :p Seriously, though, I think that it'd be fun, but it'd be a drive.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Good article. Probably a good point on the reverse impact of home field advantage on the refs with over compensation.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Freddy Adu is nearing a transfer to Brazilian club Bahia. Looks like a good move, on paper. Brazil is a much better spot for his style of play than MLS (Freddy will always struggle with the overly physical). Good to get him some playing time, some confidence, and see if he can ever truly become a creative central midfielder.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Inty it's the only explanation for what is otherwise inexplicable. I've seen MANY of those blatant fouls that should have been called. Something is going on and I don't know what it is.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm guessing that in addition to being happy with the draw yesterday, you are pretty sure that was another Penalty uncalled for Timbers?

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I did not see the match. And I am not happy with the draw. The effing Timbers need to start winning.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    There was another call that probably could have been a PK for the Timbers that wasn't. Set of a serious of tweets to Merritt Paulson. hilarity ensued. Still - leaving the CLink with a point isn't bad.

Friday is game day - finally. A chance to erase the stink of the Honduras game, at least a little bit. Have my ticket, ready to go - just need this nasty head cold to go away. My throat needs to hurt from screaming, not from illness.

It's a bit odd to see all these projections of starting lineups with Guzan at GK. Just odd. Not that I don't have faith in the guy. It's just been Timmy ever since I started to seriously follow.

A little worried about the defense. Looks like, with Boca not called in and injuries to a bunch of Germans, we might see Cameron on one flank - as he plays for Stoke City - with Gonzo and Edu in Central Defense, with maybe Beasley or Goodson on the flank as well. Could see that flank exploited, especially with Costa Rica's talent in striking.

Of course - I'm fairly excited about our scoring potential, too. Jozy continues to look great for club, Herc is in beast mode right now, and Deuce is always a threat at the national team level. EJ has been rolling into for, too. Wouldn't mind seeing Jozy on the bench and throwing him at a tired defense for the last twenty minutes at altitude.

Also - Darth McClain ... like the Avatar I have for the game?

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I love your avatar. Great choice, since he's been named captain, and is, well, Duece.

Defense will be dicey...strange combinations have sort of worked out mostly alright for the USMNT before, but the thought of that combination against Mexico really scares me. Costa Rica, like you said, can expose it, too.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WCQ venues finally announced.

6/11 Panama in Seattle
    6/18 Honduras in Salt Lake City
    9/10 Mexico in Columbus
    10/11 Jamaica in KC

So, who's joining me in Columbus in September?

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm going to try to make it happen! Glad that the USMNT is playing there, and that Mexico is the opponent.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I got tickets to the USMNT match in Portland in July! :D

DarthIntegral likes this.
  21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sweet! That's pretty cool, Strilo.

It's match day! This is one of the few things that will pull me away from March Madness.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice Strilo.

And yeah ... Pumped for tonight ... Skipping out on the Ohio State game. My prediction is USA 3 - 1 Costa Rica. I see an early goal by the visitors putting us into panic mode, then the equalizer on a set piece from Omar. Bradley puts the US ahead on a sweet run of the ball, and Dempsey find the insurance goal on a clean up.

23. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    White US jerseys in a blizzard; nice :p

Dempsey!

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This is awesome to watch. Bad missed penalty on Clint, but I don't know how they can see anything out there.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Glad you guys could watch it. I could only experience the SnowClásico. Snow falling sideways and directly into my eyes made certain there was no watching at times.

LOVED Brad Guzan's performance last night. He was in total beat mode. DeMarcus Beasley had a hell if s game, too. And Deuce ... Well Deuce is always awesome.

The fan atmosphere wasn't anywhere near what Columbus had last year, buff the blizzard added something special. I'll get pictures up after I treat my hypothermia.