main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jovan Kirovski, Dortmund 1997 UCL over Juve.

Completely obscure, just got bored and researched it. Only American ever to win a UCL medal, in fact. I didn't think any existed! :)

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Good luck to Bradley and Roma. I almost bought a Roma shirt last time I was in the Eternal City...maybe next time.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I hadn't run across that one, just things from the major Pittsburgh newspapers. Thanks for the link - it was an interesting read, although I disagree with part of his assessment of the crowd. There were a lot of youth soccer coaches and organizers there who brought their players. Sure, there were some people who clearly hadn't really payed much attention to the sport before, but a lot of the people that I saw and overheard were soccer junkies. It was a great night for soccer, though, and I can't wait to go back. :cool:

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Based on yesterday's Thorns game, there can be no doubt:

Portland is Soccer City, USA.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes it is.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Jozy Altidore with two more goals and an assist today. Puts him at 30 goals for the season. Amazing.

Looks like we'll have another high profile Yank on the summer transfer watch list. Almost certainly, we'll have less drag out and less drama than Dempsey. I'd like to see AS Roma make a run at him, personally.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthIntegral You see this?
    [​IMG]

Looks like it's out now, but they don't know the cause. I'd guess some malfunction, but kind of scary, since it happened right before their game with United.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. Went to tune into the game and I was greeted by that. Kind of crazy. I couldn't resist the "scoreboard us lighting up joke". Good thing the Crew did light it up, in a very enjoyable 3-0 win over United. Dom had a very nice strike to open it, Josh Williams put away a corner, and then Higuain converted a PK just before half to ice it.

Portland got a nice win over Sporks tonight. I bet Strilo is thrilled.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Brian Sciaretta probably had the worse pun about the Crew's scoreboard fire. It's pretty crazy that it caught fire.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am thrilled! Wish I could have seen the match, but I was at a wedding.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    After today, Timbers might just be my new second favorite MLS team.

DMC ... River Hounds are hosting an Open Cup game on the 7th. You going?

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Wish I could...gotta work that night.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I just read about what the Timbers did...very classy all around. Looks like a lot of credit should go to the Timbers Army, too.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Both are classy organizations, if I may say so myself. Proud to be a part of the Timbers fanbase.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. Surprised to wake up this morning and see Monterey won CCL last night. I went to bed and it was 2-0 Santos, and that was with two away goals. In the 50th. Crazy.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Definitely didn't expect that score line for the CCL final.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Stu Holden is back! He's going to be called up to the May/June camp, as well as the Gold Cup.

Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Last night's Timbers game was frustrating. 28 shots and not one goal. 0-0 ties are the worst.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Apparently, Robbie Rogers does not want to play for Chicago if he comes back to MLS. He wants to play for the Galaxy. I guess I would be okay with this. Just don't want him playing for the Sounders.

21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Timbers got a big game Thursday night.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Just ordered tickets for upcoming Riverhounds matches - tomorrow night against Phoenix FC Wolves and Tuesday against RWB Adria in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. :cool: Should be a good time!

DarthTunick and DarthIntegral like this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Their stadium looks fantastic. Not quite PPL, bit for a lower division team, is amazing.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's awesome, let me tell you. It does a great job incorporating the skyline of the city. I'm going to bring a camera with me to one of the matches, maybe both. Hopefully I'll get some good pictures.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No they don't. They're off tomorrow.