main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.13 - Point of No Return - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So TCW ranks in the 501st seem to go:

General Anakin Skywalker
    Commander Ahsoka Tano
    Clone Captain Rex

Definitely simpler to follow than the EU's ranking system (if less thorough and less explained).

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

Esg likes this.
  3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's finally over.
    That is the best thing about this episode, that this godforsaken story arc is over.

The only positive things I have to say about this is that the station looked really cool and the explosion was very well done.

And that it is finally...finally...over.

Order66Survivor and 07jonesj like this.
  4. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    We... we did it.

Yes, we did.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, sounds like something out of Dora the Explorer. Has me imagine Gascon and WAC singing

We did it!
    We did it!
    We did it!
    Yay!
    Lo hicimos!
    We did it!

We snuck aboard a separatist frigate and stole an flash drive
    We did it!
    We did it!
    We did it!
    Hooray!

We crash landed on an empty Void and didn't kill ourselves from the insanity
    We did it!
    We did it!
    We did it!
    We did it!

We rescued a clone trooper from freedom so he would die for our mission
    We did it!
    We did it!
    We did it!

Then we stopped a Republic conference from blowing up and became heroes
    Yay!
    Whoo!
    Hooray!
    We did it!
    Whoo!

6. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Seerow

Grievous no sniping! Grievous no sniping!

Ahhhh! (cough)

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Saw it yesterday but didn't get around to posting my thoughts on here until now:

- So...no glorious Gregor return just yet?

- Okay, remember that awesome preview clip that basically gave away the major plot twist that the ship actually being commanded by the Separatists. Well, that scene was awesome. But in the context of the episode it simply fell flat. Why did they have to give away that they were walking into a trap from the moment they set foot on the ship? Couldn't they have just shown the shuttle land in the hangar, cut straight to our heroes walking up to the bridge, obviously befuddled by the lack of crew members during their way up and BAM- they notice they're surrounded by holograms.

-Gascon... *sigh*. I love this character when he has his straight-forward, no nonsense moments. The speech he delivered after one of the droids sacrificed himself was very moving. It was staged beautifully, too. The way the Colonel was basically just seen in silhouette, with the exception of lights reflection in his eyes made it work perfectly. But because the character has been so completely inconsistent it made no sense to have the droids ask him to give one in the first place.

If only they had depicted the character seriously, instead of overconfident and frightful. Have him be the character he wishes to be seen as, only everyone else judges him purely on his size an appearance. That would have made for a very interesting dilemma.

- SECURITY BATTLE DROIDS! I seriously WOOOOHHOO'd during that moment. Why couldn't they have included these characters from the get-go and for that matter, I still don't see the point why they, or Commanders need backpacks, since the lack of which made these characters stand out from Infantry Droids- ah what the hey, JOY![face_dancing]

- I know we've seen Battle Droids on a Jedi Cruiser bridge before in the Eeth Koth episode, but boy is it a unexpected direct visual blend between the Trilogies whenever it happens. Especially since this one featured a Battle Droid head pop-up moment.

- I found that slapsticky bit of the two Battle Droids trying to lift crates while being mindful not to strain their backs hilarous.

- Neat Buzzdroid swarm scenario!

- That Droid General had a very interesting motivation going. He seemed convinced that blowing himself up for the greater cause was the way to go. I don't remember a TCW Droid acting this... selfless before.

- That explosion! OMG that wonderful explosion! Back at CIV, when they first released the teaser trailer to an audience and that shot of the bridge of a Jedi Cruiser being hit by debris from another Cruiser destroyed by the Malevolence moments earlier came up I got MAJOR goosebumps. The same reaction set in during this explosion. There's just something about people looking out the window at gigantic debris drifting towards them. I applaud the sound designers for that wonderful implosion/ explosion sound effect. =D=

- R2's fluent maneuverability went a little too far but I guess it was necessary for the speedy escape.

- R2 drifting around lifelessly in space, blown to bits, was a bit of shocker. I enjoyed Anakin's display of attachment towards him, and especially that genuine relief heard in his voice as he saw again. However, I just wish they hadn't repaired him in a nano-second and instead shown him in his badly damaged stage making his first conscious beeps again. I think that might have worked better dramatically.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I definitely agree with this. I don't hate the idea behind Gascon, but instead what they did to him. Each time he learned a lesson, the subsequent episode would jump back to square 1 and wipe his morality slate clean. He never learned a thing, to the point it almost seemed as if there was a different writer for each episode, none of whom were in communication with each other.

Gascon had his great moments -- such as the aforementioned speech. He's such a great speechmaster you almost want to believe him. Except none of the speeches abide with his personality. His speech in the first episode about what an honor it was to serve with the droids? Clearly not an honor based on his verbal abuse to them in the very next episode. His speech about his commitment to look at life from a different POV after the Void? Nixed that idea after he got back to civilization. His speech about remembering Gregor? Out of site, out of mind. His speech about BZ? Probably forgot who he was giving the speech about halfway through.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Dora the Explorer is often a better show than TCW so this is somewhat fitting.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I have never been so glad a story arch was over. That was painful. These episodes (minus the one with the clone in it) were utter and complete pointless filler. So exhausting to watch. I just wanted them to end already so we could move back into things that are worth watching.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    QFT, word for word.

Maybe they'll retcon and blame it his selective amnesia on a magnetism induced trauma while riding inside BZ in the first, long exposure to heat in the second, eating rotten garbage in the third and head trauma caused by the massive explosion in the forth episode. ;)

Barriss_Coffee and 07jonesj like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just watched it.

--"Shut up, Gascon" was the repeated thought in my mind during the first several minutes. So much for redeeming himself.

--But...holy ****, ship hijacking. Using the ship as a bomb. Scary as hell no matter what the universe. But...Gascon still won't shut up. At the 7-minute mark, I was wishing R2 would throw him out of the ship.

--R2 proves himself a badass from the outset. His chasing Mouse Droid was hilarious, as was the massive droid fight. My son laughed his ass off at the Viewmaster droid unsuccessfully trying to climbing the step.

--Who the hell made a "Republic Strategy Conference" and ****ing publicized it?

--"It's a trap!" Shut up, Gascon. And for ****'s sake, an eulogy for a droid in the middle of a battle?

--Anakin appears for a few seconds before needing to shut up as well.

--As several others have said, that explosion was awesome. As was Obi-Wan's smartass comment afterwards.

--Anakin's attachment to R2 re-emerges. Not that I care, it was just interesting.

2/10, only for R2. anakinfan is not amused and needs more wine.

13. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    It's finally over, besides Missing in Action and that was mostly for Gregor, this arc did almost nothing for me. It wasn't like the Young Jedi arc where I didn't have much interest in the story or the characters but was nicely written and all the episodes ranged from good to fantastic, this just felt like a waste of time honestly. I understand the need to have cheesy episodes every once in a while, an episode where R2, C3-PO or other droids are the stars, that's fine but to waste 4 episodes on following droids with only two of them we really can understand just feels wasted. Should of been a one and done episode, maybe stretch it to two.

I'm still not the biggest fan of bring Maul back but the way they've handled him has been fantastic and I really expect the Mauldalore arc to be nothing but fantastic. I can't wait for it.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Looks like ima pull a GG and skip this arc :p

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I had the complete opposite reaction - I felt really bad for that little guy. In fact, I may have said "Awww..." out loud.

And then they just blew his head off! I cared about that droid 100x more than Gascon and WAC, yet look at the difference in screen time. Crazy.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, now I feel bad for him. :(

Pretty much anyone in this episode is more sympathetic than Gascon and WAC, including the Separatist battle droids.

Order66Survivor and 07jonesj like this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I haven't minded the droid episodes up until now. I like getting the occasional cheesy, slap stick, Rocko's Modern Life-ish stuff like 'Evil Plans" and "Mercy Mission" or even "Secret Weapons'. I haven't watched the complete arc yet, I really liked two of the episode but I'm also glad its over and ready to move on. I'm getting burned out on the long arcs. I like them when there is enough story for them. Now that its over its even more apparent how easily this arc could have worked as a two parter. Glad we got Gregor out of it. Glad we're moving onto bigger things. I am getting disheartened by two arcs in a row having really dissatisfying ending after putting me through 4 parts.

I have to say it, Gascon's character reminds me of Darkwing Duck (the character, LOL) alot. He's got an ego like a dachshund who thinks he's a big dog. The way he narrates what he's doing, the way he introduces himself, the way he often treats everyone else around him like lower life forms yet truthfully gets attached to them, and his way with speeches. I think like with DW that ego overrides the sensibilities and thus he seems to slide backward. He just lacks DW's bravery and optimism. Gascon is so quick to throw in the towel and think he's going to die and this ended atleast three times with someone else sacrificing themselves. If DW is Gascon then WAC is Launchpad who isn't the smartest glowstick in the rave and more often than not bungles things up but acts DW's moral compass and keeps him headed in the right direction. I thought they were a neat duo. Lets not get dangerous for a long time if ever again however.

I felt sorry for that little droid as well. That sucked to get stuck at the step and I also was rooting for him to somehow make it across or... better yet not to do it. Reminded me of when the Wildebeest try to cross the Mara River and the crocs are waiting for them but they have to try to cross. Man! Then again I also felt sorry for the Roomba I briefly had that decided to try and vacuum down my stairs. The brochure said it had a sensor that told it to avoid stairs. x.x;

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I really enjoyed this episode and the whole arc.

19. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Great episode. Wasn't a big fan of the rabbit droid and some parts felt rushed. Loved the explosion though. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw Yularen and he had a new model. Bring on Maul!

20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I've said before in LACWAC, I love the episodes that focus on R2 and 3PO. Whether it's "R2 Come Home", "Evil Plans" or the season 4 duology, I just find the droid duo incredibly funny.

The other characters TCW has used for comedy have all failed abysmally for me though. Jar Jar, Gascon, WAC. They all share a key common trait though. They're all really obnoxious, in-your-face... tip for TCW team. Those characters are ANNOYING!

Props for Jar Jar being funny in "Supply Lines" and not annoying in the Mon Cala arc.

21. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Agree with everything !!!

Also on the line of "it's a trap!" And highly unnecessary references to the movies.

When R2 is "fighting" the STD next to the detonator, Gascon and co. See them through the window from below. Maybe it's just me but this was intended to look like the Vader-Kenobi ANH duel from the POV of Luke.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Jar-Jar only kinda worked for me in "Supply Lines" and it was kinda funny when he met with Grievous. WAC is a character I have a hard time disliking since yeah I kinda relate to his clumsiness and he's also pretty much a toony Daffy Duck type of character. He also seemed to homage Alpha 5 from Power Rangers in appearance, voice, and general obnoxiousness. I still wish they would have gotten Richard Horvitz to voice WAC. Gascon isn't a character I particularly like nor hate. I found him annoying in "Secret Weapons" but he grew on me in Void when he was going insane fearing death from dehydration trapped in the wasteland.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003

24. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Or to Bridget:
    [​IMG]

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011