main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.14 - Eminence - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine never intended to let Dooku be his long term apprentice, his target was Anakin from the beginning yes.

But if Anakin could not actually show his potential after so many battles and increased his fury, then he had no place among the Sith, Palpatine would just go find another apprentice. Maul is different, he's not too old.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Yes, it is a problem. It's not like "nah, don't worry about it" is going to calm someone's suspicions (and in the case of the Sith, suspicions wouldn't be misplaced). Dooku is only a Sith because Maul was believed dead. There can only be two. Maul still being alive hurts the legitimacy of Dooku's claim as a Sith, since under the Rule of Two there can only be two, and the one that was believed to be dead, wasn't. Dooku should feel threatened by Maul. For Palpatine to get chummy with Maul and begin to use him again should only escalate Dooku's feelings of being threatened. Sidious saying "don't worry about it, I'll let you kill him" wouldn't go over - unless Dooku was a complete idiot - any better than it went over when Dooku told Sidious that he had no intention to betray him.

As for Anakin: crying at a funeral over a decade ago because someone close to you was murdered I find way less personal than Dooku trying to kill Anakin directly, trying to kill Padme, and cutting off Anakin's arm.

3. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Palpatine never cloned Maul, that was the Prophets of the Dark Side.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It worked on Dooku, Palpatine was trying to corrupt Anakin but he's not worried too much, why would he worry about Maul, a simple tool that's going to die(mostly at his own hand) for sure?

Maul killed who built Anakin from a slave to a Jedi, without Qui Gon he wouldn't be able to start the relationship with Padme either. He's a great father figure in and it's not like Maul would not harm his loved ones.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine was clearly behind it, he used it to test Vader's strength and killed those prophets after Vader proved himself.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Dude, use your edit button. Stop spamming this thread with double posts.

Paul22Scholes likes this.
  7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    That damn maintenaince thing happened right before I was able to post my comments.:oops:

Nice action and all but pretty pointless recruiting episode.

+Action scenes (Pre was badass)
    +New aliens (even though they hardly had any role)
    +Black Sun and falleens

- They recruited army too easily
    - Mustafar (no point to use that- Nar Shaddaa or something would've been better)
    -They had no guts to kill of any bounty hunter we know and Sugi and Embo were too powerful compared to sith
    -Whole thing lacked a real interesting plot and was more like one sentence of a newsreel "Darth Maul allies himself with the Death Watch and recruits army with the help of crime syndicates"- of course all this was just preparations but anyway....

Hopefully this arc gets more interesting in the second episode (surely it gets) since this one was bit hasty and recruitment was too easy....

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I was expecting Embo to go, which I felt was going to throw off Clovis whenever that arc comes (Embo was shown in footage from that arc).But nope. Every bounty hunter gets to walk away.

Embo didn't make me cringe as much as Maul's inability to hit an unarmed Sugi rolling from side to side [face_frustrated]

9. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    No, I don't think so. This is different. I think Maul is something Sids would handle himself. Like I said, Maul is calling himself a Sith Lord & now saying he is the true Sith. That's a challenge to Sids so I don't think he's going to let his apprentice, Dooku, be his reply. Oh, he might use Dooku in some way, but in dealing w Maul its going to b personal.

10. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Enjoyed this episode. Looking forward to the rest of the arc.

Hasn't been proven, that's your opinion.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I've wondered if the means by which Maul survived will play into it. Nobody to my knowledge in universe has actually explicitly stated "Maul cheated death." But OOU with Filoni's comments that Maul survived because "the Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural," and IU with Obi-Wan's disbelief that Maul could have survived, I feel like it's there in between the lines that Maul cheated death, something Sidious only says one had achieved.

The films implied Plagueis, though Plagueis' fate indicates otherwise. Maul survives being bisected, and rather than sending Dooku to deal with Maul (Dooku would likely kill him), I'm wondering if Sidious wants to go himself so that he can actually witness for himself what Maul is capable of.

Plagueis is electrocuted to death via Sith Lightning. In the trailer we see Maul similarly at Sidious' mercy. He survived a bisection. What if he survives that kind of torment as well and survives what Plagueis could not? Would Palpatine still obsess over killing Maul or would he want to study Maul/torture him to learn how to do what Maul has done? The Sith obsess over clinging to life, if Maul proves resilient, that seems like something Palpatine would take interest in and not something he would want left up to Dooku.

12. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Enjoyed this episode! Sets the rest of the arc up nicely! It was a bit fast paced but its the only thing that counts against it!

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He is a Sith Lord with the title of Darth before Naboo crisis already, and Sidious called him "Lord Maul" in the novel of EP I.

14. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I liked it but I doubt I'd ever watch this again. This entire thing is set up like checking off a To-Do List rather than an engaging plot.

-How would the Mandalorians react to Deathwatch and a bunch of filthy, dumb, off-worlder scum coming to take over Mandalore? Will they address this or sweep it under the rug?

15. Levo

Levo Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2012
    I imagine Death Watch will defend Mandalore from the off-world scum, Maul's a schemer.

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That's... sort of how it goes like. Trust me, I read the book adaption of the arc. I already know what's going to happen.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This was pretty badass.
    The bounty hunters were a bit too powerful against two Sith, but hey, great action.
    Really enjoyed the episode, this is the Clone Wars that I've come to know and love! Bring it on!

And I sincerely hope they succeed. I hope they retake Mandalore from those boring pacifists and get rid of Satine. She's one of the dullest characters there is and an offense to all true Mandalorians!

Ahm.

Anyway, it would really piss me off if the "bad guys" lose yet again. Go Mauldalorians!

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree. It was a really good episode, but somewhat fast paced. Uh well, at least they got to the point, which is the new Sith creating an army. It makes sense that they would, and it's everything I imagined them doing.

I loved Maul's new legs, but I was hoping his brother would revert back to his old size by now. I guess Talzin's Force magic is permanent.

The only real gripe I have is with how the Sith are portrayed (and the Jedi for that matter) as not being as powerful as I thought they would be, mainly the Sith not being able to Force-choke multiple dudes and all. They seem rather weak when fighting against non-Force Borns.

But regardless, this was an interesting episode and I'm sure the Clone Wars will get even better, now.

19. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    True...b4 he died. He's been replaced. Also he is not THE Dark Lord. He was the Apprentice. Sidious is THE Dark Lord.
    He's set up a Master Apprentice thing with his bro. With him as the Master. That's NOT gonna fly w Sids.

If this were a lesser issue I could see Sid just sending Dooku. But this is not the case.

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  21. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Not sure if I liked that this seemed rushed or not.

-for being rushed
    +for moving this arc along.

22. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    This also brings up another issue: when they split, which sides will the cartels take? Or maybe they'll just flee?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Deathwatch invades, somehow hides their involvement with the off-world invaders, secretly kills Satine, frames the cartels, then pretends to rally Mandalore against the invaders they brought?

pronker likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Fast-paced for sure and some darn good fights. Embo, Sugi slugging it out with the brothers and surviving - pretty impressive (though why Maul didn't Force choke the "dog" or something...).

But - it was all action, action, action...at least on first viewing. In context of all 4 episodes it may fare better because there WAS a lot to cram into one episode and that is far better than stretching it over 2 or 3 or more. The action just overwhelmed anything else on first viewing.

IMHO not as good as Revival, not even close, but darn better than some episodes. And to those who more or less said Maul/Opress episodes are filler - well, if so, they're darn good filler. I kept an open mind re: Maul's resurrection. I hated it the idea and I still do- but they have made good use of him so the execution is good.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    After that droid fiasco, action and badass one-liners are all I need to make me happy, hah.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Both the master and apprentice under Rule of Two are Dark Lords of the Sith. It's no longer the title of the leader of the Sith.

So he just thought he was still the Dark Lord, that's not a big deal, and with half machine he's weaker than before. Sure Sidious would want to kill him but he could also use him first, and then let either Dooku or Anakin kill him since they both hate Maul.

Why would Palpatine have to go by himself, with the risk to expose himself to either side, especially the Jedi?