Arena The Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, and Landon Donovan Mancrush Thread: The Arena's American Soccer Hub

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Jovan Kirovski, Dortmund 1997 UCL over Juve.

Completely obscure, just got bored and researched it. Only American ever to win a UCL medal, in fact. I didn't think any existed! :)
  2. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Good luck to Bradley and Roma. I almost bought a Roma shirt last time I was in the Eternal City...maybe next time.
  3. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  4. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I hadn't run across that one, just things from the major Pittsburgh newspapers. Thanks for the link - it was an interesting read, although I disagree with part of his assessment of the crowd. There were a lot of youth soccer coaches and organizers there who brought their players. Sure, there were some people who clearly hadn't really payed much attention to the sport before, but a lot of the people that I saw and overheard were soccer junkies. It was a great night for soccer, though, and I can't wait to go back. :cool:
  5. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Based on yesterday's Thorns game, there can be no doubt:

Portland is Soccer City, USA.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
  7. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Jozy Altidore with two more goals and an assist today. Puts him at 30 goals for the season. Amazing.

Looks like we'll have another high profile Yank on the summer transfer watch list. Almost certainly, we'll have less drag out and less drama than Dempsey. I'd like to see AS Roma make a run at him, personally.
  8. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    @DarthIntegral You see this?
    [IMG]

Looks like it's out now, but they don't know the cause. I'd guess some malfunction, but kind of scary, since it happened right before their game with United.
    Last edited by heels1785, Apr 27, 2013
  9. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeah. Went to tune into the game and I was greeted by that. Kind of crazy. I couldn't resist the "scoreboard us lighting up joke". Good thing the Crew did light it up, in a very enjoyable 3-0 win over United. Dom had a very nice strike to open it, Josh Williams put away a corner, and then Higuain converted a PK just before half to ice it.

Portland got a nice win over Sporks tonight. I bet Strilo is thrilled.
  10. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Brian Sciaretta probably had the worse pun about the Crew's scoreboard fire. It's pretty crazy that it caught fire.
  11. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I am thrilled! Wish I could have seen the match, but I was at a wedding.
  12. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    After today, Timbers might just be my new second favorite MLS team.

DMC ... River Hounds are hosting an Open Cup game on the 7th. You going?
  13. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wish I could...gotta work that night.
  14. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I just read about what the Timbers did...very classy all around. Looks like a lot of credit should go to the Timbers Army, too.
  15. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Both are classy organizations, if I may say so myself. Proud to be a part of the Timbers fanbase.
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Wow. Surprised to wake up this morning and see Monterey won CCL last night. I went to bed and it was 2-0 Santos, and that was with two away goals. In the 50th. Crazy.
  17. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Definitely didn't expect that score line for the CCL final.
  18. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Stu Holden is back! He's going to be called up to the May/June camp, as well as the Gold Cup.
    Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Last night's Timbers game was frustrating. 28 shots and not one goal. 0-0 ties are the worst.
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Apparently, Robbie Rogers does not want to play for Chicago if he comes back to MLS. He wants to play for the Galaxy. I guess I would be okay with this. Just don't want him playing for the Sounders.
  21. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Timbers got a big game Thursday night.
  22. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just ordered tickets for upcoming Riverhounds matches - tomorrow night against Phoenix FC Wolves and Tuesday against RWB Adria in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. :cool: Should be a good time!
    DarthTunick and DarthIntegral like this.
  23. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Their stadium looks fantastic. Not quite PPL, bit for a lower division team, is amazing.
  24. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's awesome, let me tell you. It does a great job incorporating the skyline of the city. I'm going to bring a camera with me to one of the matches, maybe both. Hopefully I'll get some good pictures.
  25. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    No they don't. They're off tomorrow.